Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Crosstraining for slingers. (Read 3337 times)
Mike_R
Funditor

Crosstraining for slingers.
Nov 28th, 2004 at 1:43pm

Anybody have any good ideas about this? I ussually sling heavier rocks to build slinging muscle but this bothers my elbow like tennis elbow.
I don't really work out but I do exercice. I kayak twice a week and try to get about 25km in per trip (20 in the winter like now) but after that much paddling and a solid hour of slinging my elbow hurts. If I really over do it then it hurts a little the next day too. I also do pushups and crunches everyday and walk about 10km three times a week.

Is there any kind of weight training that helps?

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Re: Crosstraining for slingers.
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 4:32pm

Maybe rotational/crunch lifting, where you rotate the weight into the crutch of your wrist/elbow, then upwards, and hold it. I don't know though, this is mostly used just to build up the size of arms. Perhaps the good ole Serphentine breathing way of lifting weights would work.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

KnollSlinger

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger

Chandler, Arizona, USA
Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 9:13pm

Discus throw
Hammer throw
Put barbell on sholders, behind head.  Sit on bench.  Rotate back and forth as far and as quickly as posible about 35 times, back and forth.  Use 40LB total weight.
Tai Chi
Hiking with 75lbs of rocks in back pack, stopping to sling every so often.(remove pack to sling), stopping to select new rocks..INhale, L,R,L,R, exhale, L,R,L,R,inhale..
inhale thru nose, exhale thru mouth keeping tounge to roof of mouth.

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger&&Who can beat me?

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 11:13pm

I am a competitive tennis player and may be because of that I have never had any pain in my arm from slinging.

I also pratice Iaido.

IP Logged

DaveUK
Tiro

who will cast the first
stone?

UK, Cambridge
Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 7:51am

I do karate and aikido, both good for self defense but karate is great for strengthening your arms. Since i started i've really noticed the difference. I also used to do kendo which was very tough on the arms, used to wake up the next day with them feeling like jelly.
I make circles with some heavy weights, arms out straight start off with small circles then move on to larger aswell as other excercises with weights. I think this would be most helpfull.

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #5 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 8:11am

Yes, in trad. karate schools in Okinawa they often teach students weight training exercises with what are pretty much cart axels. Great martial art for building up the arms.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #6 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 8:52am

well i just take a brake. When my arm hurts from slinging i just take a brake for a day and the next day im fine. then when the pain becomes unbarable take a brake. What does not kill you can only make you stronger. except cancer.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #7 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 1:15pm

Thanks guys. I was involved in Okinawan karate for years so I know the kind of exercises you mean. I just didn't know that they worked the right parts of your arms. I always find it interesting when I start a new hobby which muscles it affects. I can benchpress over 300lbs but slinging a 6 oz rock gives me sore elbows and upper arm. Same with snowshoing, snowboarding, and kayaking. Each sport works a few little spots that are unique.

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #8 - Dec 1st, 2004 at 6:04am

Last year i got some elbow pain  with my long sling after rather few shoots, specially if i tried long distance/heavy ammo shooting. Now i sling with a short one to increase accuracy and i have no pain at all even throwing a lot more times full power and with heavy rocks too.

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #9 - Dec 1st, 2004 at 11:05am

Look into doing forearm exercises, such as wrist curls. I don't know a lot about "pre-hab" for tennis elbow or golfer's elbow, which are different things, but I do know that many of these disorders aren't traced to the muscles that you would suspect.

IP Logged

markus
Tiro

Logan, Utah
Reply #10 - Dec 1st, 2004 at 12:06pm

I also practice Aikido, which has great stretches for the wrist to strengthen them and make them more flexible, but I don't know about them helping the elbows.

However, when I played tennis in high school, our coach had us do some modified pushups to strengthen the muscles around the elbows so they wouldn't hurt.

You stand facing a wall almost your full arm's length away with your palms against the wall.  Then you do a standing pushup by leaning into the wall, except your elbows don't bend out to the side, they bend straight down so they end up at your sides.  These kind of pushups kept me from getting tennis elbow

But Ammon stood forth and began to cast stones at them with his sling; yea, with mighty power he did sling stones amongst them; and thus he slew a certain number of them insomuch that they began to be astonished at his power - Alma 17:36

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #11 - Dec 1st, 2004 at 7:22pm

Good thinking. I'll try that.

Its probably from one of the dozen ugly crashes I sustained racing motocross and downhill mountain bike back when I didn't have any sense. All my knees and elbows have huge amout of scars all over them and I wouldn't doubt that inside they were banged up ass well.

IP Logged

markus
Tiro

Logan, Utah
Reply #12 - Dec 1st, 2004 at 10:44pm

I think it might also depend on your style of throwing.

The way I throw, a 1 3/4 rotation with one spin completely behind the back, you end up with a throwing motion similar to a baseball so the pain is in the shoulder.

But Ammon stood forth and began to cast stones at them with his sling; yea, with mighty power he did sling stones amongst them; and thus he slew a certain number of them insomuch that they began to be astonished at his power - Alma 17:36

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #13 - Dec 6th, 2004 at 6:50pm

Hey Markus, I've been trying the against the wall push-ups like you suggested. It feels good in the spot on my arm that gets sore from slinging, but feels like murder on my elbows! Does this mean I'm doing it right or wrong? All the other excercises I do when working out seem easy on the old elbows comparatively. Push-ups, bench press, bicep curls, lat and tricep pulldowns, chinups and working with a heavy back all feel fine.

Maybe some other people could try this exercise and tell me how their elbows feel?

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #14 - Dec 7th, 2004 at 11:01am

Don't forget your back muscles! Most shoulder injuries that happen athletes in shoulder-intensive sports (such as slinging) can be traced and prevented by strengthening the muscles of the back that lend support to the shoulder complex. Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Kick, vetryan15)