Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Fire Drills- UK Woods? (Read 6384 times)
Lionheart
Descens

Sling when you're winning

Near Manchester, England
Fire Drills- UK Woods?
Jun 11th, 2005 at 4:38pm

Ive been trying to make a fire drill, and i was wonderign what woods commonly found in the UK would work?  On another note, has anyone bought/made/ heard of the firepiston, one cool bit of primitive tech.
Rik

I'm slinging in the rain, such a glorious feeling...

IP Logged

hellier

Betwixt a rock and a hard
place

Airlie Beach QLD Australia
Re: Fire Drills- UK Woods?
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2005 at 10:08pm

Holly is great Grin

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2005 at 12:22pm

What kind of firedrill, hand drill or bow drill?
  In many ways it doesn't matter.  The bow drill can cope with harder woods, but that is about the only difference.  Field/Norway maple, sycamore, willow, there are so many.  For a really good hand drill combination, I'd go with a cat-tail stalk drill and a clematis hearth.  It works brilliantly.  Ivy is also good with a bow drill, for both hearth and drill.

IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Near Manchester, England
Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2005 at 2:33pm

I was thinkiung about a hand drill, imeant to mention that.  So does it oly have to be that the hearth is a soft wood, and the drill is harder?

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2005 at 2:24pm

There is no rule about what wood to use, no hard-soft rule.  Some hard-soft combos work, but... sometimes the drill will wear away the hearth to quick, or the other way around.  You should really buy a book about fire drill woods, because certain combinations work and others don't, and you need indepth explanation from a book, really.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2005 at 2:33pm

Or, if you only need it once, look it up in a library.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2005 at 3:21pm

Indeed.  You could copy out the relevant section, if no one sees you.

IP Logged

sensingpresence
Novicius

philadelphia pennsylvania
Reply #7 - Jun 14th, 2005 at 8:30am

all this info is from the tom brown standard class-bowdrill woods-should be able to push in wood slightly with thumbnail-avoid soft resonious wood(pine,spruce,fir)avoid hardwood(oak hickory,walnut)you can use cedar,birch,aspen,ribunums,sassafrass,cottonwood,basswood,maple,yucca,mullein,pa
lm,sumac,beech,sage,elder,buckeye,boxelder,tamarach,juniper,elderberry,mesquite,
poplar,CA bay,CAfanpalm,willow,any fruit tree-----for technique and form as well as how to make the peices the right size for your body(this way you dont use to much energy and you get a coal quicker)refer to Tom Brown Jr's Feild Guides or ask back this way------------------------for the hand drill-setback--needs to be really dry wood,harder to find,only seasonaly available-takes 1-3 months of practice to get good,takes more co-ordination,lots of blisters form on hands-----------you can use elderberry,saguaro,mock orange,fire weed,willow,buckeye,dogbane,fleabane,mugwort,yucca,mullein,goldenrod ,horseweed,burdock,cattail,reed,clematis,thistle,teasle,sunflower sotol-for proper size refer to feild guides or ask back this way---------------------trouble shooting the hand drill--work the hole hand-end of hand to end of pinky,long strokes,go from the top of the stalk all the way to the bottom-put in the dirt time for best results-Peace Arwen

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #8 - Jun 14th, 2005 at 10:08am

Where can a person buy Tom Brown's book? I've been interested in survival for many years now and have always liked Larry Dean Olsen's book and have also enjoyed Bradford Angier's books as well. You might try those.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 14th, 2005 at 3:54pm

1/3 of those listed don't gorw in the UK outside of gardens.  If you want good, UK-based info, then buy a Ray Mears book.  Specifically, for this information, buy "Bushcraft"; it has a large section on fire-lighting, with many different forms, from fire plough to butane lighter.

IP Logged

sensingpresence
Novicius

Reply #10 - Jun 14th, 2005 at 4:05pm

well english that still leaves a few to play with doesn't it-the info is for everyone not just people in the uk-

IP Logged

sensingpresence
Novicius

Reply #11 - Jun 14th, 2005 at 4:09pm

mike-you could probably find many of tom browns feild guides and novels at barnes and noble,your local library,or at his website www.trackerschool.com at the school store-

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #12 - Jun 14th, 2005 at 7:33pm

Thanks. I would go to the library here but they never have what I want, It is impossible to find a book lady, half the lights are off because no one is there. It is like a mini ghost town, complete with tumbleweeds blowing through the isles.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jun 15th, 2005 at 10:44am

Had you not noticed the title of the thread?  Also, many of those mentioned have different names in the proper language - ie, Buckeye is a horsechestnut, tamarack is larch, that kind of thing.  Anyway, doesn't matter, so long as everyone can light a fire the proper way.

IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Near Manchester, England
Reply #14 - Jun 15th, 2005 at 12:46pm

Yei thoguth about Ray Mears Bush Craft, I know my friends got a copy ill have to have a look

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Chris)