Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Braiding (Read 8236 times)
Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: Braiding
Reply #30 - Mar 31st, 2005 at 12:24am

The page shows it pretty well actually... I expect that the trouble is that you are thinking too hard. I've been working with cordage of one type or another for a living for the last six years, and I still haven't quite convinced myself that "over 5 under 2" _should_ work - nevermind that it does.

Grab 8 cords and lay them out flat. Take the outside strand and bring it over 5 strands, then back under 2. Repeat from the other side. Don't try too hard and magic! - eight strand braid.

You can certainly get into more complex braids, and patterns, and tools... but this is a decent start.

Matthias

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #31 - Mar 31st, 2005 at 11:55am

I have today added a round braid of six strings. Unlike the braid Matthias mentioned is this an one-up one-down structure. Not easier, but better round.

Willeke

http://www.home.zonnet.nl/willeke_igkt/tables/braid-text_table.html

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #32 - Mar 31st, 2005 at 12:19pm

Yes, I meant to mention that all of the "over and back" variants give you what amounts to a four strand braid with the extra strands swapped in and out of the core. The big advantage is really that it can be worked flat, and quickly. Once you get into multiple strands moving at a time, you start to either need to be a genius or use a braiding table / cards /maru dai.

Matthias

IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Sling when you're winning

Near Manchester, England
Reply #33 - Mar 31st, 2005 at 12:37pm

That round 6 looks really complicated, Im not even going to attempt thatfor a while...
Ive just finished a new sling which is 12 strand; braided with the simple round 4, with 3 strands in each.  Ill post some pics soon,
Lionheart

I'm slinging in the rain, such a glorious feeling...

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #34 - Mar 31st, 2005 at 4:03pm

Lionheart,
The braid looks harder than it is. If you can do a round four braid with three strings each, you can do this braid too, just read the text. It is one of the braids that is much harder to draw than to do.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #35 - Apr 2nd, 2005 at 5:24pm

An other braid added, the same 8 strand braid as the one discused here before, but now in my own style.

http://www.home.zonnet.nl/willeke_igkt/tables/8square_table.html

Willeke
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2005 at 5:24pm by Willeke »  

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #36 - Apr 10th, 2005 at 1:33pm

Now also on the site, the round braid of eight, it is a 1-up 1-down braid, but needs a core.

Willeke

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Morphy)