Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
When did you start slinging? (Read 6320 times)
Leeds_Lobber
Descens

its ok, they couldn't
hit an elephant at aaaaargh

Leeds UK
Re: When did you start slinging?
Reply #15 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 9:54am

About 25 years ago. My brother used French Arrows, which are cool, but I was inspired to try by a 2000AD Comic character called Fink angel, who used a sling - nearly took out Judge Dredd with one, which is cool!

Didn't get very far, I couldn't work out how to make a pouch (heck, i was only 12) so dropped it until I was about 20 and came up with the reversed fold pouch i use now.

Pat

IP Logged

Castle7

I'm on fire today!!

GR, Michigan
Reply #16 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 7:16pm

Quote:
Exactly.

What time of day? Grin

I think it was about 1:30pm.  Cheesy

If I build it, they will run.&&-Mikeel&&&&

IP Logged

slingerkid

Job 39-42

Taranaki, New Zealand
Reply #17 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 3:45am

I started slinging maybe two weeks ago, max. (to blackSnow28 - i'm more of a noob than you!  Cheesy)
That means i was (and still am) 13 years old.
I always wanted to learn to sling, but never had any way to find out how to make one and couldn't be bothered experementing. Then one day i felt like doing a search on google for 'slings, weapon' and found this site. My first shots went only 10 meters at most -  but then i realised i needed way bigger ammo Smiley

Awsome website.

The Earth moved, and the object hit the universe, as a chair, hitting the object. The crowd leaves to avoid itself. You are of the dream you once had tomorrow. Let go of the hand that holds itself, and it will let go of yourself.
IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #18 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 9:46pm

I'm just learning after I discovered this website in this year.I don't know how to sling!Most of the time I fail.

I was impressed by the power of the sling after reading a few articles.

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #19 - Oct 21st, 2005 at 1:40pm

when i was  11 years old, that was about  1967 i remember  going into a forbidden area of school , to sling some fruits of hipocastaneum we call "castaņas locas"

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Oct 21st, 2005 at 2:14pm

Quote:
I started in 2001 after reading the book Redwall by Brian Jacques.  One of the pictures above the chapters had a picture of a sling and Jacques actually described a little how it was used, so I had to fill in the blanks for myself.  

In the version I read, he kept calling what is obviosly a treb a ballista, overexaggerates the power of javelins, makes longbows out of green wood, Matthias somehow makes a crossbow and shoots Cheesethief, dressed up like a warlord, and the strategies were crap, but it did get me interesting in slings also and it did get me interested in bows. I don't like the way Jaques keeps on puttin up misinformation, but it at least got me somewhere.

IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #21 - Oct 21st, 2005 at 4:24pm

You have to remember that he wrote that book with no research on weapons and no internet back in the 80's.  He basically used what was in his own head, so he didn't do so bad.  His later books are much more realistic and accurate since he has obviously done some research.  It was the spring board that got me into primitive weapons, so I have to give him that!

IP Logged

Tumakas

Reply #22 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 11:21pm

I started 3 days ago, and made my first sling 2 days ago. Last night i made my 3rd and best sling yet, it's a braided one like in one of the tutorials. So far i have a accuracy of hitting within 5 feet of my target at a range of 2 inches....

IP Logged

Grautr
Descens

Waes thu hael

Maastricht the Netherlands
Reply #23 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 1:13pm

I started slinging about 3 months ago.

A late starter at 35 but my plan is long term. Knowing that by the time I get any good It will also be time for me to pop my clogs my intension is to teach my son to use a sling from an early age.

I knew about slings from quite an early age. My father told me that he made one as a kid but never took the time to show me how to use one. Being English I was going to take up archery, which was after all our national sport before football. But after finding the old railway line near here, and thus an infinte supply of munition, I went for the sling.

it was so cold that year that everyones tongues stuck to their noses.

IP Logged

Ian_Robertson
Tiro

Reply #24 - Oct 25th, 2005 at 7:33pm

I started slinging back in the mid-60s, with the encouragement of my dad. He used a sling when he was a kid, and amused my brother and I greatly with the story of how he nearly killed his uncle with a sling stone, just as he was walking out of a barn door.

My mother made my first sling, following dad's directions, out of a strip of cloth about 2 inches wide. She simply folded over both lateral edges of the two ends (i.e., angling inward, away from what became the pouch area) and hemmed them on her sewing machine. Simple, but worked really well. I found that old cloth sling this summer when I went back to visit my mom.

My brother and I became very effective with various kinds of slings and practiced all the time. I fondly recall the time when a group of tough older kids started pelting us with rocks, thinking we were out of their range. They wound up running for it...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark)