Send Topic Print
Pouch sling (Read 1206 times)
Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Pouch sling
Dec 2nd, 2004 at 6:51pm

I have made several slings with pouches. like cups i should say. umm little bowls and not the normal folded leather.

anyway i have made a few including a braided sling with the netting for the poucch. I have spent a long time trying to make it. These pouch slings havent been working for me. they dont release the rock right and i cant throw as far with them. I wanted to make the braided sling my maine carry sling but it does not work good enough. maybe there is a trick?

I was throwing rocks too big to fit in the pouch. This negates the usefull ness of the pouch all together. like i say maybe there is a trick to these pouch slings?
any thing you could tell me would help.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Re: Pouch sling
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 8:14pm

I think you want just enough pocket to hold your ammo reliably, and absolutely no more.  More pocket adds air drag, and may impede the ammo as it is launched.

In fact, part of the range improvement attained by slingsters using finer/lighter cords, may be that these cords steal less energy as they permit the pocket to open upon launch.  This could be especially true when longer slings are used.

I'd be interested in knollslinger's comments on this "permitting the pocket to open" idea.

mgreenfield

IP Logged

KnollSlinger

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger

Chandler, Arizona, USA
Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2004 at 1:41am

Quote:
I think you want just enough pocket to hold your ammo reliably, and absolutely no more.  More pocket adds air drag, and may impede the ammo as it is launched.

In fact, part of the range improvement attained by slingsters using finer/lighter cords, may be that these cords steal less energy as they permit the pocket to open upon launch.  This could be especially true when longer slings are used.

I'd be interested in knollslinger's comments on this "permitting the pocket to open" idea.

mgreenfield

I wish I had some high speed photos of just how the stone leaves my pocket.  I can only say that sometimes it spins a lot (large rocks esp) and some don't SEEM to.

I don't know.  Anybody know how to get the interest of a highspeed photographer?  Perhaps send letter to ASU?

Thanks!

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger&&Who can beat me?

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #3 - Dec 4th, 2004 at 11:21am

mgreenfield has it right. You definitely don't wan't more width than is required to hold the stone. In my net patterns, the stone is more or less supported by the braided "split pouch" than forms the frame. The net keeps them from spreading. With stiffer twines, the whole pouch works just like a piece of leather. The last thing you want is to engulf the stone. Take a look at the size of the pouch relative to a gb:

A shallow pouch does help to secure the glans. Take a look at some of Jurek's designs. I'd guess not more than 1:5?

Matthias

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #4 - Dec 8th, 2004 at 3:56pm

thanks guys this helps. My first pouch only went up to about half the rock. i think i can make it a little smaller.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Rat Man, Kick)