Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Fire Drills- UK Woods? (Read 6378 times)
sensingpresence
Novicius

philadelphia pennsylvania
Re: Fire Drills- UK Woods?
Reply #15 - Jun 16th, 2005 at 11:18am

i had noticed the name of the thread-i gave all the info i had on the subject because i am not aware of the uk plants and was hoping some of the information might help(what a concept huh?)english its to bad were not all as smart as you-

IP Logged

Burro
Tiro

Reply #16 - Jun 19th, 2005 at 11:09am

Hi Lionheart,

I was quite happy when I noticed your thread...  I've been trying to light a fire with a handdrill without succes for a time.... I'm from mainland Europe so the woods you will be using should be similar an present here.
I haven't got  a copy of that book and actually, I'm not planning on buying it in the near future. The libraries over here are the same...  they usually haven't got what I need.....  Sad     When you will have read the copy of ray mears' bushcraft, could you post a list with usable woods here?

Thanks,
Ciao,

Burro.

IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Sling when you're winning

Near Manchester, England
Reply #17 - Jun 19th, 2005 at 1:09pm

Ye sure, ive got exmas all this week, but next weekend i should have it.  I have the same problm withbow woods, all the lists are for american woods, and ic ant find any here  Sad
Rik

I'm slinging in the rain, such a glorious feeling...

IP Logged

Burro
Tiro

Reply #18 - Jun 20th, 2005 at 5:03am

Hi Lionheart,

At present, I'm not very far from the UK. I'm from Belgium.

Bye,

Burro.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jun 21st, 2005 at 12:11pm

Hey man, I can give you some help.  I've got the book. 
  Here's a good list; contains African woods as well, and some miscellaneous woods, but you should be able to get a lot of them:
HAND DRILL WOODS
Alder, aspen, baobab, bamboo, blackboy, buddleia, burdock, cat-tail, common corkwood, cottonwood, confetti tree, elder, false sandpaper raisin, grewip, hibiscus, horse chestnut, knobbly compretum, large fever berry, marula, mangetti, mullein, pine, red flowered kurrajong, sage brush, saguaro rib, sotol, sycamore, sycamore fig, teasel, trumpet thorn, willow.
HEARTH WOODS
Alder, aspen, baobab, blackboy, cedar, clematis, common corkwood, confetti tree, cottonwood, elder, false sandpaper raisin, field maple, grewip, hibiscus, horse chestnut, knobbly compretum, large fever berry, marula, mangetti, norway maple, pine, red flowered kurrajong, saguaro rib, sotol, sycamore, sycamore fig, trumpet thorn, willow.
BOW DRILL WOODS (drill or hearth)
Alder, aspen, baobab, birch, cedar, cherry root, clematis, cottonwood, cypress, elder, elm, fir (balsam), hazel, hibiscus, horse chestnut, IVY, juniper, LIME, field maple, norway maple, marula, oak, pine, poplar, wild rose, saguaro rib, SOTOL, spruce, SYCAMORE, WILLOW, yucca.

There are a few American woods, some African ones, and a few others...  They're all tried and tested.  In teh last section, the capital letters indicate the best, most suitable woods.

IP Logged

Burro
Tiro

Reply #20 - Jun 21st, 2005 at 2:10pm

Thanks English, I'm gone try some of them as soom as I can.

Bye,

Burro.

IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Near Manchester, England
Reply #21 - Jun 21st, 2005 at 3:27pm

lol, i havent a clue what most of those woods are but i can easily get horse chestnut and sycamore so il lexperiment with them
Rik

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Jun 22nd, 2005 at 1:41pm

I expect you can get aspen, alder, maple, hazel, oak, lime, ivy, cat-tail, clematis, elder, pine, mullein, willow and juniper.  Are you familiar with these woods?

IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Near Manchester, England
Reply #23 - Jun 22nd, 2005 at 2:11pm

Errr, i know oak pine willow and ivy, adn my mum will know some more,
rik

IP Logged

fest64
Novicius

why 4 arms why 4 legs....
.. ?

Wiltshire  orbis
Reply #24 - Aug 8th, 2005 at 1:32pm

Hi there Lionheart, now dont thinking I want to stop this nice little chat thats going on (because I d'not)here because of this link.http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=27   ???this site is full of Info. from people from all over the world who get along together on the subject of handdrills the likes etc.etc Grin.... ..hope you find want you are looking for. Roll Eyes fest
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2005 at 12:36pm by fest64 »  

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #25 - Aug 14th, 2005 at 11:53am

I've had great success in using dried mullien stalks for firemaking. They would be great for the actual stick.
  Where they really come in handy is a fireplow. Get a nice dried stalk, then a board, about 12 in. long. Cut a long groove in the board, lengthwise.
   On your knees, hold the board at an angle against your body. Start rubbing the stalk up and down in it. Do it slowly at first, so that the stalk can crumble a little and accumulate at the bottom. Then go faster and faster.
   Eventually, the debris will be warm enough to form coals. From there it must be nursed into fire.
   Check out the movie Castaway. In it, Tom Hanks tries both a bow and a plow, but only makes fire with a plow.
   As for a fire piston, these were made by Pacific Islanders. They work on the samre principle of the piston in the car.
    A tube ( they used lengths of bamboo) is filled with very fine tinder. A rod was made that just fit into the tube. This was pumped up and down a few times. The air is compressed, heated, and the tinder starts flaming. A well trained islander can get a fire going with this faster than can a white man with matches or a lighter.    ( And then we have the nerve to call them primative and stupid)   
   The only problem is that the tube piston fit has to be just right. Too loose and the air doesn't compress. Too tght and either the piston will get stuck, or the air will actually form a springy cushion, and you get no where.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)