Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
You guys are going to like this... (Read 31372 times)
Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: You guys are going to like this...
Reply #30 - Dec 22nd, 2005 at 12:00am

I'll repost it when I'm home next week - I can't find a copy on my local machine. Otherwise, I'll see if I can record another vid (and this time we'll send a copy to Chris, rather than relying on dodgy servers)

Matthias

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #31 - Dec 29th, 2005 at 2:49am

Putfile take II... I'll send a copy to Chris when I get back home. Remember to wait for the video to load before quitting in frustration!

Click here to watch Whip Sling

Matthias

IP Logged

BrianS
Descens

Does Tux love to Sling?!?

NY, USA
Reply #32 - Dec 29th, 2005 at 2:44pm

WOW!  That is very cool.  Thanks for reposting that video.  I need to make one of these.  Even if you miss (which I'm sure I will do more times than not) it is impressive.

Brian

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #33 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 11:30am

that is awesome:o! Anyone make another 'signal sling'?

anyway, if you want that type of lead core line i think this stuff is very similar http://www.4fishin.com/Lead%20Core.htm

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #34 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 12:24pm

I imagine it's identical - most cordage that you see packaged for retail like this came off the same factory line before being rebadged.

I think my sling is getting softer with time, and that is reducing the volume a bit. Might have to try dipping it - 50/50 it will make it better, and either way we'll learn something new... Seems a shame to tinker with the only one in existence though (hint hint)

Matthias

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #35 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 8:49pm

I have to try that!
It's tough though, that'll have to be my second project...
Focusng on one project at a time is so difficult.

In any case it will give me more incentive to finnish already!

BTW. why did you use soft flufy flappers?
Cheesy

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #36 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 11:38pm

Quote:
BTW. why did you use soft flufy flappers?
Cheesy

Because I don't know any better? Most whips that are meant for cracking seem to have fluffy poppers. You need it to be light for sure, but maybe the greater surface of the tassle gives a louder crack? Where's Funslinger (or Whipartist Undecided) when you need them?

These are easier than they look. Really just a four strand braid, which anyone can pickup. Keeping track of the extra strands is a little tricky, but I'd rank this one just a little past the balearics (and well below any fancy woven pouch types) in terms of difficulty.

Like I said, my sling seems a little mellower now. Replacing the popper is an easy thing to try, but I suspect that it needs stiffening up.

Matthias

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like

Davis, Ca
Reply #37 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 6:22am

Well noted Matthais.

I'm not any expert, but I did go through my own phase where I wanted to learn the whip. (Never took flight like so many projects)

It seemed that most whips had two small/thin strands at the end of them of leather or cordage. I didn't see any with the yarn exposed. I believe many of them had simple overhand knot tied tight right before the end aswell.

Well keep it up, let us know how well it stands up to use. A toy like that has to be hard to put down.  Grin

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #38 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 7:30pm

It seems like most modern whips use a nylon popper, either with or without a replaceable fall. The end of the braided section, you typically have a length of leather thong that brunt of any damage that might happen. The popper itself is knotted on (sometimes to an eye in the fall) and is what does the cracking. Old whips might have used horsehair, but everything I've seen on the internet ( Roll Eyes ) uses some type of synthetic. They are designed to be easily replaced, so maybe that is a hint for my sling...

Matthias

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like

Davis, Ca
Reply #39 - Feb 17th, 2006 at 12:55pm

Is the entire sling softening, or just the poppers?

How are you going to reinforce it?

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #40 - Feb 17th, 2006 at 4:36pm

Both subjectively, and the popper for sure. I'm planning to dip the sling in my stiffening mixture (commercial trawl treatment - polymer) and try replacing the popper with a new one that still has some of the resin stiffness intact. The popper gets pretty limp after a while, and the fibres start to break. I have a few different twines that I can try out as well.

It's entirely possible that there really isn't any difference between the way the sling performs now and when it was first built. It hasn't had *that* many throws put on it, and my original slinging was in an echo-rich environment.

I'll try the new poppers tonight and post my impressions. Then I'll try to dip the sling to let it dry at least overnight.

Matthias

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Video repost
Reply #41 - Sep 8th, 2006 at 1:11pm

I've finally tracked down the video and fixed the broken link in the first post / instructions. Worth a look for those members who missed it the first time around...

The Old Video

Fun project (hint hint) we need a few more whip slingers out there so that we can figure out the best design.

Matthias

IP Logged

cipher20
Tiro

NJ, USA
Reply #42 - Sep 8th, 2006 at 2:06pm

Ok, I'll take the hint.  Once I get my leadcore line I'm going to try doing a standard 8 strand round braid, of hemp probably, around a leadcore core, cutting strands of the leadcore out at even increments down to 0 at the terminal end. 

I'm thinking of starting with 8 or 10 strands of leadcore.  Do you think that will give a high enough mass at the retention end to facilitate a good crack?  I have to admit this is going to be my first experience with cracking whipslings.  I do get a decent pop out of my tapered hemp braided/woven sling, but it's not that great since it wasn't the intent of the design.

I enjoy the braiding aspect of sling-making so I shall experiment a bit after I make my requisite shopping trip tomorrow. 

A few more questions for you Matthias...  Is your sling light enough to still be able to sling for a while without discomfort?  Did you have to make any adjustments to your slinging style to accomodate the increased weight of the sling or did you transition over without a problem?  Do you release from the point at which the cracker is attached or from the end of the cracker?

And another question for some of the science types...  What is your opinion of where the accelerating "loop (wave)" originates?  My thoughts are that it would originate at the release side of the pocket rather than at the retension end due to the motion that the sling undergoes during a cast.  I guess it would depend on style, but I am thinking that the whipping motion wouldn't occur in the retention half since it is essentially fully extended at the time of release.  Having never watched slow motion video of a sling being used this is all just theory at this point but I would love to get anyone (everyone) else's point of view on the subject.

Ok, off to check out where around here carries leadcore line.

Happy slinging.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #43 - Sep 8th, 2006 at 6:46pm

Cipher20,
Wal-Mart carries lead-core fishing line, if you are in the U.S.A.  (Wait 10 years, if they folks in charge of Wal-Mart get their way, and you can get stuff at Wal-Mart anywhere in the world.  That will be a sad, sad day.)

Your question about the wave, has been discussed before in another context.  Myself, I believe that the wave starts at the pocket and travels down the sling to the release knot.  But there is another wave that travels up the sling to the finger loop, and if you are using certain grips, you sometimes get your hand slapped by your own sling!

This happens if you are using the Forsyth Apache narrow grip (finger loop on pinky finger, retained cord passes across palm and between thumb and forefinger) or a wrist loop (retained cord runs from wrist, up palm and between thumb and forefinger).  It is most common if the sling uses thin cords like nylon utility cord, less common if the sling cords are thick (braided natural fibers).

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #44 - Sep 8th, 2006 at 6:54pm

my grandpa once year ago had a nice leather whip hanging on his wall, and he once took it down and let me play with it on the back porch.  (amazing i didn't take an eye out!  Tongue )

this was my first enounter with a real whip.  i was cracking it away, and after a minute, i noticed all these little fibers floating around in the air around me.  i took up the end of the whip in my hand and looked at it, and found that there was a little cord tied to the end that was falling apart.  it was a long time ago, but if my memory serves correct, then it was something like that really course, ugly, rough packing twine that they sell really cheap, but a more refined peice.  it is a pale yellow, and really uneven along the length.  you probably know what i mean.  anyways, try some rough natural fibers, like you said, as these may have good results, even though you may have to switch them out often.

whipartist still has a webpage up, and you could check that out to see what he uses, though you most likely already have.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Kick, Chris, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark)