Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Photos from my kayaking trip! (Read 3015 times)
Mike_R
Funditor

Photos from my kayaking trip!
Aug 15th, 2005 at 8:03pm

Howdy, I just got back yesterday from a trip up north. I took my dad, and his friend from australia up to a place called chilko lake. It is out in the middle of nowhere and in 8 days we hardly saw a person. The lake is about 100kms long and sits at 4000 feet above sea level. That makes it the largest high-alpine lake in BC. The water is a beautiful blue color because of all the glacier ground rock-flour that makes its way into the lake. I took a couple of hundred photos, and a couple of hours of video. I haven't got to the slinging or bow-hunting shots yet, but I will. We did about 100kms in 7 days and one day off. I covered more ground last year, but our aussie friend was a paddling rookie. He still did very well, we averaged about 15 kms a day, with 250-300 pounds of gear apiece.

Here is a view of the lake from our day 5 camp.

A bald eagle soaring:

A mated pair of eagles in a tree:

A wild horse that lives near the lake. I saw lots of them, and a big stallion stands guard over about a dozen horses in each group. Grizzly bears beware! Those big papa horses don't look like they mess around. Here is a colt that was friendly.

A painted pony on the move:

Ed from australia paddling it up!

Heading south, day 2:

Heading north, day 4:

Sunset day 4:

Stormy water, day 3. The waves built up to about six feet.

Mt. Kesey, day 3. About 10,00 ft high, named after the indian sidekick of an english explorer in 1914.

Me:

Sunrise, day 7:

Old graveyard, on the way north:

IP Logged

Tito

Australia
Re: Photos from my kayaking trip!
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2005 at 8:40pm

WOW!!! Shocked

That is AWESOME Mike. the whole area is...undescribable. And the water looks soooooooooo cold.
Tito

That's one small sling for David. One giant headache for Goliath.&&The safest place to stand when I sling, is right in front of me!

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2005 at 10:04pm

Yup, the water is mighty cold. About 35 degrees right now, and this is the warmest it gets!

Here is me practicing my eskimo roll in the lake. The freezing shock motivates me to roll faster!

IP Logged

Tito

Australia
Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2005 at 10:17pm

35 degrees? that's hot ..... Oh! Embarrassed 35 degrees Fahrenheit...not Celsius. 35 deg F is only 1.5 deg C, and yeah, water that temperature sounds too cold for my liking.
Tito

That's one small sling for David. One giant headache for Goliath.&&The safest place to stand when I sling, is right in front of me!

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2005 at 2:59am

Hey! Lefty roll! (or maybe I'm the one with the lefty roll? I don't know, I'm self taught and everyone who I've shown does it "my way" as well Smiley) You didn't even cheat much on the paddle position. With the long greenland paddles I use, you can shift to a paddle-tip grip and end up with an 8ft lever - doesn't do much to encourage good form...

I've never been up there, but it is now on my list (just what a nice place needs eh? more people from the "big city"... I promise I'll be good, and won't tell anyone else.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the series! Did you get a chance to get any distance above the lake? Some of those slopes look pretty tempting too!

Matthias

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Aug 16th, 2005 at 4:58am

Cry Cry Angry Angry
you luck sumbitch that is the most beautiful place i have ever seen OMFG!! i am so frikin jealous ughh
WILD FRIKIN HORSES!!

alright ive calmed down hopefully ill get there before im 20

zero tolerance=zero intelligence

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #6 - Aug 16th, 2005 at 11:08am

No, I think anyone who wants to go should go. Everyone from slinging.org could show up there and there would be enough room! It is a neat place, it is the newest provincial  park, but you can still hunt and fish there, the road is seriously outback style, it is remote enough, and the people who do use it are nice enough that it is great. Most of the good camping spots have been camped at before, but I didn't see one piece of trash!! Nice neat fire pits, nobody has cut any trees because they burn driftwood, and so on. Plus my friend from australia kept finding grills at every spot. "Oy, mate! I found this bloody grill!!"

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #7 - Aug 16th, 2005 at 11:17am

Oh, and no Matthias, we didn't get very far above the lake, but there is a hundred years of fantastic climbs in there for sure. The lake is at 4000ft so you can get above the tree line quick. I did some hiking around up some creeks and rivers, and saw millions of tracks and lots of animals. Some of the peaks are 9-10000ft peaks with no names! Mt. Matthias? If you want I can tell you which topo maps to get to check it out. I have a set of 1:64000 that show the lake, and the peaks and glaciers on both sides.

Plus anyone who visits gets to meet all kinds of friendly country peoples on the way to the lake. I have found that the first or second weeks of aug are the best time to go. They are the driest, least likely to be stormy time of the year. Otherwise you have to bring tons of supplies in case you get trapped for a week, the lake was pretty nice when we were there but it can be a nightmare too. Many people have perished, and in big boats.

IP Logged

moonhunter
Tiro

Reply #8 - Aug 16th, 2005 at 12:43pm

Yeah, I'm jealous too... If I'wasen't on the other side of the ocean, I'd shoot there first thing the first day of my free time... 8)  poopy, man, there really are beautiful places on this planet!

IP Logged

Tito

Australia
Reply #9 - Aug 16th, 2005 at 10:58pm

Mike, I have only seen a place like where you were once before. that was two years ago when i went to New Zealand. everything is so much alike from your photos and where i went that i can almost remember being in the spot where the pics were taken, except that your place is on the other side of the world. but dam, two years ago i wasn't interested in slings yet, but if i was...then that would have been the best time of my life.
Tito

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 11:14am

Yep very nice - but am I the only one thinking that posting your holiday snaps has bugger all to do with slinging ? Couldn't you have just left a link ?
Or left it in the non-sling related part of the forum ?

And I'm fairly sure I am the only one thinking: 'Hmm, wild horse + sling + firepit = bush tucker !' I'm of the opinion that the only good horse is one that's been marinated for at least 12 hours :-)
So mike did you take your sling and how hard is it to sling at things from a kayak ?
These are the relevant questions for this particular forum :-)  (but I'm just as jealous as everybody else)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #11 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 12:33am

I did get in plenty of slinging. I shot some slinging shots, some bowhunting shots, and some video as well. I just have to get myself organized. It is possible to sling from a kayak, I just use a short sling, but I did my slinging from shore. I usually don't take many photos, but this time I shot a few hundred hi-rez digitals, four rolls of 35mm with a nikon f90, and a couple of hours of mini dv video. Needless to say I am having a hard time sorting everything out!

You might be right about this post having little to do with slinging, but you could always try not reading it if it doesn't measure up to your standards.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 6:20am

lmao - what do standards have to do with anything. There is a part of the forum for this kind of thing, why not use it ?

That's it. no need to get catty :-)
And until you read a post you have no idea what it's about :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)