Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My Grandmother was a slinger!! - and clay galndes (Read 1415 times)
Naiyor
Descens

My sling-a-ling, My sling-a-ling,
I want you to..

Canada
My Grandmother was a slinger!! - and clay galndes
Sep 21st, 2005 at 12:01pm

In a recent visit to my home town. I was talking over a cup of tea with my grandmother when the topic of slinging came up (OH I wonder how THAT could happen  Wink)

I was a little suprised to hear that she and her brothers used to spend time in their yourth slinging. Her advice to me was to use the clay found in riverbeds, as it hardened better in the sun. She said that they would spend hours preparing ammunition and just let it bake in the sun.

She laughed at me when I told her about the Salt-flour galnde recipe. I still use those thing quite regularily. I find that they attract seaguls...or targets as I call them  Wink...actually I don't sling the 'gulls.

I was using the goalpost at the football field as a target. From about 15 meters. There is nothing more rewarding than to sling one of those biscuts and have it explode when it hits the post...not to mention the satisfying "ping" it makes.

just my ramblings.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Re: My Grandmother was a slinger!! - and clay galn
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2005 at 12:43pm

That's so cool!  Was she and your granduncle good?  Any stories about them hitting anything?

IP Logged

Naiyor
Descens

My sling-a-ling, My sling-a-ling,
I want you to..

Canada
Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2005 at 4:32pm

They mainly used to go for distance, She said that they did hunt small game with them but were not too successful.

She grew up on one of the remote Native Reserves in northwestern Ontario. The family "lived off the land" through trapping, hunting and fishing. It was a tough life.

My Grandfather (who is from Scotland) has been a trapper for ~40 years or so...In a race my Grandmother can still skin a moose, fillet a fish, and skin just about anything faster than he can...he just laughs, it's kind of funny!

IP Logged

slingerkid

Job 39-42

Taranaki, New Zealand
Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 9:02pm

Hey, would you be able to post the salt-flour glande recipe? i would be interested in trying it out.

thanks, SK

The Earth moved, and the object hit the universe, as a chair, hitting the object. The crowd leaves to avoid itself. You are of the dream you once had tomorrow. Let go of the hand that holds itself, and it will let go of yourself.
IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 2:24pm

Right here: http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11210492...
and remember to use flour that doesn't automatically rise. That's what I did and it just doesn't work.

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Morphy, Chris, Kick, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark)