Send Topic Print
Total body Slinging (Read 3338 times)
Markmyster
Tiro

Always

Ontario Canada
Total body Slinging
Apr 3rd, 2005 at 9:18pm

For simplicity this explanation is written from the point of view of a right handed slinger.

Next time you go slinging try this. Point the left side of your body toward the target, so far left that your neck almost hurts from twisting left to look at the target. Your left shoulder should also point at the target, and your right shoulder should point away from the target. Now as you shoot correct this imbalance buy turning to face the target. Those of you not already doing this may be surprised at the results. The sling becomes a total body weapon and the power of your throw goes way up.

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Re: Total body Slinging
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2005 at 9:24pm

Good point....this and many more inhabit the vast archive that is slinging.org.  Almost every useful style in the world is covered here.

Smiley

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Thori
Descens

Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2005 at 9:52pm

I agree, Mark.  I was out slinging into a lake today and I found that, with the overhead sling-swipe maneuver, a twist of the upper body not only greatly increases power and consistency, but makes the sport more accessible to the inexperienced!  I taught the style to four people, three of whom had at least goofed around with a sling before, and one who I don't think had ever seen one.  They picked it up with ease.

Also, a friend of mine (shadow22 on the board) once demonstrated remarkable accuracy with a technique that involved rotating the entire body 360 degrees, with the sling stretched out horizontally in a kind of mega-sidearm.  My theory at the time was that this accuracy (and consistency) is probably a result of employing the entire body in the cast.

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2005 at 1:15am

I've been talking up the merits of this style for quite a while now. You're talking about looking back over your shoulder at the target and then pivoting as you cast? I think the mistake that many new slingers, myself included is that they equate speed of rotation with a powerfull release. While that is true to a point I came to a few conclusions about that. One, you can only spin so fast, two when spinning that fast I get a sore elbow, and three It gets hard to time the release when doing so. I trained for years in martial arts and boxing so I just applied some of that to slinging. The only reason I rotate the sling is so I can feel where the rock is with a long sling. Also by using the whole body I have vastly improved both aim and power. I try to snap it off from the shoulder and get a nasty whipcrack and good accuracy now. With a 55 inch sling I am getting 5oz rocks about 300 meters and before with the really, really fast hellicopter it was maybe 175 meters.

IP Logged

Markmyster
Tiro

Always

Ontario Canada
Reply #4 - Apr 4th, 2005 at 9:38am

Yes Mike that's exacly what I'm talking about. I also try to moderate my muscles by not pushing one more than any other, but instead use a moderate effort with all my muscles, including back legs hips and abdomen.

IP Logged

justbarak

Nashville, TN
Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2005 at 5:56am

ahhh, you guys should check out my nifty movie in the articles section.  I did a write-up for Chris awhile back with the movie.  The two things that I found that really improved my slinging was (1) the afore-mentioned total body slinging, (2) and at what point in the rotation I began the throw. 

If you watch the movie you can see the total body movement (hereafter referred to as the TBM).  Just as you described Mark - point the left shoulder at the target and as you through rotate the hips followed by the right shoulder and let your arm unwind like a whip as it follows through.  My throws crack like whip (you can even hear it on the movie clip). 

The second part I discovered through trial and error.  If I begin my throw when the sling is above my head then the forward action of your throw begins when the cradle is behind you maximizing acceleration of the projectile.  If you go any later and your throw competes with the forward movement of the sling.  It was cool to watch the video in slow-mo and see the circular path of the cradle change to an eliptical orbit during the throw, which also increases acceleration. 

The same also applies for over-hand throws I've discovered.  The overhand throw is probably more natural as far as the TBM is concerned since it more accurately imitates a baseball throw.

Barak

WWW justbarak  
IP Logged

Markmyster
Tiro

Always

Ontario Canada
Reply #6 - Apr 7th, 2005 at 7:11pm

I saw your movie it is very cool, and your point about the position of the right arm is a good one. During the final throw, I imagine I have a giant arm that is just throwing a stone.

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #7 - Apr 9th, 2005 at 1:12pm

i was slinging today in the way described above, but thought i'd try something different. i have now increased my range by 50%. instead of pointing the left shoulder towards the target i pointed my right shoulder towards it, and brought the sling from left to right.
imagine drawing a sword from the left hip and cutting at an opponent on your right, keeping the arm straight, turning the body and letting the back muscles pull the sling arm round.
pow! the stone hit the tree-trunk like a bullet.
if anyone has tried this, which may be common enough but i haven't found it described on the forum so far, what do they think? no wind-up, just hold the stone in the pouch and a180 degree turn of the sling.   
best regards SV

IP Logged

Markmyster
Tiro

Always

Ontario Canada
Reply #8 - Apr 9th, 2005 at 1:21pm

Hi SV can you take a movie of that and post it I can't imagine what you mean.

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #9 - Apr 9th, 2005 at 3:30pm

i'll try to post a movie. but for now....
imagine you are standing on a giant clock face.
you are facing 12 oclock, 6 oclock is behind you, 3 oclock is to your right, 9 oclock to your left.
the target for a right-handed slinger is at 3 oclock.
now turn your body to the left, holding the sling pouch in the left hand. you are now looking at the target over the right shoulder, (which you can now see out of the corner of the right eye)  the right hand is near your left hip joint, the left hand is holding the pouch, with the sling held taut, about 12" behind the left buttock. the right arm is straight.  the sling forms a line pointing to about 10 oclock, with the right hand futhest from the target. (nearest 10 oclock)
you are twisted round to the left virtually as far as you can go.
now untwist as quickly as possible,  at the same time letting the pouch go.  the right arm swings towards 3 oclock, and the back muscles accelerate the arm as the body untwists. the legs get a bit of power behind it too.
the body powers the shot, there is no wind-up, the stone moves about 270 degrees before it is released but it is subject to gradual acceleration for the whole movement.   the sling is not snapped by the wrist.
i ended up looping the cord so it ran down the inside of the middle finger and keeping the hand open, with the thumb keeping the release knot in place on the palm. the stones flew much more quickly. they didn't "hum", the trajectory was dead straight and  they were breaking twigs and small branches.   
in short,  the back muscles are doing the work throwing the arm away from the body, and not the pectoral muscle bringing the arm in towards the body.
its like a katana being drawn, hand moves from left hip, the movement ends with the arm straight out parallel to the ground pointing to 3 oclock. the arm is straightened as the body uncoils. the stone is the tip of the sword. (but it's more deadly than any sword of course)   
hope this description helps.
sv

IP Logged

Markmyster
Tiro

Always

Ontario Canada
Reply #10 - Apr 9th, 2005 at 6:47pm

Wow! Would it be correct to say it's almost like the way a figure skater spins, or a scottish taber thrower?  Please do make a movie I am very interested to see your technique. It sounds to me like you may be onto the way some of the ancients did it. I have heard many cultures use only one windup. I have never been able to use the one swing method with much success. By the way what is a katana?

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #11 - Apr 9th, 2005 at 8:38pm

sv,

If I understand correctly, there was a post about this style of throwing a while back:

http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11011160...

How far can you reach with this style?

Mark,

A kantana is a Japanese long sword.

IP Logged

Markmyster
Tiro

Always

Ontario Canada
Reply #12 - Apr 9th, 2005 at 9:01pm

So you never turn your back on the target? I will try it as soon as I can get out.

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #13 - Apr 10th, 2005 at 4:48am

tint the backhand throw link describes it quite well, but it seems that the thrower wasn't putting his entire body behind the release and there was a lack of power.
mark, actually your back is towards the target the instant before the throw after the body turns to the left- (but a line through the shoulders points to the target before the body prepares for the throw) and you see it -only just- out of the extreme corner of the right eye.  in fact your left shoulder is possibly fractionally closer to it than the right, because the right shoulder has gone from the 3 - oclock position (target at 3) to about 12 oclock, and the left shoulder is now pointing to 6 oclock. i forgot to say that the feet are pointing to 12 oclock throughout the throw.
it'll have to wait for a distance measurement as i pulled a muscle cos i'm building a shed.
i found that it was essential to keep the sling fairly taut before the throw. 
although i am a novice i am now utterly convinced of the sling's power. when these throws went right (and they didn't always - if i mis-timed it there was a lack of power or the stone dropped out of the pouch when i let it go) it was like shooting a pistol. there was an instantaneout "thock!" and pieces of tree bark falling.
i will post a movie soon.
best regards SV   

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris)