Winter fun (Read 2413 times)
Bored_Lyron
Novicius

Slings and stones may
break my bones...

Jyväskylä, Finland
Winter fun
Feb 10th, 2005 at 6:38pm

I just came inside after playing with my sling for some time. As it is winter here and there is a lot of snow everywhere I can't really throw any really nice projectiles, at least if I want to recover them or measure ranges. However I noticed that I can still get a good amount of practice by throwing small blocks of ice or well packed snowballs. They may not be the most accurate or aerodynamic of missiles, but practice is practice and I'm still at the stage of being happy when my shot goes in the general direction of my target. Now to get a few friends to make slings and stage a good, long range snowfight...

People only go to hell if that is where they believe, in their deepest heart, that they deserve to go. Which they won't do if they don't know about it. This explains why it is so important to shoot missionaries on sight.&&-Terry Pratchett: Eric

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Re: Winter fun
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2005 at 6:59pm

Better be careful about shooting at this missionary, I shoot back....I AM from Tennessee ya know.................

When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, and his goods are in peace....Luke 11:21

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Bored_Lyron
Novicius

Slings and stones may
break my bones...

Jyväskylä, Finland
Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2005 at 5:03pm

Quote:
Better be careful about shooting at this missionary, I shoot back....I AM from Tennessee ya know.................

Well, you're safe from me anyway as I'm too much of a pacifist to shoot at anyone or anything that I'm not going to eat (or that isn't trying to eat me). In fact, I've been told that as a kid after watching the news I asked if there wasn't enough food for people if they were shooting at each other. The idea that people would use weapons for any other reason than getting food was completely alien to me.

And really, I don't mind even that people try to spread their ideas as long as they are ready to take "Sorry, I have my own idea" for an answer.

As for the slinging, I've been quite surprised how quickly I've been getting better in just a few weeks throwing this and that when walking to the city centre from home. Now I occasionally even hit what I'm aiming at (if the target is big enough and not more than 15 meters away).

People only go to hell if that is where they believe, in their deepest heart, that they deserve to go. Which they won't do if they don't know about it. This explains why it is so important to shoot missionaries on sight.&&-Terry Pratchett: Eric

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2005 at 10:17pm

The last time I checked, your Finnish ancestors in World War II did a good job shooting at the Communists! I admire Finnish courage during WWII.

Isn't slinging a primitive form of shooting?

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Bored_Lyron
Novicius

Slings and stones may
break my bones...

Jyväskylä, Finland
Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 8:58am

Quote:
The last time I checked, your Finnish ancestors in World War II did a good job shooting at the Communists! I admire Finnish courage during WWII.

Yes they did and for the most part I do admire the people who kept Finland independent. However, if the same situation came up now, I'm really not sure what I would do. On the other hand I'm quite ready to defend those that I care about, myself and my rights with all means necessary, but I also think that killing because you are ordered to is one of the worst things a person can do. If you know Finnish history, you also know that we fought Russia several times and that while at first it was just for defence, the last one was a Finnish attack on Russia in support of Germany. I don't really find much to admire in that. That's what makes me unsure of what I would do in a similar situation: after the propaganda, how do you know what you really are fighting for?

Quote:
Isn't slinging a primitive form of shooting?

Yes it is. But I'm not slinging at you now am I? <g> I have no problems shooting something I'm going to eat or just shooting for practice.

Oh, and if you'd like, just ask and I'll change the signiature if it bothers you.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 9:27am

Shooting communists: good (in a way).  Siding with fascists: bad.
  Unfortunately, the closest we have so far come to snow is a few sleet-filled rain storms and so very cold, dry days.  It's quite annoying.  Anyways, happy winter slinging Bored-Lyron, but I can't want 'til spring.

IP Logged

Bored_Lyron
Novicius

Slings and stones may
break my bones...

Jyväskylä, Finland
Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 9:47am

Quote:
Unfortunately, the closest we have so far come to snow is a few sleet-filled rain storms and so very cold, dry days.  It's quite annoying.  Anyways, happy winter slinging Bored-Lyron, but I can't want 'til spring.

Ah, the famous english weather. I'm waiting for the spring too, as things will get much easier then, but at least I can get some practice while waiting. The weather here has been rather strange all winter, the temperature has gone below -20C only a few times and has mostly been around 0 - -5C. Normally it should be around -20C for most of the coldest months with a few days of -30C thrown in for a good measure. This doesn't really feel like a winter at all.

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #7 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 2:26pm

Ice is a little light but it will do in a pinch! I was visiting my brother out west. He had 2 feet of snow on his house roof and 5 feet stacked up on both sides of his driveway. I slung a few snowballs but my hands got cold before I was ready to stop.

David T

Quite the contrary Terry.  Matthew 23: 32--46

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 2:59pm

what is your avrage temp at summer time english?

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #9 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 5:29pm

Tervetuola! Wlecome Bored_Lyron!  

Our Polish winter is also vrey odd  this year. There was only a few days when snow was staying on the ground, and a little bit of the sun.  A few days ago we have strong frosts, -20-30C in nights, without snow. Now there is typically english weather, wet, windy and gloomily Sad So it isn't a good time for slinging at all.

I like to sling snow-balls very much. It can be a great fun, but only when snow is wet. Otherwise, it is very difficult or impossible to make good snow-ball. No matter how hard you work on them, anyway, almost every time, they fall to pieces just before release. Fresh, "warm" or melting snow seem to be the best. Then snow-balls can be made very quickly, are solid and heavy enough, besides the hands don't feel cold. On a snowfight, I would only use fresh and light snow. Otherwise it would be a dangerous play.

Snow-balls are pretty good ammo for short range accuracy practices. When target is 20-30 m away, they work quite exactly. It is nice to see when they hit a wall, tree or something like that. Well, there is a problem with making snow-balls with loose snow. Then a good idea is to moisten snow a little bit in the hands with water. Last winter I was producing hard and heavy snow-balls by moistening them, and next letting them to freeze up outdoor. The balls could reach over 100 m rages.

This winter I also experimented with ice-balls frozen inside splited tennis balls. I filled them with water by sinking in a basin. They keep water, because of the underpreasure inside, and can be used many times. If one have a few broken tennis-balls and strong frost outdoors or free place in a freezer, could make them productively.

Well, if the winter is snowy, I couldn't complain of the season.

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Monster
Descens

Calgary, Canada
Reply #10 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 6:55pm

I made myself a new short sling, went outside, first throw with a snowball I hit my daughter that I was aiming at.  It has got to be a good sling if it hits the target the first time ever used.  Good thing it was a soft throw with a soft snowball or I would of been in real trouble.

-Self inflicted wounds don't count for sympathy.&&

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 5:47am

I think it's global warming.  Normally we get one snow shower, which quickly turns to mud, but at least it's a little wintry.

Average summer time temperature... hmm... well, it's been very odd the past few years. We had a very hot summer in 2003 (people in France died due to the heat, and that is not normal.)  Last year it was pretty normal, lots of rain, overcast skies, a couple of reasonably hot days.  I wouldn't be surprised if the average temperature was around 20 C.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man, Kick)