Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The under to over toss. (Read 3244 times)
Mike_R
Funditor

The under to over toss.
Dec 1st, 2004 at 7:18pm

Hey, today I was out working on my slinging. I decided to try some different styles from what I ussually do.

I ussually toss one of two ways. I underhand straight up and down, then step forward into the throw like the windmill pitch in softball. Or, I underhand at a 45 and step into the throw snapping my hip. Today I tried standing facing away from the target. Then I would start underhanded, and then spin around, I kinda spin and switch from under to a big jumping overhand.

Holy smoke. They were really flying out of there. My buddy said it looks kinda like a windup discus throw. The rocks were easily averaging 20 meters farther than usual. Some much more than that. What really amazed me was how high the arc was on these throws. With football shaped rockes they were I estimate 300 feet high at he apex. And when they came down, they came down nose first and really accelerated. They were cutting into the water like a bullet. I fired at two seagulls  about 200 meters out and hit one. It was totally smoked. It looked like a meteor had hit it or I had shot it with a 12 gauge slug.

Anyone else sling like this?
I have a digital camera so I could shoot a video of it.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Re: The under to over toss.
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2004 at 8:57pm

I have been throwing that way too!  It is like an overhand throw with a underhand wind-up that faces the opposite way, right?

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2004 at 11:18pm

Yes, that is exactly what it is. Only your description was much clearer than mine.

What do you think of it. I think it rocks. My aim is even pretty good. I think that is because with slinging the aim is in the timing of the release and at whick angle to let it go. All the time I spent aiming seems to work with the style too. I just look back over my shoulder at my target and let it rip.

IP Logged

MammotHunter

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2004 at 11:27pm

This sounds like a fantastic way of throwing, but I would have to see a visual of it to understand it. My usual method is simply underhand accompanied by a quick forward step, sort of like the last movement in a softball pitch, with no windup or anything. Just get the stone out of the sling as fast and as far as you can (and yeah, as high as you can is pretty cool too).

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2004 at 11:50pm

Its easy, face away from the target, I think the fact that you underhand like I do (softball style I call it) will make it easy for you to nail it in no time flat. Then facing away look back towards the target, start the underhand spin, then when you have that feeling of weight on the sling pivot and pull up and over. Release when you are turned around. I kinda jump into it, at the release it is kinda like a big overhand grenade toss.

Yah, height rocks. The ones I was slinging today were coming down super hard. The one that led to the untimely demise of a seagull was imbedded in the gravel beach and all cracked.

IP Logged

KnollSlinger

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger

Chandler, Arizona, USA
Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 12:34am

OK now.. you are getting warm here guys!

I start facing target, but make the complete turn away, then to target.  I turn in counter clock wise motion, to add torque and distance (as in force times distance) to my effort.

I do not know if I am doing this, but it sounds like you are starting to throw like me!  I will have to think about it the next time I throw.

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger&&Who can beat me?

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 1:22am

I think Knollslinger's style is more horizontal than the one we are talking about.  The one we do is similar to nwmanitou's overhand (or tennis serve) style except we have a longer wind-up and shoulder turn.  The release is the same but before that the shoulders are turned 180 degrees away from the target and we let the sling swing around like a underhand throw.

I find this style have more power than the tennis serve style because there is more momentum build up before the release.  It takes more time between shots though.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #7 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 1:24am

P.S.  Mamothhunter, you've been on the forum a while.  Howcome you haven't join as a member? ???

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #8 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 8:25am

you know mates, it's the weirdest bloody thing, i swear! I tried joining this forum several times in the past few months since i first posted, and there was some problem with the computer or whatever ( I don't think it was the site,) that I was never able to get the forum to recognise my application for membership, so I sort of accepted that as a fact and stayed a guest. I tried it just now and HUZZAH! it works! MammotHunter is now a full member! Let us celebrate!

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 11:36am

Yay

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #10 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 5:30pm

So welcome MammotHunter Smiley

Mike, your new technique seems to be similar to one I use. I also start some range shots facing away. Somewhere on the forum there is a picture showin that position. Of course, if I imagine your technique in a good way.

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #11 - Dec 3rd, 2004 at 8:48pm

Mike_R good job getting a seagull.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

KnollSlinger

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger

Chandler, Arizona, USA
Reply #12 - Dec 4th, 2004 at 2:48am

It has been said my style is horizontal.. this is basically true, however, I do lob some high and far.. for this I do there from depart . Grin

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger&&Who can beat me?

IP Logged

britishslinger

slings the handheld arlilery

Reply #13 - Dec 4th, 2004 at 3:04am

i find that horizontal is good for range because underhand puts the spin all wrong and the stones drop out of the air

listen to old people

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #14 - Dec 4th, 2004 at 5:11am

Yeurk,

Is this the style you use to reach the 1500 feet distance?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, Chris, Morphy, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)