Happy Thanksgiving (Read 6688 times)
Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Reply #15 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 9:30pm

ah i see

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #16 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 9:49pm

yeah most of the time when you shoot thm they are not dead, when they hit the ground they die or if over water you kill em when your dog brings em back

zero tolerance=zero intelligence

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #17 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 12:01am

No worries Smudge - I mixed responses in my questions to ben-banned. The only birds that are legal to shoot on the ground in Canada are upland game, and single shot rifles are ok for those. Archery is ok too, for both game and migratory. No one should discharge a rifle into the air without a backstop.

What is the difference between hunting for sport with a centerfire rifle and using a .50 cal air-rifle BB? Have you considered black powder/muzzleloaders?

Matthias

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #18 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 8:15am

I once fired a 4 bore muzzle loading black powder fowling piece and hit a clay pigeon with it :-)
The BANG and the smoke - you couldn't wipe the smile off my face for a week - or the bruise off my shoulder lol

Canadian geese used to be classed as vermin in england - which meant you could hunt them with whatever method, requiring just the landowners permission. But you really have to cook them properly or they are almost worthless to eat.
I believe now that our native british white geese are almost non-existent, that canadian geese are now no longer classed as vermin. You see huge flocks of the damn things everywhere - I'm sure most of them have british accents now :-)

Suprisingly, shot killed game birds often display little or no obvious damage - speaking as someone who's eaten entire flocks of game birds over the years (my dad shoots and so do a few of our friends) you occasionally get a a piece of shot in pheasant but almost never in pigeon or smaller birds. Partridge, woodcock, etc.
The birds breast feathers provide quite remarkable protection against shot, so it's quite often a head shot that kills them. Pheasant are often shot much lower than other birds so you get a lot more breast penetration of the shot on them.
Personally I don't believe in killing something for sport - but I'm quite happy to eat something someone else has shot. It's not actually hypocritical, I just believe everyone has the right to live their own life how they choose :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #19 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 8:55am

Quote:
\

What is the difference between hunting for sport with a centerfire rifle and using a .50 cal air-rifle BB? Have you considered black powder/muzzleloaders?

Matthias

with a rifle i could just pick off animals with an air rifle you have to get closer.
no actually i had never thought of muzzle loader I wouldnt mind that then again i might i wold have to look into it

IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #20 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 4:04pm

I hate muzzle loaders.  They are inferior technology and a pain in the you-know-where to hunt with.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #21 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 9:38am

thats what makes them fun!

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #22 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 10:15am

About as much fun as throwing rocks by hand.

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #23 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 12:32pm

Quote:
I hate muzzle loaders.  They are inferior technology and a pain in the you-know-where to hunt with.  

and a sling isnt?

IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #24 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 2:57pm

At least the sling can fire more rapidly.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #25 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 9:59pm

i dont know i still like my black powder.  Cheesy

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #26 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 10:51pm

I still like my lever-gun  Grin

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #27 - Nov 9th, 2005 at 5:40am

We should have eaten all the pilgrims. Would have had alot less problems. Smiley

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #28 - Nov 9th, 2005 at 3:34pm

didn't know there were any native american tribes that practiced cannabalism :-)

Now what you should have done was stake them out for the vultures :-)

Missionaries of any kind are an abomination. Believe what you like but don't try and force anyone else to believe it with you.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #29 - Nov 9th, 2005 at 8:37pm

Ol Magua wasn't cutting out Col. Campbells heart just to make a political statement. It was quite common in the Northeast in the early years of colonization for the Native peoples to consume some part of their enemies during war. Various other tribes throughout the Americas also practiced cannibalism { a word derived from the Caribe Indians of the Carribean} at times. The Pilgrims were just lucky they didn't run into the Iroquois or the Lakotas.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark)