Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Putting a new Spin on an old Glande (Read 1601 times)
N8VNYer
Novicius

If Iam in Range... So
are you....

Putting a new Spin on an old Glande
Feb 4th, 2005 at 8:53pm

has any one ever been able to put a spin on any egg shape glandes when shot.

I know that a spin will allow for tighter trajectory but am not sure that such a thing is possible

I have tried with mixed results

ne1wfeedback

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: Putting a new Spin on an old Glande
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2005 at 3:15am

Now _that's_ a question we don't get all that often! Using a typical sling, it is darn near impossible to not put spin on a glans. Putting the "right" spin is of course a different matter. Even using relatively slippery nylon sling pockets, I can put enough side-spin on a golf ball to deviate maybe 30m off line. This also has the unpleasant side effect of cutting my beautiful 260m cast down to a paltry 120 as the golf ball kamikaze dives into the mudflat...

The consensus seems to be that underarm biases toward topspin while over the head produces backspin. If you start playing with wide grips and enlogated ammo, you quickly discover that you can control the launch attitude - once you are proficient, point first spirals become easy...

There are a few pocket designs that are designed to release the gland with minimal interference. Ironically, these 0-spin slings are usually put forward in the quest for extreme range. The current word record for a sling-type (yes I'm being slightly reserved in endorsing the throw) throw was acheived using a dart that is "dropped" from a hook.

Techstuf has some pouch designs that look to me like they would impart minimal spin on a projectile. Maybe he'll pipe in with some observations (though spin is pretty hard to measure quantitatively without some pretty fancy gear)....

Welcome to slinging.org!

Matthias

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2005 at 5:56am

Did I hear a call for the 'Pie-eyed piper'?

Matthias is as observant, as he is conversant, with the language of the sling.....

Having reached harmony with nature's mathematical language early on in life,  I have never had much desire to learn man's method of 'reverse engineering'.  To my benefit, I have long ago acquiesced to the innate calculative ability of our inner programming....seeking not to understand it's process...but to instead profit from a harmonious blend of blind trust and shared intuition.  (So much easier and enjoyable....to my limited way of thinking)

Matthias is correct in his observation that a quantitative analysis of spin ratio to forward velocity is problematic....that is, assuming one is working toward an exercise which, to me, would simply be overkill for the hobby of slinging.  (of course, to each his own)

Often man will succumb to a process....learning to prefer it's comfortable confines over the more relevant solution/conclusion. 

Just as in nature,  creatures of all kinds will perform amazing and seeming contrary actions to what man believes possible......taking for granted what man can only dream to one day fully extrapolate, we humans do the same on a daily basis.

Embarrassed

Sorry, momentarily forgot which forum I was in.....

Suffice it to say that good old hands on trial and error can quickly reveal (by simple observation) the minimum spin that need be imparted to an aerodynamically neutral projectile to maintain stability.  (This can even be gauged generally by sound (or lack thereof) with some projectile shapes.) 

Any more is, technically, wasted energy.

The reason that darts outperform obloid ammo is simply that they can be released with a bare minimum of traded energy while maintaining their flight stability aerodynamically.

If one chooses to stay with obloid ammo for their distance efforts.....it is advantageous to trade as little forward momentum for gyroscopic stability as is allowable.

Of course, this does not begin to cover the anomalous (though repeatable) results one can achieve with certain ammo shapes coupled with robust spin rates which actually serve to enhance velocity and markedly reduce atmospheric friction.

Such systems rely upon biaxial spin characteristics and 'virtual vortex' effects to achieve these amazing results. 

(Larry Bray may be able to provide attestation to such principle)

For those who wish to properly investigate this and many other natural phenomena......I cannot say enough about Callum Coates' book:  Living energies, written about the life and research of Victor Schauberger, the Austrian naturalist.

Or google Frank Germano.

Smiley

P.S.  Matthias,  you should know by now to avoid using any trigger phrases such as ...."pipe up"  "pipe in",  in my direction.....(you have certain 'empathic' abilities, it seems)  Wink (lol)

Now if you don't mind....(and have managed to put up with my 'meanderings' down to this point)...I do believe it is high time for me to...

"pipe down"  as it were.

8)

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2005 at 9:01am

It was once said, "To the making of books, there is no end."

I can only imagine what would have been said if Tech were around, "To the length of a Tech book, who can find it."  Grin It is a good weekly exercise in learning to read some of Tech's posts. Got to love it!

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2005 at 9:33am

Putting pretty "football spirals" on ellipsiod glandes is not hard to do, and almost comes naturally if you:

1/ Use a wide grip,

2/ Release with your palm forward,

3/ Use just a 1 or 2 turn spin,

4/ Use a sling with somewhat stiff cords,

5/ Use a sling that's not too long.

For cords, 1/8" or 3/16" braided nylon cord is fine.   For length, 33" does fine for me.

I made up some plaster-of-paris eggs, which I painted half red, half white to be able see the spin in practicing this trick.  I'll send you one if you want it.

An slim ellipsoid with a 3:1 ratio, launched point first will have much less than half the air drag of a same-weight sphere.  They fly like little rockets, and are really pretty to watch.

mgreenfield

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2005 at 10:33am

What do you guys mean by "wide grip"? I have seen it several times.

IP Logged

Thomas
Ex Member

Rocks?

Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2005 at 12:28pm

“Palm forward and wide grip” means the two cords are somehow separated at the back of hand. This also means pouch sideways to release direction and glandes, rebar, etc lined up for space travel. Good luck , I mean good practice!   

An excellent site devoted to ballistics with lots of  insight into the variables contributing to projectile stabilizing. A section devoted to “rifling” can be found in left margin of home page. A very good read, stick with it! You will get the lowdown on distribution of mass, and etc.

Google search-“AeroBallisticsOnline”

Thomas 

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #7 - Feb 5th, 2005 at 10:17pm

Thank you David, I resemble that remark.... Embarrassed

You tactfully left off the meat of that quote.....in it's entirety, one translation reads:

"To the making of many books there is no end, and much devotion to them is wearisome to the flesh"

I'm not in any danger of anyone expressing 'much devotion' to my 'books' anytime soon!   

Smiley

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)