Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Indirect fire (Read 4321 times)
Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: Indirect fire
Reply #15 - Feb 2nd, 2005 at 2:04pm

Hey Lobohunter, do us a huge favour and run a few tests? If you can measure/decently estimate your throws, try to get a hold of some "standard" ammo, and report back your ranges. The test glandes don't have to be good ones, in fact it is better if they cover a range of efficiencies. What is important is that they are definable in terms of weight, shape, size and surface finish. Grab a bucketful of golfballs, a few tennis balls and anything else ou can think of and we'll draw up a Lobo-standard table to test the sim against.

Anyone else want to play? I'm pretty short on empirical data / long on theory and anecdote. Different results from people with different styles/strengths would be very useful (and hasten the evetual release of SlingSim 1.0 Wink)

Matthias

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #16 - Feb 2nd, 2005 at 8:05pm

sounds like fun.

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #17 - Feb 2nd, 2005 at 8:16pm

I am not sure what data is needed here.... ???

Do you want us to throw with standard ammo, such as tennis balls, squash balls and golf balls, using different styles and record the distances?

If that is the case, you'll hear from me soon.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #18 - Feb 2nd, 2005 at 9:11pm

Quote:
Do you want us to throw with standard ammo, such as tennis balls, squash balls and golf balls, using different styles and record the distances?

Yes!

Quote:
If that is the case, you'll hear from me soon.

Great! As long as you are even a bit systematic about it, the numbers will be meaningful. I'm personally most interested in maximum range for a given projectile regardless of style, but there are a lot of subtle interelated things going on that we can figure out given enough material to work with. The more slingers participate the better, as one of the biggest variables is the person throwing the projectile.

Matthias

IP Logged

Luke

Long range projectile
enthusiast

Reply #19 - Feb 3rd, 2005 at 7:21am

Quote:
I've been doing highschool physics and found out that when something is thrown straight up, when it comes back down to the place which it was thrown from it has the exact same speed as when it was thrown exe if you shot a bullet straight up at 1000 ft per sec., it would come back down and hit you at the same speed, like you had been hit at point blank range.  

Whaaaat??? Explain this to me please???

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #20 - Feb 3rd, 2005 at 9:23am

Yep, it's true if you're in a vacuum.  As the shot goes straight up, it loses (on earth) velocity at the rate of 32ft/sec/sec until it stops and begins falling.  Then it picks up velocity at the rate of 32ft/sec/sec.  It falls the same distance it went up (duh!), so the velocity at impact is the same as the initial muzzle velocity.

Again, all this assumes a vacuum.  In air, the numbers will change, but I suspect with a little piece of lead, the impact velocity is still a big portion of the initial muzzle velocity.

mgreenfield

IP Logged

Luke

Long range projectile
enthusiast

Reply #21 - Feb 3rd, 2005 at 1:00pm

Ooooh in a vacuum....I knew I was missing something... Thanks  Wink

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #22 - Feb 7th, 2005 at 11:44am

Matthias;
Here is my week end report of distances for various ammo's and weight's
heres what I took with me to the abandoned air field
6 foos balls weight about 1.5 ounces or 42.5 grams
6 egg shaped stones all selected for their weight of
3 ounces or 85 grams
6 clay glands 3 ounces or 85 grams
6 weighted golf balls 4 ounces each or 162.50 grams
6 lead egg sinkers 6 ounces or 170 grams
I was totally surprised by what gave me the most distance
these were all cast under hand. my over hand style produce much less distance
the following distances were gained by casting all ammo
out in one group, say the foo's balls then pace out to them and then back averaging the two pace counts then converting the pace count to yards. then averaging all 6 for each group
foo's balls 96.42 yards or 88.17 meters
stones 193.9 yards or 177.30 meters
clay 162.5 yd. or 148.59 meters
weighted golf balls 214.5 yards or 196 meters
egg sinkers 216 yards or 198.15 meters
I did not suspect that the six out egg sinkers would go the furthest
next time I am going to try small egg sinkers and see if i can get that distance up.
one more note most of my shot's landed in a ten foot radius per group. that kinda impressed me.
these were just some different ammo i had laying around except four the weighted golf ball they were weighted heavier  I altered the weight before heading out
oh one last thing  my pace count is converted by paces multiplied length of pace (39 inches)
sum divided by standard (36 inches) to get yards

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Chris, Kick, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)