Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Questions about slings (Read 2112 times)
Ceeden
Novicius

Questions about slings
Dec 2nd, 2004 at 2:53am

I have several questions I hope someone knowledgeable can help me with.

1) Are there any other types of hand operated slings apart from the Funda, Fustibalus and Cestrosphendone (non siege / war engine)?

2) Has anyone heard of a Japanese sling called a Zumbai? In the book "A Glossary of the Construction, Decoration and Use of Arms and Armor in All Countries...", the author Stone mentions that the Zumbai is a Japanese sling and that's it. A search of the internet has produced zero results.

3) Are there any other names for slings apart from Funda? What was the Greek name for sling?

4) I have read that the Fustibalus was used during medieval times (I know it was used in the ancient world - Greek / Roman times). Does anyone know if it was actually called Fustibalus in medieval times or was it known by another name? 

5) What was the throwing rate of the Funda, Fustibalus and Cestrosphendon compared to the firing rate of the Crossbow (Arbalest) and Bow? Obviously this differs based on the abilities of individuals, the length of the sling / staff and the weight / shape of the missile, so I'm looking for a generalised answer / consensus.

6) How far could a missile be thrown using the Funda, Fustibalus and Cestrosphendon and do the distances compare favourably to the Crossbow (Arbalest) and Bow?

Thanks for reading.

Danny
Sydney Australia

IP Logged

britishslinger

slings the handheld arlilery

Re: Questions about slings
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 4:12am

i find my staff sling has less range but a sling of a longer length will lob a 5-6 oz rock a very long way and they are easly more powerful than most small caliber guns iv been hit by a 12 bore at about 150 yards and it stung a little i wouldnt like to think of being hit at such a 'short' range for a sling i would sooner be shot at 50 yards by a 12 bore than a sling

listen to old people

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 10:29am

I thought there were no Japanese slings, but I'll have to check with my source soon as she gets home from work...  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 11:48pm

1) I think you covered all three types. 

2) I've never heard of it.  We've talked about the interesting absence of the sling in japan and China.  This is a new name to me.   Maybe you are on to something...

3) There are a number of names.  We made a list a while back:

http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=10682423...

4) Fustibalus is the latin name.  It's called a staff sling in more modern times.  I'm sure there are dozens of names considering it was used quite extensively around the world. 

5) From what I've read, slingers could outfire and outrange bowmen in classical times. 

6) Yurek, here on the forum, is approaching 1500 feet.   it's not unreasonable to think a seasoned slinger could significantly out-range this.  Compared to bows of the time, slings could out-range them handily.  Xenophon noted that Greek slingers could out-range Persian bowmen by "no less than twice as far" (Korfmann), which were considered the premier archers of their time.  (this was around 400 B.C.) 

Chris

IP Logged

DuckofDeath

Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2004 at 12:19am

The Greek name was sphendone.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2004 at 11:40pm

Sphendone?  New to me.  Do you know of any written source that uses this word in reference to a sling?  Looking up "sphendone" on google doesn't anything to suggest a sling connection.

Chris

IP Logged

Ceeden
Novicius

Reply #6 - Dec 8th, 2004 at 2:25am

Chris

In the book The Complete Encyclopedia of Arms and Weapons Edited by Leonid Tarassuk & Claude Blair, under the entry Funda it has (Greek sfendone).

Did anyone find out any information about the Zumbai?

Danny

IP Logged

markus
Tiro

Logan, Utah
Reply #7 - Dec 8th, 2004 at 1:54pm

Danny,

I speak Japanese, and have several dictionaries.  I'll try to find out about zumbai (it might also be spelled zunbai).

I also have a good friend in Japan that I keep in touch with.  I'll ask him if he knows what it is.

But Ammon stood forth and began to cast stones at them with his sling; yea, with mighty power he did sling stones amongst them; and thus he slew a certain number of them insomuch that they began to be astonished at his power - Alma 17:36

IP Logged

DuckofDeath

Reply #8 - Dec 9th, 2004 at 12:26am

Here's an ancient Greek lexical link:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/enggreek?lang=greek

Enter "sling" in "Look for," then click on "sphendone" when it comes up.

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #9 - Dec 9th, 2004 at 11:53am

No, zumbai or zunbai doesn't ring a bell. It may be an Okinawan oddity...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Kick, vetryan15)