Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Length of cords (Read 5621 times)
jonas
Novicius

Harnosand, Sweden
Length of cords
Feb 27th, 2005 at 1:37pm

I just wonder what are the sling lenghts you all use? What techniques do you use? Heaviness of projectiles?
I'd like to find out what's the best length compared to techique and ammo..

/Jonas

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: Length of cords
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 1:43pm

Jonas, welcome to the site. 

The question you ask has been answered several times already.
If you click Search in the heading of the page and search for cord lengths, you will find a lot of info already there.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 2:19pm

currently am using 33" folded, and around 70 grams stones, just my preferences... it depends in many factors,  height, complexion, what you ar used to, or feel comfort with... even depending on the mood i can shift for a shorter or longer sling...

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

jonas
Novicius

Harnosand, Sweden
Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 2:20pm

I thank you Smiley

Sorry for acting like a newbie, but i thought I'd spare some time doing it like this Tongue haha, no really I've already done that.

Jonas

IP Logged

graf_zahl
Tiro

plauen-germany
Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 2:25pm

my sling is about 1,3m; the stones i prefer are from 30 to 80gram; my favorite technique is the overhand method, cause  it's more accurate and easier to handle.

never be timid!
IP Logged

jonas
Novicius

Harnosand, Sweden
Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 2:26pm

33'... So I suppose you using the "helicopter" style slinging? Do you throw overhand or underhand?

IP Logged

jonas
Novicius

Harnosand, Sweden
Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 2:28pm

okay graf_zahl  Smiley

1.3 m , folded that is?

IP Logged

graf_zahl
Tiro

plauen-germany
Reply #7 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 2:49pm

1,3m from pouch to the finger. unfolded it has a length of 3m.

never be timid!
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 3:00pm

Total length of most of the slings I use is around five feet 8 inches in total, not folded.  All slings are braided, most have woven pouches.  I like to have a nice sharp 'snap' noise when I sling, for no other reason than it sounds cool, so most of my slings have fairly long tassels on the release cord.  I use primarily a single overhand blast, but often I'll use whatever technique I feel like using.  "Helicopter" style is one I use surprisingly often, but I wouldn't use it to hunt or for target practise - just for fun - and I use usually only one rotation, with a swift build up of speed just before release, just like when using a vertical underhand technique.
  I use beach or river stones, quarzite, granite, basalt, whatever I can find, a teensy bit smaller than a golfball, sometimes larger but that size works for me.  I couldn't tell you the weight of the stones, because it is all instinctive, and I don't feel the need to weigh them.  I've also used quite a few clay projectiles, and strangely I've found they skip across the water, especially at low power.  For duck hunting they'd work great.  The clay projectiles were smaller - longer, but thinner - than my regular sling stones.

IP Logged

the_warrior_yeti
Descens

ARRRRRGH!

Fayetteville, AR, USA
Reply #9 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 6:43pm

Shorter slings are faster than longer slings right? I'm pretty sure that's the case. I like the buzzing sound some stones make, like a stray bullet, as well as the whipcrack of the sling.

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #10 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 3:14am

Quote:
33'... So I suppose you using the "helicopter" style slinging? Do you throw overhand or underhand?

33 inches! lol not 33 feet  Cheesy if i were to use 33 feet sling i would have to use chinook helicopter style...  <j/k> the longer sling i've used  wasn't longer than 6 feet, too long sling for slinging in the places i use to go (mountains with lot of bush and trees) i remember i used to sling biiig rocks with that, using a similar style of the hammer throwing...  i think nowadays my poor joints won't stand that abuse  8)

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #11 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 3:22am

P.D. about my style: I use right handed  2-3 spin underhand tilting the spin plane over my head  about 60º for long distance and about 90º for short distance.

IP Logged

jonas
Novicius

Harnosand, Sweden
Reply #12 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 11:50am

haha Tongue very funny eh? i am used to the metric system  Wink
I don't know how you right it   Embarrassed

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #13 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 11:53am

Jonas,
yesterday I gave you a quick way to get the answers. It seems it was not needed. You were right to ask this question. It amazes me how many people have given their information. Let me add mine.

The first slings I made were 80 cm long folded and they felt right from the first moment I used them. The last was 90 cm when I started to use it but I shortened it very fast to 80 cm because my arm hurt after a few throws. From that moment on I used it for another 40 miutes without any problems.
I throw bouncy balls, golfball size as well as slightly bigger than tennis balls. I use the greek overhand release, (slinging styles by David Taylor). I am a beginner but I do enjoy slinging.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

A_C

New York
Reply #14 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 7:56pm

My sling's total length is 5'9" about an inch and a half taller than me.  It used to be about 6', but due to my style, it was so long it would often hit the floor, so I shortened it a little.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, joe_meadmaker)