Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Happy Thanksgiving (Read 6691 times)
Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Happy Thanksgiving
Oct 10th, 2005 at 10:55pm

To the Canadian forum members and extended from us to everyone else on the board. Lots to think about this year.

Matthias

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 6:03pm

happy thanksgiving! its my personal favorite day of the year!

ug..i have to wait a few more month.

i wish i could have a ride up to canada eat there then have aother thanksgiving in the U.S.  haha its a good thing im not rich or i would weigh 800 pounds and have a feast once a week! Grin

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 9:30pm

We don't have thanks giving in Hong Kong.  What is it really?  Do you give thanks to god and eat turkey?

IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 10:59pm

I think it's when we give thanks to the pilgrims and Native Americans, and when they first had a big meal together (the first Thanksgiving). For the food, it's my favorite  Smiley

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

slingerkid

Job 39-42

Taranaki, New Zealand
Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 1:19am

the story goes that the first settlers to north america had a very bad first harvest, so the indians helped them by giving them food for the winter. So in return, when the settlers had some food of their own, they gave a feast for the indians - that feast is celebrated as thanks giving day.

Is that right?(i come from NZ, so don't have first hand knowledge of it)

The Earth moved, and the object hit the universe, as a chair, hitting the object. The crowd leaves to avoid itself. You are of the dream you once had tomorrow. Let go of the hand that holds itself, and it will let go of yourself.
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #5 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 2:12am

I celebrate it as a harvest festival, which most cultures have. Once all the hard work of collecting food for the winter has passed, it is a time to relax and reflect on the year that has gone by. If you peel back the pilgrims etc, that is pretty much what American thanksgiving is as well. We get to celebrate early because, well, all the farm work is pretty much wrapped up by this time of year with our shorter seasons.

I made a meal for my Vancouver family, using walnuts, herbs, veggies and quince that had been hand gathered, and (store-bought) local produce for the rest.

I find it odd that people only seem to eat turkey at thanksgiving and christmas. I usually try to snag a smaller one or two after everyone else is done and make soup stock/meat!

Matthias

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 11:45am

I HATE CANADIAN GEESE!!! eh once i get my .50 cal air rifle ill kill you one...and everyone else one too

zero tolerance=zero intelligence

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #7 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 1:59pm

Hey I'm with both of you. We have a surplus of geese up here as well. Why wait for the .50cal ben_banned - geese are sling-game! Ok, maybe not with my aim (flock of angry maimed gees).

I've been looking at large bore airguns in the last few days as well. What's your interest BB? Wouldn't a rimfire .22 be cheaper, easier to use/maintain, more accurate and just as efficient? What type of rifle were you thinking about?

Matthias

IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #8 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 6:27pm

Holy moly! Shocked Are you guys serious about hunting geese with a rifle!?  Or have you never hunted geese before?  One of the first rules of being safe or even sane with a rifle is that you should never fire a rifle into the air without having a backdrop to stop the bullet.  Even the little .22 will travel miles and land who knows where.  Not to mention that shooting flying geese would be impossible with a rifle, as iron sights take too long to line up for a clear shot and a scope would have too narrow a field of view to properly lead the bird.  I don't know what the law is in Canada, but here in the U.S. it is illegal to hunt geese with a rifle or shoot them on the ground with any gun.  If you want to go goose hunting, I recomend a sturdy shotgun that can handle 3 1/2 inch shells with a half or open choke such as the Mossberg 835, and No. 4 steel shot at least.

IP Logged

Castle7

I'm on fire today!!

GR, Michigan
Reply #9 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 6:56pm

Get some skill and use an atlatl!! Roll Eyes

If I build it, they will run.&&-Mikeel&&&&

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 7:37pm

Quote:
Holy moly! Shocked Are you guys serious about hunting geese with a rifle!?  Or have you never hunted geese before?  One of the first rules of being safe or even sane with a rifle is that you should never fire a rifle into the air without having a backdrop to stop the bullet.  Even the little .22 will travel miles and land who knows where.  Not to mention that shooting flying geese would be impossible with a rifle, as iron sights take too long to line up for a clear shot and a scope would have too narrow a field of view to properly lead the bird.  I don't know what the law is in Canada, but here in the U.S. it is illegal to hunt geese with a rifle or shoot them on the ground with any gun.  If you want to go goose hunting, I recomend a sturdy shotgun that can handle 3 1/2 inch shells with a half or open choke such as the Mossberg 835, and No. 4 steel shot at least.

thats why i said "air rifle" well thats one of the reasons. I have also made a pledge to myself that i would never hunt for sport with gun powder.

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 7:39pm

Quote:
Is it really illegal in *all* of the US to shoot a goose on the ground and/or with a rifle?  ???

I was gonna shoot one with a shotgun anyway, but I didn't know it was illegal to shoot them on the ground with a rifle...are you sure about that, Smudge?

At any rate, I prefer size 7 or 8 shot, with a hefty dram load of powder...works well on clay disks at least. And the choke one uses is really dependant upon where (distance from the hunter) they want the focal point of the pattern. Some chokes give a tight pattern at 50 feet, some keep it tight even at 100 feet, etc.

yes its illeagle to shoot a sitting pheasent goose or a sitting duck for that matter. yes I know its illeagle but so is hunting with a sling for geese

http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/model.pl?model_id=771

IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #12 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 7:51pm

Quote:
Is it really illegal in *all* of the US to shoot a goose on the ground and/or with a rifle?  ???

I was gonna shoot one with a shotgun anyway, but I didn't know it was illegal to shoot them on the ground with a rifle...are you sure about that, Smudge?

At any rate, I prefer size 7 or 8 shot, with a hefty dram load of powder...works well on clay disks at least. And the choke one uses is really dependant upon where (distance from the hunter) they want the focal point of the pattern. Some chokes give a tight pattern at 50 feet, some keep it tight even at 100 feet, etc.

Yes it's illegal to shoot bird game while they're on the ground with any weapon.  If you do it, I have no doubt that the United States game wardens will catch you.  The fact of the matter is that shooting geese on the ground with firearms of any sort is not hunting, it is a massacre as you can't miss the birds at all.   

What is the average distance that you find yourself from geese until they fly away?  The answer would probably be about 30 yards at the most.  At that range you shouldn't even need a rifle.

By the way, Funslinger, No. 7 & 8 are great for pigeons and clay disks but they will not humanely bring down a goose or even a duck.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #13 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 9:24pm

wouldnt a shot gun blow the bird all to hell and get bbs all through the meat?  I have never hunted bird with a shot gun before but i have seen what a shotgun will do to meat.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Smudge

Sticks and stones WILL
brake your bones.

everywhere
Reply #14 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 9:29pm

Yeah, if you shoot them on the ground at close range.  But usually you're shooting the geese at fifty yards or more while they are in the air so the pellets disperse by the time they hit the bird.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Chris, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini)