Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Best Materials for the Best sling (Read 5509 times)
Alan

Legendary (Sort of) Slinger

USA
Best Materials for the Best sling
Jan 24th, 2005 at 7:56pm

Hi everyone.  I have decided to make a new sling, and I was just wondering:
What is the best type of sling?
(braided, a simple leather pouch w/ strings, sewn, etc..)
And what are the best materials?
By best I mean best performance, but it would be cool if it looked neat too  Grin
thankyou

51!/\/93|2 4/\/|) _||_|9913|2
WWW bobjoey2003 bobjoey2003  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Re: Best Materials for the Best sling
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2005 at 9:37pm

I assume "best performance" means distance in this case.  In my collection of slings, in terms of power, nothing comes close to the kelvar ones I have made:

http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11011010...

I think they look cool as ice. 8)

I find braided slings in general are too thick and heavy for serious distance, but they have better feel and may be more accurate.  Also, thicker cords tends to tangle less often.  Longer slings have more power but I find shorter slings easier to control.  Short slings has the advantage of a faster wind up too.  So it is really a trade off.......

IP Logged

Alan

USA
Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2005 at 11:10pm

What are your braided slings made out of tint? They're really cool  Grin  The only place i know to get Kevlar is ordering off my favorite juggling stores... lol

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2005 at 11:28pm

The colourful ones are braided with nylon and the primitive looking ones are braded with hemp.

You can get Kevlar at a juggling store?

The ones I got is a tennis string.

IP Logged

Alan

USA
Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2005 at 11:41pm

Kevlar is used in juggling for torches, poi (things that you spin around), fire eating, and any other fun activity you can think of.  My mom won't let me use fire  Wink Anywho, is the nylon string just the stuff you can buy @ your local home depot?

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2005 at 6:10am

I don't know  ???.  I didn't buy them. Tongue

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2005 at 5:13pm

Quote:
is the nylon string just the stuff you can buy @ your local home depot?

Home Depot (or other hardware stores) will have white, yellow, or orange nylon string -- Jute and cotton twine, too.  Hobby shops (Hobby Lobby, Michael's, etc.) will have nylon string in a wider variety of colors.

IP Logged

Alan

USA
Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2005 at 6:23pm

yeah, i looked around my house and found some 'masons line' and i'm making a simple braided out of that, but is nylon the best for making one?

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #8 - Jan 25th, 2005 at 6:45pm

Nylon is a great sling cord material!   This is what I have used for years now and it holds up great for all around use:

I'm sure I've got more than 1500ft. left on that spool! The above cord is 200lb. test, which of course, is plenty strong at 1/16" in diameter, and considering that two of them share the load!  If one is going to go smaller in diameter than this....might as well go all the way and get the spectra/kevlar line which, for the purposes of extreme speed or distance exercise, can be of extremely small diameter, as in just a few 1000's of an inch!

Wink

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

A_C

New York
Reply #9 - Jan 25th, 2005 at 9:38pm

I'm fairly new to slinging, but I made my sling by buying a pair of bootlaces and tieing the ends of the laces to the lower areas of the other lace. The pouch doesn't have a real bottom, and it's very thin, but it's flexible, durable, and you can adjust the pouch size. I've slung small rocks, baseballs, softballs, tennis balls, golf balls, and even tried a basketball though it didn't really go very far.   Roll Eyes Well anyway, later instead of just keeping it like that when I saw how torn up it was getting when I slung jagged rocks, which are what I have the most access too, I sewed the strings to a peice of leather and I have a very stable sling, that's slightly longer than my armspan, and can sling projectiles comfortably that are about the size of golfballs or smaller.

It's not nearly as cool as slings made using nicely colored fabrics, and it's thin, which results in some tangling, and can only sling pretty small loads, but it's economic, reliable, and adaptible.

IP Logged

Alan

USA
Reply #10 - Jan 25th, 2005 at 11:04pm

It seems the most basic sling is a leather pouch with some cord tied to each end.  Fast to make (unlike braided) but more expensive... But which one works better ???

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #11 - Jan 25th, 2005 at 11:41pm

Unfortunately, there is no "better".  It is like comparing a road bike and a mountian bike, each has it's advantages.  I find it easier to make the leather pouch with cords.  That's what I started with.  Eventually, you'd want to try everything and find out for yourself which ones are "better" for you.

IP Logged

Alan

USA
Reply #12 - Jan 25th, 2005 at 11:45pm

dude.... mountain bikes p\/\//\/ road bikes.... lol

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #13 - Jan 26th, 2005 at 12:25am

This might just be my opinion but just make do with whatever you have. It's fun to experement with new materials and designs but for me the gain in distance from using superthin lines and such isn't that big a deal. For me it's like adding another 25 metres. So instead of 275 it's like a little more that 300 metres. And if you can hit something at that distance then I am super impressed. (I sometimes hit seagulls but I aim at a big pack of them)

IP Logged

Alan

USA
Reply #14 - Jan 26th, 2005 at 8:53pm

It seems leather is the universal material for the pouch... *besides braided slings* , anyone use any other material?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Kick, vetryan15, Rat Man)