Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Worst sling but it works for like 8 throws (Read 1309 times)
knight

blargh~

Philadelphia
Worst sling but it works for like 8 throws
Apr 9th, 2005 at 11:08pm

well it was an experiment cause myfriend wanted a sling and he had no good materials cept some packing string and scotch tape so i costructed a sling and it was really good at first but the one time he used the bigest rock it the tape riped and the rock flew at me lol luckly didnt hurt to much but anyways i donno why i am posting this i guess im bored and tired well good night all (I know i didnt use periods just work with me im pretty sleepy)

...&&&&
xrpgknightx xrpgknightx  
IP Logged

Thori
Descens

Re: Worst sling but it works for like 8 throws
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2005 at 1:21am

Heh, that sounds like the first sling I made, with a square of stockinette fabric and some string.  I had to keep re-tying the knots after each throw.

For quick slings, I'd recommend the sling knot with a piece of cordage at least six feet in length.  I bought a 50' length of braided nylon rope for three bucks at Wal-Mart and using only some scissors, the sling knot, and bowlines, made three servicable slings in about five minutes for use at a lake.  You can read about the sling knot here, on the forum:

http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11110954...

This sort of sling has always worked handsomely for me, even despite its quick nature.  And for clarity, the "sling knot" I refer to is the locked sheepshank mentioned by Willeke later in that thread.  I haven't tried the one Yurek uses, but it looks similar.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #2 - Apr 10th, 2005 at 4:32am

The knot Yurek uses is very good for a permanent sling, the locked sheepshank is better if you want to reuse the string for something else afterwards. Its knots are a little bigger and more likely to get in the way.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Thori
Descens

Reply #3 - Apr 10th, 2005 at 10:43pm

Ah!  Thank you for clarifying that, Willeke.  Truly, though, the locked sheepshank has served me well with golfball-sized rocks, or their equivalent in weight.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man, Morphy)