Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
underhand done across the shoulder video (Read 14748 times)
lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
underhand done across the shoulder video
Aug 26th, 2005 at 4:39pm

underhand style, with the sling across the shoulders and behind the neck
I have been trying this lately. I like it a lot. throw much like our traditional over hand. Just pull the pouch tight. let go with non throwing hand. While whipping under handed with the throwing hand. with a little practise I can Actuly get rapid reload going. Seems to be easier to throw what I call "rabbit punchers" with (you know low flying under hand releases)
Just thought I would share lol.http://media.putfile.com/underhand67
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2006 at 7:28pm by lobohunter »  
Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Re: underhand done across the  shoulders
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2005 at 6:36pm

Sounds like a technique which engenders high consistency.....and therefore accuracy.  Can't wait to try it!

TS

8)

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2005 at 7:30pm

Let me see if I understand this:
Sling cords in right hand (I'm dexter), cords run up from my hand to my right shoulder, over said shoulder and around back of my neck, across left shoulder and down in front to my left hand which holds the pocket and rock.
Tug on the cords, hold the rock.  Let go the rock while still tugging, sling zips up, over my shoulder, around my neck ... OH, got it!  The rock is going to zip over my shoulder, start around my neck but its momentum is going to carry it back BEHIND my neck, and from there I turn it into an underhand cast!

Lobohunter, I'm working entirely from imagination, I don't have a sling on me.  I'm going to try this when I get home, and if you don't hear from me again it means the rock hit my head instead of zipping around it...

I've got a way to carry a loaded sling that sounds similar, but you end up with an OVERHAND swing: my sling arm is bent, with my hand about mid-chest; the cords run up and over my LEFT shoulder and down my back; the pocket hangs at about the bottom of my ribs, with a rock in it.  When I want to throw, I straighten my arm which pulls the pocket up my back, over my shoulder and out in front.  Presto, I've got an overhand wind-up swing going, I can continue into a MagnumSlinger overhand or a figure-8.

Edit (April 27 2006): I just watched LoboHunter's video.  The above description of what I thought he was doing, is complete nonsense.  Ignore what I wrote, watch his video.
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2006 at 3:41pm by Dale »  

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2005 at 11:20pm

Wasn't there a statue of David holding the sling that way? with the poch on his left shoulder and right hand close to his right hip.  Looked like his was casually loading the sling for this style.

Dale

That's a cool way to start an overhead swing!  You can do it while singing the national anthem with your right arm across your chest like that Grin~!

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2005 at 11:46pm

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #5 - Aug 26th, 2005 at 11:51pm

The statue was by Michael Angelo.

I thought the pose was solely for artistic reasons until I try it out myself!

I hope I didn't misunderstand your describtion, Lobohunter.  

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2005 at 11:26am

OK, I did not hit myself in the head.

I clipped myself in the chin...

Tried Lobo's over-the-shoulder underhand with five-ounce rocks, 25-inch and 31-inch slings.  The shorter one is the sling I hunt stumps with, Apache style; the longer is my preferred sling for figure-8.

First trial cast with a tennis ball: out of the pocket as it came up over my neck, ball went off to the right, dog is laughing at me.

Tried tossing the ball instead of just pulling it out of my hand.  Better, off to my left.  I had thought it would swing out in front of me, not so.  Tried again, left shoulder to target, ball went about where I wanted it.

Tried rocks, left shoulder to target, short sling.  Rock slipped out, went right.

Tossed rock instead, better.  Rock went left.  'Way left of target.  Needs work.

Tried longer sling.  Rock skipped across collarbone, bounced off jawbone just left of chin, swung around neck and off to the left, followed closely by expletives.

Tried tossing the ball instead of pulling again.  Better.  Still needs work.

Fun style, Lobohunter!  I'll get it down eventually.

Tint, that statue of David is awesome.  Michaelangelo did some fine work.  I wonder if he knew any slingers, or that was just artistic?  The sling is too long for Lobo's style; you would want to toss the stone up and back and then whip it into a side-arm release, I would think.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #7 - Aug 27th, 2005 at 12:28pm

Dale, you are almost there....it is in between sidearm and underhand.  Great for those 'ground bounder' shots at smaller game.

Amazing, the things one can continually be shown about such a simple sport.  And a worthy addition to my repertoire, to be sure.

Thanks again Lobo.

Peace,

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #8 - Aug 27th, 2005 at 3:50pm

Hey your welcome tech.
I was teaching a work shop on the sling and it just dawned on me. Hence I taught under hand that way as I thought of it. LoL

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #9 - Aug 27th, 2005 at 5:10pm

lobohunter i tried this today, it's simple and hard hitting. that's a third throw to add to my greek overhand,  plus sidearm . cheers!
sv

IP Logged

drum_slinger

Armed with a heart of
steel.

Reply #10 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 8:59am

I'm having trouble getting this down right, could someone who's done it post pics or video to help me out, sounds like a good style for how I want to sling

Funditor et celsus.&&&&Cape Hoc!!
Zyahtiger@aol.com  
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #11 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 4:06pm

Drum_slinger, What part are you having trouble with?  Getting the sling in the right starting place?  Or swinging it?

I would like to see a video of this myself.  But I do not have a video camera, so I'll have to make do with a description of what I do.

Lobohunter: please let me know if this sounds like I'm doing it right?  Thanks!

Note added April 27, 2006: Despite what Lobo said about the accuracy of my description of his style (next post), my description bears little resemblance to what I saw Lobo doing in his video (there is a link to it in the first post of this topic).  Please ignore the description below and go watch Lobo's video.

You just drape the sling across your shoulders, so that the pocket and the ends of the cords hang in front of you.  If you pulled on the pocket and the cords, you would be bending your neck as the sling pulls it down and forward.

I had a little trouble with the start of this style.  I believe I mentioned I clipped myself in the jaw.  Lobohunter apparently did not have this problem.  But if I toss the pocket up and to the left, as I pull to the right and down on the cords, it works for me (I am right-handed, by the way).  The stone in the pocket  moves up and to the left, back over my left shoulder, then behind my back and down as my right hand drops (pulling the cords).  The stone continues down and to my right side as I begin to bend my arm and pull it across in front of my body.  The stone continues down, now moving to the left, and I release as the stone passes in front of my legs.

Usually, my underhand shots overshoot the target, sometimes by many feet.  With this style, I am more consistently releasing the stone in a low, flat, straight trajectory.

Now, if I could get better control of my direction!  I am consistently shooting too far to the left...
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2006 at 3:05pm by Dale »  

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #12 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 2:54pm

Dale you sound like your right on target.
I wish I could do a vid. maybe later right now I am in Trasition. Maybe a simple  example would be do what you do with over hand when you hold the pouch.
Except for underhand have the string behind you instead in front. and the grasping non throwing arm higher as to clear your shoulder and chin. Dale i thin the reason I have never cliped my chin might be i use a 43 inch thing. Also this style came natral to me. but it is just the bacward version of my over hand

IP Logged

drum_slinger

Armed with a heart of
steel.

Reply #13 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 5:11pm

I'm having trouble swinging the loaded sling, I cant get good rotations in the right place and keep wrapping the cords around my neck or I hit my shoulder

Funditor et celsus.&&&&Cape Hoc!!
Zyahtiger@aol.com  
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #14 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 6:11pm

Hmmm... Maybe you could describe exactly what you are doing.  I'm not sure I understand.

If I have Lobohunter's style correct, then the sling rotates through just about a full circle from start to release.  It sounds like you are doing multiple rotations?

No, about three-quarters of a revolution.  Go watch Lobo's video.  Link in the first post in this topic.

By the way, Sv's description (in the next post, below) of how he is doing Lobo's style, sounds EXACTLY like what I SAW Lobo doing in his video.  Congratulations, Sv, you "listen" better than I do!
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2006 at 2:32pm by Dale »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick, vetryan15, Morphy)