kata (Read 6248 times)
Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
kata
Oct 30th, 2005 at 4:15pm

is that how its spelled?

any way how important do you think doing kata's are in any kind of martial arts? I will sometimes kick the air just because i like doing it, then someone saw me kicking the air, and asked if i was doing a kata. So i got to thinking how usefull is doing kata's? would kicking the air help me if i wanted to kick some one?

I have kicked the air a few times in my boots, then i kicked a tree in my boots, hitting the air was easy, and went smoothly hitting the tree set me off balance and i almost fell over. A human is softer then  a tree yes, but how much   more diffrent? 

i know that kata's are no substatute for the real thing.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: kata
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2005 at 6:52pm

they look cool

zero tolerance=zero intelligence

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 8:47am

lmao - katas or forms actually have a very important part to play in martial arts. Essentially they are training your body to react in a certain way in certain situations. They also give exercise, aid stretching help in getting proper technique.

It's a wee bit more than just kicking things lol

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 4:54pm

well the nunchaku forms look pretty kick ass i dont know if doing kata with your hands would help but with weapons they benifits are enourmous

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 8:18pm

yes with weapons it is very helpful.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 8:32pm

hand placement mostly

IP Logged

Stenny
Funditor

Don't laugh at me, I can
sling in every direction!

Reply #6 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 4:20pm

They are useful IMO, but nothing extraordinary. And this is said by person with a golden medal from katas on world open championship Smiley. I like them, they teach you how to do the moves smoothly, fast and without thinking about them. But sparring with a other human is more important for me, as it will give you a much more "realistic" feeling for your abilities - especially if you and your sparringpartner are playing it hardball.

Slinger, martial artist, knife thrower, blowgunner and general weirdo since 1998.&&Proud owner of official Zombie hunting permit and scars to prove it's worth.&&Underestimating a fighter or a weapon is the surest way to make plastic surgeons happy.

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 4:23pm

the problem with sparring is that generally you only sparpeople that train in the same discipline so you pretty much know what they are goin to do for ex. no one will sucker punch you

IP Logged

Naiyor
Descens

My sling-a-ling, My sling-a-ling,
I want you to..

Canada
Reply #8 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 3:03pm

I have read some articles both for and against Kata:

some people say that in organized dojo's (where students pay for lessons) kata allows the teacher to suckout more money because students have to pay to do katas before moving on to new material.

...I don't agree with that.

Having dabbled in karate...very briefly...I agree with the
"training the mind" path. after so many repititions it just becomes natural and you subconsciously react.

Not that I am an expert or anything....

just my thoughts

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 3:21pm

bear in mind that forms in chinese martial arts have slightly different purpose to those in japanese arts.
Both however are about  alot more than just taking money :-)

In order to train your body to react instinctively to any given situation you have to practice those moves over and over and over and over. It's ingraining it into body and bone and unthinking reactions.
Yes hitting someone else is more fun - but to hit someone without thinking about how you are going to hit them takes a helluva lot of training - most of which will be done on your own. By learning a form or kata that you repeat over and over - you are training those moves into your body's instinctive memory.

Martial arts isn't instant :-) All the really good guys have been doing it their entire lives. My teacher has been doing chinese martial arts for over 30 years - does he still regularly do forms ? yes.
That's good enough for me :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Stenny
Funditor

Don't laugh at me, I can
sling in every direction!

Reply #10 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 4:19pm

Ben: Oh yes, that's why I mentioned "playing it hardball" - me and my friends are sparring like we would fight in a real life - only with a lesser force. Kicks to legs, groin(we wear cups, of course), head, using branches broken from a tree... anything is allowed as long as it is at least a bit safe. One of my friends train TKD like me, another trains some mixed arts and he is using knife, another trains judo, another trains capoeira, yet another one uses a tonfa and trains okinawan karate, so I have plenty of different partners for sparring Smiley.

Slinger, martial artist, knife thrower, blowgunner and general weirdo since 1998.&&Proud owner of official Zombie hunting permit and scars to prove it's worth.&&Underestimating a fighter or a weapon is the surest way to make plastic surgeons happy.

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 5:24pm

anyone else watch UFC?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 5:26pm

yep seen it. Generally seems to become a ground based wrestling match.
Nothing wrong with that, it's just not pretty to watch lol

IP Logged

Fritz_the_Cat

Eat Danish cheese

Detroit Michigan USA
Reply #13 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 7:47pm

A balance of kata and free style fighting I believe is the best . With kata you have an enclycopedia of moves . With sparring you get to tryout these moves and see what works best for you .

My second martial arts instructor got me interested in Okinawan karate by showing me how to use nunchakus . I was impressed by the flashy techniques but got into the real thing later . Now nunchakus don't have my interest as the rest of the art .

Another instructor told me its not why you start a martial arts program but why you stay... Grin

There are some very short katas , look up the Japanese  sword fast draw art .

Lo there do I see my Father , Lo there do I see my Mother , and my Sisters and my Brothers, Lo there do I see a line of my people back to the beginning, Lo they do call to me they bid me to take my place among them in the halls of Vahalla where the brave may live forever

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #14 - Nov 5th, 2005 at 6:55am

now should i do the same series of moves each time? high kick step low kick repeat? or should i mix it up?

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)