Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Best Materials for the Best sling (Read 5417 times)
Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Re: Best Materials for the Best sling
Reply #15 - Jan 27th, 2005 at 11:52am

I once made a sling out of a sock and two shoestrings.

IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #16 - Jan 27th, 2005 at 12:27pm

boot leather and parachute chord have been my mainstay. Remarkably durable and cheap. I go to the second hand stores and get old boots for a couple bucks. I can make 3 or 4 per boot and the leather is tough as nails.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #17 - Jan 27th, 2005 at 12:38pm

I use make the pouch out of hardware cloth and the lines out of 100# mono fishing line

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #18 - Jan 27th, 2005 at 2:03pm

My first sling was made by my father from one of his old work boots.....it lasted for a good six months....We lived a couple miles into the country near the small town of Emmett, Idaho.  We lived under a beautiful natural abutment called Squaw Butte.  A fairly dormant railroad ran just north of our property and we had a gorgeous reservoir just a few miles up the road. 

I became addicted to slinging mainly because of the target rich environment and the surreal experience of whipping a 'sizzling meteor' further than the eye could see....in any direction I chose.  A pleasurable way to 'take command of all I surveyed'....and share my two favorite pastimes,  enjoying nature's sweet serenity, and interrupting that serenity with a little target practice!   I became fairly consistent at 'sparking the tracks' in the evening from about 80yrds and thump the railcars that came by every so often.  I loved to bike up to the reservoir and let'em fly, and to this day I am still certain I heard impact once or twice in the trees on the other side. Those WERE the days....

One of my more memorable moments with the sling came when I hit, and stopped, a neighboring farmer's cow station windmill......had to be at least a 200yrd'er! It was my nemesis, my 'white whale' for the better part of whole damn year!   My guilt (what little there was at the time) (mostly a sweet victory sensation) was mostly expunged upon realizing it was an easy fix and he had it going the next day.  I had made sooo many close calls on that thing and it was as if the wind conspired not only to support that pumping station in keeping the cows from thirst, but to prevent my shots from sailing true to the mark!  It was an eerily calm day come to think of it, that I met with success.....the cows' old friend was caught napping it seemed!

In retrospect,  I realize that farmer must've known it was me who peppered his field with rocks, bent a couple blades on the windmill that powered the water pump,  occasionally soured his cows' milk production.......and corrupted his teenage daughter.  (Ok, just wistful thinking on that last one)  Although we did sometimes walk the railroad tracks together which divided our land and she was half the reason my right arm came to outweigh my left and cause a sometimes painful transverse curvature of my upper spine. 

Yep,  those WERE the days.

8)

P.S.  Oh yeah,  I'm glad I proofread this one.....before any of you young pups try and defile my pristine experiences....my disproportion was caused by the SLING, Okay?!!!

P.P.S.  Oh, and.....yeah,  in essence,  boot tongues are an EXCELLENT sling pocket material!

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

ian

Reply #19 - Jan 27th, 2005 at 4:54pm

lol me too Douglas

IP Logged

markus
Tiro

Logan, Utah
Reply #20 - Jan 27th, 2005 at 7:15pm

Leather slings aren't necessarily the most expensive.

Most of the slings we made growing up cost less than a dollar.  We'd get scrap leather for free from a leather store in our town that made gloves and stuff.  Most of the pieces we got were big enough to get a decent sized pouch.  We used nylon cord (that's all we had to buy) and that was it.

My currently sling is moose hide.  It's pretty thick and durable.  Still using the nylon cord.  That's how my family has made slings for the last 40 years.

But Ammon stood forth and began to cast stones at them with his sling; yea, with mighty power he did sling stones amongst them; and thus he slew a certain number of them insomuch that they began to be astonished at his power - Alma 17:36

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #21 - Jan 27th, 2005 at 7:28pm

40 years? wow me and my little brothers are the only slingers in are family that we know of. We desended from the german tribes so we might of had a slinger in our family. but more then likely a serf or farmer. or the equivelent of a serf or farmer.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #22 - Jan 28th, 2005 at 1:13am

Where do you get the moose hide for the pouch? Is it more durable than normal leather?

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Maillemann
Tiro

Reply #23 - Jan 28th, 2005 at 12:13pm

The best material is what you have available, and the best sling is the one you have with you.

Much like a camera, it can be the best in the world, but if it's not with you when you want to take a shot, it's quite useless.

-Maillemann

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #24 - Jan 28th, 2005 at 12:35pm

Well spoken.....thanks for 'delivering' that information, Maillemann.

Welcome to the forum

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

markus
Tiro

Logan, Utah
Reply #25 - Jan 28th, 2005 at 1:28pm

I got the Moosehide from my uncle who lives close by.  Actually, he and my other uncle, my dad's two little brothers, live right next to each other and both are slingers. 

My uncle went and bought a big moosehide for around $65.  He figured he could make around 75 sling pouches from it.  I think I got it from a tannery in Salt Lake City (we live in Logan, Utah).

I think it's more durable than deer or elk.  It's pretty thick, almost 1/4".

All of my family that sling, uncles, brothers, sisters, cousins, and my dad,  use the method described in the article I wrote for the site.  For lack of a better name, I called it the Weaver style.  Not because we made it up, but because that's how all of us throw it.  Check out the videos.

But Ammon stood forth and began to cast stones at them with his sling; yea, with mighty power he did sling stones amongst them; and thus he slew a certain number of them insomuch that they began to be astonished at his power - Alma 17:36

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #26 - Jan 28th, 2005 at 2:23pm

I just use either seatbelt or nylon webbing from the climbing sore. Either way I can get ten times more than i need for less than a buck. Plus they are indestructable(more or less)

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #27 - Feb 1st, 2005 at 11:21pm

People interested in making slings should definitely take a walk through the articles section.  Lots of great resources there.

Chris

IP Logged

Terry

Reply #28 - Feb 3rd, 2005 at 6:32pm

sorry to but in but the thinner the string the bigger pain in the ass it is to reload the sling. the thinner diameter string twists and tangles during your wind up causing you to have to untwist the strings before you sling another stone or whatever ammo

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #29 - Feb 3rd, 2005 at 11:03pm

I have been know to be caught fishing on some desolate  beach or river bank  with out a sling. this has inspired many of a sling from bits of string and assorted things. dirty sock pouches , plastic grocery bag slings,
I actuly kept one plastic grocery bag sling for years. the pouch was woven out of twisted bags.the strings were were twisted braided bag's. another sling was made from a old glove and twisted video tape. Sadly those day's are gone I always have a sling tucked in either a tackle box or coat pocket or glove box .

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, Rat Man, Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker)