Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
possible cords? (Read 1746 times)
RockChucker

Montreal MO.
possible cords?
Feb 14th, 2005 at 12:04am

what does everyone think of these woven bands  being used as a cords  for the sling      28 strands of  #10 cotton  they are about 1/2" wide
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2005 at 12:07am by RockChucker »  
bendsum bendsum  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: possible cords?
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 1:29am

I think you've stumbled on a source for card-woven bands! I've got a sling on the loom right now using this technique, except I'm shaping the pouch using extra strand joining as well as weaving the bands. You can work very elaborate designs quite easily, and easily sourced embroidery cottons seem suitable.

I'll post some pics of my sling-in-progress. I've been stalled on the pouch but the pics are good for showing the setup and progress. If you stick to bands, the work progresses pretty quickly.

I like the possibility of having flat/thick cords ("stiff") and elaborate patterns. Not the most utilitarian of slings, but they should be pretty!

Matthias

IP Logged

RockChucker

Montreal MO.
Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 1:35am

i made the bands   in the pic and  will try to add a pouch in  if i can figure it out

bendsum bendsum  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 1:49am

Nice! What did you use for material? How are you planning on joining the pouch - I was thinking about sewing the band back on itself before I worked up the idea for the one piece pouch. Honestly I think the bands are best suited to strings, the reason I got carried away is that I wanted to pull off something with a checkerboard pouch.

I look forward to seeing the finished product!

No card weaving here, but some great inspiration on this site: http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=10821551...

Matthias

IP Logged

RockChucker

Montreal MO.
Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 2:02am

#10 mercurized cotton thread and  4 hole cardboard tablets
have some 1/4'' birch cards in the works   no idea how i will attach  the pouch or how i will make the pouch  i have a pattern around here somewhere for a 8 card checker board pattern band   its only 1/2" wide  but  could use more cards and repeat the threading pattern    will  work  on it  this week  if i get a chance
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2005 at 12:09am by RockChucker »  
bendsum bendsum  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 3:23pm

Same here. I'd like to get a hold of some finer synthetic, aiming for 8-10 card bands about 1/2" wide. My cotton looks a little "shaggy". I also made the mistake of reversing the twist on the outside strands (so that there is no need to untwist the warp) which makes a discontinuity that I don't like. Next time I'll just tough it out. The pouch-in-progress is heading for something like 28 cards.

The design is red and blue reversing chevrons with black borders for the cords, which split into blue/red diagonals surrounding a red and black checkerboard pouch. I made a real mess of the flat braiding in the retention loop, but I have this unreasonable aversion to cutting/knotting/sewing when I don't absolutely need to.

Matthias

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 3:45pm

Matthias,
Maybe a setup like for bobbin lace will help you control the flat braid. Cusion, pins and the string wound on a holder, (piece of cardboard will do). Piece of insulation foam for a cusion. Tie your strings with a clove hitch to the pins when you start op. Braid a little and than tighten carefully, you can use some more pins to hold the braid in place while working on the tensioning. Or use a cardboard braiding board like the Marudai. (I do not know what they are called but I can find out for you.)

And for the pouch, your tablet weaving is a warp face, if you can find a way to change into a weft face for the pouch you may be able to handle the widening as needed and go back to your tablet weaving for the second string.

My weaving friend told me it is not easy to do but she is thinking the official way, you may be able to find an easier way to get it done. I might even try it myself, just for the fun of it.

I have heard today that it is legal here to own a sling but not to use it. And no other slingers around to tell me how they handle the Dutch laws.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 4:30pm

Yep, transitioning to a weft-faced weave would certainly work to widen the pouch without so much joining. This is the traditional method of choice for many peruvian braided slings. I didn't want to sacrifice my patterned warp (that I'm continuing in the pouch edging) Maybe next project!

The braid isn't so much out of control as just jumbled. I don't particularily like the mix of colours that the layout for the strands dictated when braided like this. I should have done somthing a little more clever but this was "intended" to be a prototype Smiley I have another half-finished design that is braided on a board!

Here's a tablet-weaving link for anyone interested:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/kirkflowers/btablet.html#OTHERS

As for the laws concerning slings, I think that this is probably true most places. A sling used in a dangerous manner will be subject to interpretation as a weapon regardless as to whether local/regional/national laws specifically reference slings. I live in the city, and don't feel comfortable slinging anything more threatening than tennis balls (even safer if you have a dog!). I'll sling rocks into the ocean if there are few enough people on the beach (ie no one within range of a pulled throw). I do most of my slinging when I'm out hiking.

Matthias

IP Logged

RockChucker

Montreal MO.
Reply #8 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 6:28pm

i used    swivels  to  keep the twisting down  but  that  wont  work to well one a loom  i  have to stretch  mine from the bed frame  to a eye  hook  on the door lock  works ok if i dont want to do  over 4  or 5 feet at a time

bendsum bendsum  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man)