Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2005 at 7:23am

« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2005 at 6:54am by roydon »  
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Re: wikingsling
Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2005 at 9:52am

Looks very tough & serviceable, ....& Viking-like.  How long is it from pocket center to finger-loop center??  How well does it work??  Do the slots in the pocket help make a nice cradle for the stones??   How big are the best stones to use with this sling??  mgreenfield

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2005 at 2:24pm

I'm curious:  Why is one cord braided and the other is just a loose leather thong?
  It looks great, by the way.  Looks like quite a big pouch, but I bet it works well enough.

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2005 at 2:43pm

The link doesn't load up, but perhaps that's just me.

Is your sling based on a historical example? The York Archaelogical Trust (YAT) has a new book about leather finds in an Anglo-Scandinavian context in York, England. They feature many "Viking" slings.

http://www.yorkarchaeology.co.uk/booksale.htm#craft

IP Logged

roydon
Novicius

Reply #6 - Jan 12th, 2005 at 7:31am

hey there

okay, it took me more than 2 hours to get the picture rigth. so I'm not surprised the link doesn't load up Angry

The sling came to me, though a german, at a wiking fair, in Århus, denmark, I just tried a few times, and then soon after made this one. You guys are surely more into slinging than me, I'm not so very scientyfic. I've had it for 15 years, but not until now have I really wanted to practice. I'm sure the mesurements could be better

I can hit an oilbucket from app. 20 meters one time out of 20 throws. So I still have a long way to go. The stones must be fairly large, a good stone is not so easy to come by, but this site has given me some good hints on what to look for.

I can juggle quite well though. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Tongue ???

kh
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2005 at 10:51am by roydon »  
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #7 - Jan 19th, 2005 at 11:38pm

Very cool sling.

Loads ok for me.  I think people might have been having problems because it's actually a .jpg file but you named it .gif.  I've hosted a correctly named copy here.  Hopefully that resolves it for everyone. 

Chris

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #8 - Jan 23rd, 2005 at 11:52am

so how did you make it? Oh it was given too you. hmm. im going to try and make one. Is it thicker leather or softer more flexabel kind?

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

roydon
Novicius

Reply #9 - Feb 7th, 2005 at 6:51am

The leather is soft. And the loop goes around the wrist. Holding the straigth piece( wraped with tread) between your fingers. The other end of the sling is a little to fine, it should be broader, for better grib.

Good luck with it, it really pleases me to hear you will try it out.  Cheesy Cheesy
please let me know if you ever actually get it done Grin

by the way did I mention that www.slinging.org is a really cool site 8)

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #10 - Feb 7th, 2005 at 6:55pm

i have made the sling. Its pretty cool. I made it alot too big and as soon as i get more leather im going to make a smaller one. right now its my big sling i put these 40 inch long leather cord's on it and it shoots pretty well but not veryy accurate.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker)