Send Topic Print
Length of cords (Read 5622 times)
Nonkin_Monk
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!     Literaly

Lyman, UT
Re: Length of cords
Reply #15 - Mar 3rd, 2005 at 9:53pm

The last time i went slinging i used a sling that was about 60" folded up. Grin My dad, Larry Bray used a 51" sling and a 2 ounce or so rock. Seemed to work for him.

Nonkin_Monk - Tis' a silly name.

IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #16 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 12:24am

I measure from the end of my right hand to the inside of my left shoulder for the chord lengths.

IP Logged

longwinger
Descens

Mustang, Oklahoma
Reply #17 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 9:44pm

The last time i went slinging i used a sling that was about 60" folded up.  My dad, Larry Bray used a 51" sling and a 2 ounce or so rock. Seemed to work for him.

Hi Nonkin_Monk,
If you have access to a digital camera, could you make a video of you father slinging, and/or of yourself demonstrating the technique? Most digital cameras have a video mode for short movies.
Thanks,
Oscar

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #18 - Mar 5th, 2005 at 10:58am

Nice to see you here,  Nonkin_Monk.

Yeah, we would love to see your father's slinging on a movie, yours too, of course Smiley

Greet him, please.

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

jonas
Novicius

Harnosand, Sweden
Reply #19 - Mar 6th, 2005 at 5:33pm

okay Cheesy
sorry 'bout the time... my internet hasn't been what it used to lately... okay.. I just read Hondero's posts concerning the balearians slings and length of these Smiley very nice.
and that about the "Sling knot" by KnollSlinger. very good invention indeed Wink  So I decided to make one of those short balearic ones. The length between fingertips to elbow. In sweden that measurment is reffered to as an "aln" Wink
Well yeah. with that little thingy iI've been throwing snowballs and ice... the lack of stones disturbes me  Angry
However it seems to work pretty fine Smiley

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #20 - Mar 7th, 2005 at 6:53am

Cool Jonas!!  I also made a balearic short sling a while ago and it's a lot of fun and handy, very nice for short/medium distances besides still shooting reasonable long distance Smiley

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

jonas
Novicius

Harnosand, Sweden
Reply #21 - Mar 9th, 2005 at 9:52am

Yeah Cheesy
But i can't help wondering.. What kinds of slings did the balearians use besides the length.. i.e. materials and design?

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #22 - Mar 9th, 2005 at 2:39pm

There is quite a bit of info on the Balearic slings if you look back through the archived posts (set the search to 999 days). We've had intermittent contact with a few members of the modern day slinging association on the islands.

The Federacio Balear de Tir de Fona has a nice website up at:

http://www.tirdefona.com

Quite a few of the english pages are incomplete, so it helps if you can read or at least decipher Catalan. A good tutorial on traditional sling construction is at:

http://www.tirdefona.com/Ingles/marcoing.htm

Suitable substitutes for "pita" would be sisal/hemp/jute cord. These slings are built solidly enough that they don't require unreasonable strength in your materials. The design is of course adaptable to synthetics as well, and is essentially the same as many of the methods posted here in the articles section of the site.

I like the leather binding on the pocket and retention loop. Functional and makes for a nice looking sling. These _look_ like a design that has been refined over centuries of use! More pictures at:

http://www.tirdefona.com/Ingles/marcoing.htm

Matthias

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man)