Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
staff sling (Read 1683 times)
dov
Novicius

staff sling
Dec 31st, 2004 at 6:28pm

wel I just got back from trying the staff sling I made. I was getig about 75 yards and about the same with the sling off the staff throwing underhand (I have never been able to get the hang of that figure eight throwing that looks so cool.)  Although my accuracy seemed a little bit better with the staff sling, not so much as hitting where I wanted but throwing straight downrange with little deviation left or right. I was throwing plain tennis balls, not weighted. The staff is six feet long and the cords are about 2 feet long. The pocket is about 4 inches long, 3 inches wide all leather.

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Re: staff sling
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2004 at 7:57pm

Hang in there on the figure-8 (nwmanitou) overhand style.  I'm old, slow, & terminally uncoordinated, but one day it just came, ....which was a much-needed upper.

On the other hand, my young, quick, very coordinated 11-year old grandson figured it out in about 2 minutes, and was soon pitching almost as far as me, ....which was a real downer.

mgreenfield

IP Logged

A_C

New York
Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2004 at 8:52pm

How do staff slings work? I've seen the videos on the site about them, but I really couldn't see the mechanics.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2004 at 10:48pm

Dov,

I find that tennis balls are not accrate for slinging.  They are too light and has too much air-resistance.  They also create a lot of friction with the pocket so a lot of energy is lost.

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2005 at 4:12pm

Quote:
...The staff is six feet long and the cords are about 2 feet long...

dov,

Maybe it is a good idea to try a shorter staff with a longer sling, for example, 5/3 or 4/3 feet (staff/sling) or something like that?

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Morphy)