Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
My Distance (Read 3873 times)
Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: My Distance
Reply #15 - Dec 3rd, 2004 at 12:31pm

Hey no problem Ring_Thrower! I need a bit of impetus to finish the calculator...

Quote:
Mathias,
I just ordered a balistics chronograph which will tell me exact release velocites. I plan on setting up a proper backdrop and finding out exactly how fast I throw. I will write up the numbers in a week or so.

OH YES! That is what we've been waiting to hear! Looking forward to your results - once you get your measurement technique/setup dialed in I have a couple of tests for you to try Wink. I was working on a ballistic pendulum setup while I was "home" from the city last week but I ran out of time...

Douglas - yep, 208 or thereabouts

Yurek - I'm planning to do some more work in the next little while. The "beta" has some interface issues that need to be fixed. The curves I'm using right now are step-discontinuous fits to Achenbach's, which seem to work out ok. I'd like to upgrade to blended transitions mostly to make the results display a little prettier. I suppose a benefit of using discontinuous functions is that it makes it easier to see where the transitions occur... If you PM me an address I'd be happy for you to take a look over prog! It packs down to less than 20k so easy to email.

Matthias

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #16 - Dec 3rd, 2004 at 12:54pm

Quote:
Thanks for info! It was exactly what I was hoping to get by posting that message. I have a couple questions. I'm 6'1" with a long reach, what are some longer sling lengths to try? Also with the 2:1 model is that prediction based on the projectile always have correct orientatation, o instead of ()?

Not sure. I'm almost 6'3" and my most-used sling is 34". I have a couple of longer ones, including a dyneema 48" minimum-drag model but I think I'm pretty close to the my limits with the 34" (ie I don't see much if any improvement with longer slings). It seems like for short cords, speed is the limiting factor and strength becomes more important with long ones.

The 2:1 glans is point first. This is pretty easy to acheive with practise and "stiff" cords. The sim cheats a little bit in that it assumes that the projectile flies point first the whole trip. It should actually maintain that attitude at launch (40-45deg) which means that it is pretty much broadside at impact. I haven't been too worried about it since a) the biggest distance gains happen in the first half of the throw b) I'm also not including "gliding flight" which will extend the range a bit (even for tiny lead torpedos). Going to bigger ratios helps up to a point, but the asumptions get a little shakey. A 3:1 flying broadside has a lot more drag than a poorly thrown 2:1. I think it would be fair to say that starting with spheres will give the most consistent results.

Once you get your chrono you'll have to test a series of lengths. Then you'll need to test a range of projectile weights. Then you'll probably need to do the lengths again and iterate in on a combo most effective for you. Then you'll have to wait a couple of weeks to let your sore arm get back in shape...  Grin Then you'll have to repeat once your technique improves...

Can't wait!

Matthias

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #17 - Dec 5th, 2004 at 5:25pm

Matthias,

I have sent my email adress to your PM. I can't wait Smiley

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #18 - Dec 9th, 2004 at 4:31pm

Iīm looking forward to the "beta" version too. Itīll be great to have the final program working online in a section of the site, like the Gallery or the article section, and the same for the map of slingers, two great addition to the web  Cheesy

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Kick, Morphy, Chris, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man)