Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Shopping bag challenge! (Read 13556 times)
Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: Shopping bag challenge!
Reply #15 - Jul 2nd, 2005 at 12:25am

Hey - coming up with good ways to make the cordage (or not Wink) is a fun part of figuring this one out! This isn't a job I'd pick a drop spindle for, at least without quite a lot of prep. I'm as curious to see what people can come up with for cords as I am to see the finished slings!

Nice first entry Klarth.

I'm glad you guys have picked up the challenge! This should be pretty fun.

Matthias

IP Logged

be_slinger

near Seattle
Reply #16 - Jul 2nd, 2005 at 1:11am

Matthias has a good point about the drop spindle. It is a good tool, I made yarns for my first few plastic cords using a drop spindle. You could consider this good practice for drop spinning other fibers.

Sooner rather than later you're going to feel the need for speed!

Here's a pig-simple way to get motorized..

1.Take an electric drill and clamp it carefully in a vise or stand.
2. Insert a piece of metal rod in the chuck. This is your spindle.
3. Tie your spinning material to the rod.
4. Spin an armspan of your material into cord.
5. Wind the cord on the spindle.

With practice drafting, spinning, and winding will become a smooth, uninterrupted process.

The trickiest part will be controlling the motor speed. You'll either need a variable speed drill and a friend, or a motor control circuit. I opted for the latter.

This is what you might call the ghetto great wheel.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #17 - Jul 2nd, 2005 at 6:00am

I guess you made a spindle wheel out of a drill.
(A spindle wheel being the older version of a spinning wheel, just a stick revolving and a way to get it doing that.)

But please remember that there is no emergecy stop in this set-up and unlike the old fashioned wheel, this one keeps on turning if you get in problems.

So if you can get a set-up that stops when you stop pushing a lever or button, that is much safer.

Willeke.

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Sling when you're winning

Near Manchester, England
Reply #18 - Jul 2nd, 2005 at 7:33am

Ive been having a go at this and now i need to ask a few quesitons...
How do you stop the cord untwisting after you've twisted it?
How do you join two bits of untwisted bag together to make one long cord?
Rik

I'm slinging in the rain, such a glorious feeling...

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #19 - Jul 2nd, 2005 at 11:46am

The easiest/best/most common way of locking the twist in a strand is to ply two or more strands together. If you make one longinsh strand and let the middle "kink" back on itself, you'll see that the twist id reversed, and balances out. Then all you need to do is knot the end or apply a whipping and voila!

With most spun yarns, several strands are pre-twisted and stored on spools. Once the final cord is ready to be assembled, those guys are twisted (reverse of original) together to make a balanced ply.

A neat trick that people might like to try is navajo plying. It is a very clever way of making a three strand yarn with a single pre-twisted one. If you are spindle turning, or storing the strand on a bobbin it works really well:

The idea is to attach the loose end to you spindle/wheel/stick, tie a knot and then pull a loop of the free end through like you were tying a "chain knot"/crochet. If you make the loop really big (say 30-40cm) you'll notice that you have three strands. They will want to twist together, so let them. Once the end of the loop starts getting pretty small, pull another loop through! You end up with tiny little "bumps" where the loop ends, but this is usually made up for in the fact that all three strands are more likely to be identical - yielding really professional looking resuts.

The other easy option is not to ply the strands at all. They'll be a little tougher to handle, but any construction that uses more than one strand, like braiding,weaving,knitting, crochet etc (I know the last two are "technically" one strand) will stabilise the twist.

Joining the pieces is little trickier if you are using a single tape of plastic than it might be with more, or with natural fibres. You should be able to just overlap them a bit and let the twist hold them together. The initial yarn will be a little bit weaker at that point since the plastic is so slippery, but it should hold ok later. Alternatively you could melt the ends together? Or knot them. NO rules in this challenge!

Matthias

IP Logged

be_slinger

near Seattle
Reply #20 - Jul 2nd, 2005 at 12:08pm

Willeke is right to bring up safety concerns when using a drill as a spindle wheel. Fortunately shopping bags are made of low density poly. If your drills speeds of out of control you will most likely break your string. If you try this with stronger materials, you could actually get hurt!

This is why you need a friend to help or a way to control your speed/ on-off, preferably hands-free. Trust me, you can make a real mess without this.

Matthias, I Have fused the ends of the ribbons together with great success. With a heat sealer and a drill, I can really crank this stuff out.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #21 - Jul 2nd, 2005 at 12:31pm

And, may be not needed, glue and sticky tape can be used to hold plastic in place while working on it.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
IP Logged

be_slinger

near Seattle
Reply #22 - Jul 3rd, 2005 at 12:25am

OK here's another entry...

Klarh is still taking the lead for style. I guess I'll go for the most aggro shopping bag sling sling award. Hey, pretty it ain't but it works pretty dang good for what it is.

Finger loop? Uhh no, try wrist loop. Let's face it, going shopping makes me want to sling hurking Conan rocks! During todays test trials this thing hurled baseball (and larger) sized rocks on average 210-230 feet with relative ease. Yep, that's with the underhand.

A longer sling would get me farther, but I'd rather not be the first member of slinging.org to go to prison for sling induced manslaughter.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #23 - Jul 3rd, 2005 at 4:40am

Dan,
My spining gear exist entirely of one straigth stick.

But I have seen many drop spindles. They are dead simple to make. Take one stick, from 2 mm up to 10 mm diameter is good. Atach a weight. If there is no stick sticking out above the weight you need to atach a hook, if there is, you may leave it as it is, carve a groove or a hook.
The weight can be many shapes, as long as it evenly divided around the stick. Some people make an x from wood with an hole drilled in its centre and use that. The spindles I learned it with, (home made by my dad,) did have a disk of wood at the very top. Up to the industrial revolution weights have been made from glas, clay and different kinds of metal, all with a hole in the middle to put a it of stick in it. A friend uses whatever she can find, like nuts for bolts, wrapped in tin foil and then covered  with Turks head knots or ball covering knots.

Prefered positions are:
-At the top of the stick,
-One quarter down from the top,
-One quarter to one eight up from the bottom of the stick.

The amount of weight decides how thick you spin. With a very heavy drop spindle it is hard to make very thin yarn, with a very light drop spindle it is imposible to spin a thick wool yarn.

I would experiment with a weight like 100 grams for a starter. (That is going on memory for an averige wool drop spindle.)
You might need 200 grams, or just 50 as easily.

If this is not enough, google. You can do it as well as I and I am too lazy now.

Willeke

IP Logged

be_slinger

near Seattle
Reply #24 - Jul 3rd, 2005 at 1:36pm

It's true, drop spindles are super easy to make. I'm sure you have the parts just kicking around your home. I know I did.

That's a ball point pen, flywheel from a very old harddrive (love the styish optical encoder), and a screw hook with a bit of hot glue to keep it firm.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #25 - Jul 3rd, 2005 at 2:46pm

So let us recycle computer parts to recycle shopping bags Grin

Willeke

IP Logged

be_slinger

near Seattle
Reply #26 - Jul 3rd, 2005 at 2:55pm

What can I say, I'm a modern primitive...

Not a lot of animal carcasses around here but plenty of dead computers!

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #27 - Jul 4th, 2005 at 10:21am

Nicely in keeping with the theme! Great example.

I'll admit though that the first thing I thought when I saw the picture was not nice spindle (which it is) but "where on earth did be_slinger find a giant optical encoder disk/flywheel lying around the house?" Urban survival... I once built a shaky leanto entirely out of old hard drives... well, it was a big pile anyways, and it was leaning Wink

Matthias

IP Logged

me

I sling therefore I am.

Rowlett, TX, USA
Reply #28 - Jul 4th, 2005 at 12:13pm

Lol... hard drive to drop spindle, that seems the only "logical" next step right.  Wink
As a kid my parents were pack rats, and I was forever
taking modern stuff and creating primitive weapons out of them. Tons of fun.

IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Sling when you're winning

Near Manchester, England
Reply #29 - Jul 4th, 2005 at 3:11pm

How do you use a drop spindle?
Rik

I'm slinging in the rain, such a glorious feeling...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Rat Man)