Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Views on Primitivism? (Read 10592 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Views on Primitivism?
Reply #15 - Oct 30th, 2005 at 5:06pm

there are tribes of aborigenes in australia who have gone back to their old lifestle. What they can remember of it.

Personally I could use a bit of primitive as a holiday, but full time ?
No way. I like electricity and medicine and food :-)
And did primitives have chocolate ? NO. So sod 'em :-)
lol
it's a nice ideal but as a way of life it sucks.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #16 - Oct 30th, 2005 at 6:57pm

Quote:
They would go to somewhere more like.....Newfoundland. 

would? why?

sv

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #17 - Oct 30th, 2005 at 8:46pm

Oh yeah!What happens when one gets appendicitis in the wild...... Shocked

I agree with SMUDGE,because we already knew the comfort of the modern life,we won't be satisfied by the primitive life. UndecidedIt would be miserable. Undecided

Honestly ,  I don't like this society.We human are too dependant on the society to live.I have to study hard in order to get a job.I'm still studying.Why not learn how to hunt animals for food.

But,because I already knew the comfort of the modern life,it would be miserable to live in the wild.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #18 - Oct 30th, 2005 at 8:56pm

Living primitive! I have lost site of what that really means I mean if I build My own hydro gen from scrap. Is electricty o.k If I have a hidden garden in the wilderness of oregon with cabbage, carrots, garlic and  potatos is that primative. I understand where Gun is coming from beleive me Gun up in the north west you can loose cilvation but alas. the seasons for hunting are still present. only kill the kings deer when he says so.!
not to mention that sometimes you have to pay to enter the king's forest

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #19 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 6:35pm

I agree living alone in the wild would be hard, but if you had a sort of group system tribe it wouldnt be so hard...
And...when I go to Newfoundland, we dont buy our food...We only eat what we've hunted and....we dont gather but we eat what we grow ourselves.

I would personally go to someplace like Newfoundland because it would be easy to live in the wild....there is abundant and accessible holistic medicines and many places like caves, safe from the brutality of nature and weather to live in peace..The weather is mild unless you live on the shore, by the ocean and if you live in a city it can be dangerous. Living in the city is harder than living in the country, sometimes snowbanks get up to 12 feet high on the roads.The people where I go are already pretty old fashioned themselves and are also rely strongly on those in their communities...they build their own homes out of what theyve salvaged on their own with no money spent....they hunt and grow their own food and most dont have to pay taxes on their homes..
The only problem is that in the modern age, it gets quite hard. The more modern people, the government and the Americans can kick them off their properties because they didnt buy the land and own no deeds...basically squaters rights.

And, honestly...being shunned by society wouldnt bother many people a bit. I spend most of my times in the wild with animals anyway. I never see anyone outside of school and then, Im forced to see these people against my will.

But I will admit.. I will miss metal music.

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #20 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 8:46pm

How about you go to Newfoundland and live in a cave, and write all of your thoughts on the walls of the cave as long as you have your sight and your fingers.  Then I'll adapt a movie script version of your experiences and voila! a new compelling motion picture about the human fight for survival!

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #21 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 8:47pm

Quote:
But I will admit.. I will miss metal music.

Amen to that  Grin

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #22 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 8:48pm

By the way, you won't miss metal music, you'll probably miss anti-diarrhea medicine and antibiotics.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #23 - Nov 2nd, 2005 at 8:02pm

well maybe would should just stick to primitve camping for the week Smiley

metal? come one rock n roll! Grin

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #24 - Nov 2nd, 2005 at 9:09pm

Sludge, why would I miss something Ive never used or wanted to. I prefer to use holistic medicines anyway. I've only even used normal otc pills once, when I got environmental poisoning from coming back to old filthy technologically polluted Ontario..heh, go figure.

You wont change my mind as much as I will change yours on our differing views of the subject. So please, stop acting like you will somehow change it. Oh, and I'll be seeing you in about 20 years about that movie. I want a 30,000 BC type plot...Something in black and white with some deadly dinosaurs and an ill-mannered man from another tribe. Or maybe a Quest for Fire theme....That would be a good one!

So instead of becoming defensive, just discuss the issue. My opinion is mine, yours is yours and lets leave it at that.

Nah, metal man! I would miss my folk metal and viking metal. No more "Odin Owns Ye All" would make me sad.
Wink

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #25 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 9:07am

Bjarn - I think you've missed the point of 'discussion' or arguing as I like to call it :-)
The entire point of having an argument is that you are trying to change the other persons opinion :-)
That's the whole fun of it.
Obviously the better the arguer the more you believe it was your idea in the first place. So while someone just plain telling you you're wrong is still arguing - it's not very good arguing and should be treated as such. But by entering into discussion on a subject you are effectively soliciting someone elses point of view and therefore shouldn't really whinge when they argue back at you :-)
(can you tell I'm currently avoiding work lol)

As for missing metal - take an mp3 player and a solar powered battery charger - the entire manowar back catalogue will fit onto 1gb (including the 2 live double albums). You could always claim it was a found artifact. Primitives used tools, so why not use a modern tool for music :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #26 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 11:06am

[quote author=curious_aardvark  link=1130637035/20#25 date=1131026841]As for missing metal - take an mp3 player and a solar powered battery charger - the entire manowar back catalogue will fit onto 1gb (including the 2 live double albums). You could always claim it was a found artifact. Primitives used tools, so why not use a modern tool for music :-)
[/quote]

They're not touring again until the spring. Maybe you could convince the band that a few months in the bush is just what the doctor ordered. Of course, it might soften 'em up too much, and I'm not sure that "The Dawn Of Battle" sounds the same played on wooden flutes and bongos... Oh, and I'm only posing as a metal guy, I'm afraid I wouldn't know what it sounds like played on screaming metal guitar and cymbals either :(

Matthias

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #27 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 11:56am

There are people who have gone primative and have thrived. One is Sylvan Hart, who lived for nearly 50 years on the Salmon river in Idaho. He did everything there, from hunting, to actually creating and rifling his own gun barrels. There is a book on his life called " The Last of the Mountain Men" by Harold Petersen
  There is another book called " The Last American Man", which chronicles a modern day primative living in North Carolina. The Old Ways still survive.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #28 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 1:33pm

I must admit, I like Cradle of Filth (hey, stop throwing stuff at me Sad ). They get bad press for basically no reason, other then it is cool to hate them. The level of musicianship is perfectly fine and the lyrics are just *delicious*.
I love Forest of Shadows, a shame that the drumming is really bad in most of their songs. Other then that, I like all of the metal standards.

If I was sent into the woods I would definitely take an ABS xaphoon or a recorder...maybe even a harmonica if I could find a waterproof enough container for it.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #29 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 3:45pm

I'd be listening to Therion to psyche myself up for The Big Hunt. Anyone not familiar with them, they're a swedish death metal band famous for incorporating harmonious semi-arias and orchestral bits into slamming metal songs. One of my favourite bands, actually. But, I admit, I would miss modern music. I really like having my CDs, but I could definitely do without TV and computers.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)