World series 05 (Read 3939 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
World series 05
Oct 23rd, 2005 at 9:43am

Right this year I'm a houston astros fan. why ? 'cause they're all wearing beards :-) (seriously that's the reason)

Will they win - probably not - but I find the ws is much more fun if you take sides :-)

Who else on the forum is a baseball fan ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Castle7

I'm on fire today!!

GR, Michigan
Re: World series 05
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 9:46am

I'm a Houston fan simply because TX is my homestate.

Anyone know who won last nights game? I saw part of it but began doing research and forgot about it.

If I build it, they will run.&&-Mikeel&&&&

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 9:57am

most of the astros had beards last year too.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 10:21am

whitesox won 5-3. but with clemens never really being up to scratch and off after 2 innings, it was no real surprise.

Tonight should be different. If pettite can't win one then the astros have no chance and it's razors out :-(
Going to try and stick tonights game out live - so lets hope for fairly short pitching duel :-)

I prefer it when the teams have to hustle for runs rather than just whacking it all over the park :-)
Unless I missed one there wasn't a single stolen base last night.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Castle7

I'm on fire today!!

GR, Michigan
Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 10:30am

There was one base steal by the Astros'. But it turned out to be a hit and run.

GO ASTROS!!

IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #5 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 11:27am

I want the Sox to win simply because I'm from Illinois, I'm really a Cubs fan but they are so terrible Cry...

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #6 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 2:06pm

Quote:
I want the Sox to win simply because I'm from Illinois, I'm really a Cubs fan but they are so terrible ...

is anyone really a white soxs fan in chicago? Everyone i ever hear says they are a cubs fan but since the white sox are winning.....

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #7 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 7:34pm

NY Jets 05 World Series woo-hoo!!
oops wrong sport  Undecided  Never watched baseball much but I think I'll watch the next World Series. I guess I have to route for the Colorado Rockies, because Slinging rocks!

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #8 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 10:04pm

I think that the relationship between White Sox fans and Cubs fans in baseball in Chicago is the same that the Jets fans and Giants fans have in gridiron football in NYC.  The Cubs and the Giants are thought of as the city's "original" team while the Jets and White Sox are usually followed by people that can't afford to see the other team.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 7:38am

maybe, but I don't recall the cubs doing much in baseball in the last few years. So I'm guessing that the whitesox seats cost more.
But there does seem to be a big tradition of supporting baseball teams in the us.
Probably similiar with football in england (just never liked the sport myself).
Well I fell asleep during the 2nd innings last night so I'll watch the second game on video and get back to you :-) Think it was 2-2 when I woke up and decided to stick vcr on and go to bed lol

IP Logged

Castle7

I'm on fire today!!

GR, Michigan
Reply #10 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 12:02pm

Whitesox won again. Score was 7-6 I believe. I really thought the Astro's were going to take that game for awhile. Wasn't able to see the last of it. Missed the last two and a half innings. When I left it was 4-2 Astros.
Oh well.

Better luck next game. Smiley

IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #11 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 5:44pm

Tradition is often as big a part of being a fan as success.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 12:40pm

well I've pretty much left the net alone for the last few days - one of the advantages of living in england. Nobody is ever going to tell you the result of a baseball game - not on the radio or in the street or on television or in the newspapers (which I don't read anyway). So  could video all the games and wath them while I was awake - just as well as game 3 did not finish over here untill 07:30 !

I've got to admit it was one of the best 4 game series I've seen. The astros could have easily won all three of the last 3 games - if only their batters had actually turned up to play. I don't recall ever seeing a more lacklustre bunch of hitters. It said it all when in game 4 they put bagwell on to pinch hit. Once a good player now not. But apparently the best they had left (wasn't he something daft like 2/18 overall in the post season). I honestly can't remember being more frustrated with a team for years - really got me involved and worked up every time they left the bases loaded and got themselves out :-)

So now I have to wait till march and hope to hell that someone decides to broadcast the world classic - Just the idea of team america losing a baseball tournament makes me grin all over :-)
Though i suppose it depends on who the defected cubans will play for :-) Could be 2 cuban teams - now that would be cool !
Although I think the current odds on favourites are venezuela or the dominican republic. Wonder if they are using the dh rule - if not that pretty much rules out david ortiz which would be a shame.

So basically that's it for me now for sport I watch on telly till the 5 nations rugby tournament starts :-(
Although we do get some super motocross and the x-games, so probably not as bad as first thought lol
And one of these days I'll have to learn to appreciate the bits of ice hockey that don't involve punch-ups lol

IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #13 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 6:13pm

I watch American football and wrestling.

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 9:49pm

geez what happened to this world sereis I didnt even know it happened! the first few games of pigskin were more publcized.  My thought is that two teams were playing that know one gave a rats ass about.

zero tolerance=zero intelligence

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar)