Send Topic Print
aeneid (Read 4461 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
aeneid
Oct 30th, 2005 at 10:54am

Just got done reading the Aeneid. Its the story of refugees from the Trojan wars, and how they founded Rome. Anyway, ther are great references to battle slings in there. Here are the 2 that I liked.
" Mezentius laid aside his spear. He drew back a whistling sling bolt on its thong, swung it around his head 3 times, hit the foeman full in the front with the now molten lead, split apart his forehead in the center, and stretched him out full length on the sand"
and "His helmet rang about his throbing brow with incessant noise;the solid bronze began to gape under the rain of stones."

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Re: aeneid
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 11:00am

That's awesome. In the second quote who is "his" referring to?

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 1:28pm

Aeneas, the hero of the story. I like the fact that it mentions the glandes melting in the air. Since lead melts at around 500 degrees, how fast would that thing have to go to have the friction get to that temperature?

Right! You have to have arm muscles like Godzilla to do it!

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 3:31pm

He must have been slinging on a *really* hot day Wink

Matthias

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 8:33pm

hmm. who knows maybe the molten sling ammo is actually some secret weapon. quite graphic description Grin.

is that second reference from during the trojan war (thus fired from greek slings), or Aeneas's wanderings?

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 9:22am

His wanderings, with the fight with the people that were in Italy at the time he showed up.
   What the Romans were trying to do, I think, is use this as proof that they were direct decendants of Aeneas. This would give them a bit of propoganda.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: aeneid and iliad
Reply #6 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 4:38pm

also this from the Iliad Smiley

, but the Locrians did not follow so close after the son of Oileus, for they could not hold their own in a hand-to-hand fight. They had no bronze helmets with plumes of horse-hair, neither had they shields nor ashen spears, but they had come to Troy armed with bows, and with slings of twisted wool from which they showered their missiles to break the ranks of the Trojans.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 4:01pm

Sounds like a nasty nightmare  Shocked

Grin SlingWolf Grin

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 8:05pm

My signature
"The Locrian squadrons nor the javelin wield,
Nor bear the helm, nor lift the moony shield;
But, skilled from far the flying shaft to wing,
Or whirl the sounding pebble from the sling;
Dexterous with these they aim a certain wound,
Or fell the distant warrior to the ground."
comes from the Iliad. Sounds like the locrians were possessive of some pretty nasty firepower in the slinging department.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 8:14pm

*cowers in fear*  Cry

Grin SlingWolf Grin

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Chris, David Morningstar)