Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Shopping bag challenge! (Read 13416 times)
Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: Shopping bag challenge!
Reply #30 - Jul 5th, 2005 at 11:49am

Make a little bit of string by hand and tie that to the spindle, if there is a disk at the top as in the hard-drive-disk-spindle you tie to the top of the stick just below the disk and go around the disk and wind twice around the hook or tie to the hook with one half hitch, or tie with a half hitch to the bit of stick sticking out above the weight, if the weight is at the bottom of the spindle, tie the start of your string just above the weight and give an other half hitch near the top of the stick.
For beginners I would advice to make a spindle with a hook at the very top.

Now you spin the dropspindle, like you would start a little spinning top. In your one hand you hold the stuf to be spun, with the other hand you alternate spinning the spindle and pulling material to be spun from your hand.
You keep on doing this till your hands are rather high up in the air and your spindle is hitting the ground. Then you stop, untie your halfhitch, roll your new string on the stick as near the weight as posible and tie on again.

With wool you pull some fibers at a time, and before they run out you pull the next few, it happens almost by itself. But if you pull to hard, or the fibers are a little unruly, you may end with just the end of your wool, just pull some new fibers and hold them against the string and they will stick.

With materials like plastic you need to find a way to keep your unspun materials in your hand so they do not knot and when adding a new bit you may need to pinch the old and new bits together till they do hold or you may need to stop the process till you have glued or melted them together or tied a knot.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Klarh

The Ultimate Newbie

Jackson, Tennessee
Reply #31 - Jul 6th, 2005 at 7:02pm

I think your sling looks excellent, be_slinger! I especially love the way that your cordage looks;much better than what you can buy in the stores!

I can never get over the clever knots y'all real slingers make; I could hardly tie a knot if my life depended on it.

I think I'm going to try to make a foot-powered spindle wheel sometime;I could just take the weights off my drop spindle and put the stick into a drill, but I'm probably too clumsy to do anything like that at such high speeds.

IP Logged

be_slinger

near Seattle
Reply #32 - Jul 7th, 2005 at 1:37am

Klarh, if you use a variable speed drill you won't have to worry about things spinning out of control much at all. I used an old single speed drill and plugged  it into to a box containing an outlet and an old light dimmer switch with some salvaged power cords and wire nuts for hookups. This is frankly a terrible way to control motor speed but it's field expedient and it worked well enough. No doubt one of our safety minded readers will school me on this one. 

It's worth a few disasters to learn spinning bags with a drill. You will save a LOT of time.

FYI - If you can figure out how to braid a sling out of cordage you made for yourself out of shopping bags, you can learn knots. Seriously, very few people have done what you did. Don't sell yourself short! There's really only a handfull of knots that you absolutely need to know (IMHO). but when you get those down you'll want to know more. You can do some really cool things with a simple rope and a few good knots.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #33 - Jul 7th, 2005 at 6:30am

You are indeed the FUN slinger Cheesy

LOL

IP Logged

Thori
Descens

Reply #34 - Jul 7th, 2005 at 12:11pm

That was hilarious, Funslinger  Cheesy  We, as a community, could no doubt make that movie and teach the world the evils of Dr. Windknot.

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #35 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 7:33am

Has anyone else made slings out of plastic bags? Anyone care to give it a try? I might, it looks interesting.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #36 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 4:22pm

i have, it was made by twisting two 6 inch strips of plastic bag, the tin kind. i didn't use it, but it looked like it would work.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

asemery
Funditor

Reply #37 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 5:35pm

I made one following the idea shown here. I cut the plastic bag into 2" wide strips and looped the strips together into a daisy chain (rather than the method shown in the link)The cords were twisted a lot tighter using a hand drill.  The pouch , made from the left over plastic was made following the tutorials at slinging.org.  Tony
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-sling-weapon-out-of-a-grocery-bag!-Plus-/

Happily tangled in my nets at http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Morphy, Chris, Rat Man, vetryan15)