Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Chess anyone? (Read 4100 times)
Castle7

I'm on fire today!!

GR, Michigan
Re: Chess anyone?
Reply #15 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 10:21am

I'm playing a game of Chinese chess on brainking now actually. Though I just reliazed that I may have ran out of time on the game. I haven't checked brainking in a couple weeks Embarrassed

If anyone is willing to teach me I would love to learn how to play backgammon. Never known but always wanted to.

If I build it, they will run.&&-Mikeel&&&&

IP Logged

grey_wolf
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #16 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 10:39am

hey I'd love to play chess I have only one problem though.I can only check my e-mail every other weekend the server there will actually let me check it.

wolf_fighter_king  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #17 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 2:11pm

I learned backgammon (Tavla, in our household) relatively recently, and was interested for a bit, before I stumbled across
Jellyfish
, a tiny neural-net backgammon game that self-trained by being turned loose on the online servers.

It can stomp me. (and just about everyone else, for that matter). This isn't a fancy supercomputer, and it doesn't have fancy algorithms and a billion lines of code. Being schooled by a software-AI equivalent of a barely multi-cellular organism takes the shine of a bit. I mean it isn't even close to say, flatworm level... I could handle being compared unfavourably to a flatworm.

Now I realise that refusing to play games that simple computers can beat me at doesn't leave much. There are a handful, usually with enough turn-options that we can overwhelm the computing power currently available. Interestingly, this forces coders to try more elegant, less mathematical brute-force approaches, which tend to push the envelope of what might one day be true AI...

For now, at least, I recommend GO (Wei-chi, Baduk).
IGOwin
is a decent (simple 9x9) introduction, while
GnuGo
plays the more interesting full sized board. You'll need a gui for GnuGo - follow the links.

Matthias

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #18 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 2:28pm

There's a backgammon game with decent algorithms ?
That I would love.
Forget chess, I'll play anyone at backgammon - but on a clean server eh, funslinger :-)

I've never found a computer program that could give me a decent game.

So what's the link for this jellyfish then ?
And while neural nets may have the intelligence of  a flatworm, the learned algorithms can be much more sophisticated so don't feel too bad matthias :-)  
[url]http://www.jellyfish-backgammon.com/download/JFL3532z.exe[/url]
Search engines :-) jellyfish freeware game above :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus)