World series 05 (Read 3911 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: World series 05
Reply #15 - Oct 30th, 2005 at 10:59am

yeah I heard that this was had one of the lowest viewing figures for a recent ws.
Which is really sad as they were four very good games.
The contrast between the managers was a particularly enjoyable point.
I guess being a baseball fan - rather than a fan of a particular baseball team I enjoy every basebnall game I watch. And as I live in england and have yet to only see two live games -  both at the skydome in toronto (listen you can call sell it and call it the bloody rogers centre - as far as I'm concerned it's always going to be the skydome :-). I'll take any baseball i can get :-)
It's sad that so many americans seem to be fans of a team rather than fans of the game itself.

There is a definite different attitude in england to our equivalent sport (in popularity anyway). Football fans will watch any football match, at any time of day. And there is a channel somewhere at all hours every day broadcasting a football game. I know I see the damn things at my health club !

So this one's  over. My favourite world series to date (last 10 years) is definitely. 2001 arizona and yankees.
Randy johnsons finest hour - I believe he's on record as being winning pitcher for 3 ! games.
Just an amazing series.
I was sort of a diamondbacks fan for a few years after. Till they got rid of most of the decent players and sacked the manager anyway :-)

So whats your favourite series and why ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #16 - Oct 30th, 2005 at 11:11am

Actually American gridiron football is more popular than baseball here.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #17 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 8:52am

I used to watch american football, I'm one of the few brits who actually understand most of the rules lol.

But after a bit it kind of seems pointless and the idea that you have two groups of players - one for defence and one for offence is just sad. Every other ball sport in the world expects the players to play the whole game.
And then there's the endless series of time outs. A game that has 2 minutes left on the clock can actually take another 30 minutes to finish.

I reckon the game has gone down hill dramatically in the last 15 or so years. I used to watch the superbowl - can't be bothered any more :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #18 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 6:12pm

It's more fun to watch if you play the sport Smiley It's a half mental and half physical game.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)