Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
High speed low drag sling... (Read 1466 times)
Luke

Long range projectile
enthusiast

High speed low drag sling...
Feb 4th, 2005 at 10:36am

All your expertise is wanted!

So if we're striving for long range records here...what kind of material and design should I be looking at?...
I need some ideas here, please  Smiley Hopefully the materials aren't too exotic because Baghdad doesn't have a WalMart yet  Cheesy Thanks in advance!

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Re: High speed low drag sling...
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2005 at 2:38pm

Luke, ...keep up the fine work there!  Lots of chit-chat on the forum re what it takes to sling for distance.  A pretty good summary would be these:

1/ A long sling, 50" or longer from pocket center to release knot.

2/ A long-armed, full-body slinging style to put as much leverage and muscle as possible into the long sling.  Because of the long sling, you about have to use a horizontal spin.

3/ Dense ammo.  Lead balls or ellipsoids of just the right weight to work with the sling and slinging style.  2-4oz weight seems to be popular.

4/ Skinny sling strings to reduce air drag, but with some stiffness to give the right feel and not tangle.  "Spider Wire" has been mentioned, as has tennis-racquet string.

5/ Small sling pockets, again to reduce air drag.

...and that should do it.   mgreenfield

IP Logged

Luke

Long range projectile
enthusiast

Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2005 at 9:48pm

Anybody have practical experience with Spiderwire? What about line to pouch attachment? anything more efficient than my 3 holes punched thru the leather and strung, to create the pouched shape? if that makes any sense...  Wink

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2005 at 10:06pm

Go to "search" or to the "Members" list and pull up "Yurek" and read his posts. He can sling a quarter mile and has some pictures of some of his slings.

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2005 at 10:08pm

Luke
I always use natural materials for my slings, i.e. Sisal and leather. Whenever I made slings out of nylon they just didn't have the cast as natural materials. I guess it's like wearing cotton instead of polyester(I was a teenager in the 70's!).

I grew up near Fort Campbell, KY. Home of the 101st Airborne. Huey and Blackhawks were my close companions!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2005 at 8:28pm

luke on using spiderwire,I have used it fishing for the last ten years. The knot streagth sucks if you tie it to any thing use superglue to seal the knots also if the knot moves where it attaches to the sling it will cut though the leather better put in some grommets

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2005 at 2:09am

Here are two pics of Yurek's sling:

There have been a few posts on low drag slings.  You'll probably have to poke around the forum.  Do a search for spiderwire (make sure you set "Max Age since last post" to 999 or something big).

Chris

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris, vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man)