Send Topic Print
still slinging (Read 2354 times)
Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
still slinging
Nov 21st, 2004 at 11:42am

When you sling you do a lot of moving. ever try slinging from a row boat where you cant do that much moving? Not to mention that your setting down. What kind of style would you use there? Mostlikley the over the head style. shame i cant do that very well. May be you could have your arm raised up a little farther then normal to avoid hitting the water.

any way i would like to know how you would sling while in a small row boat. Boats tend to flip when you stand up so i would like to learn how to sling setting down.

Gun you said that vikings did sling. Did they have a unique looking sling or did it verry little and look no diffrent then the normal sling?

thanks doug

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Re: still slinging
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2004 at 12:14pm

I would say that the over the head, horizontal rotation would be the one to use if in a small boat if you use rotations.

I use no spinning just from out infront of me and around and then straight forward. I would have to make a more horizontal release than usual but I think I could adapt it fairly well to a boat. Look at the video I have in the "Articles" section.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2004 at 12:42pm

I've been giving this a bit of thought after our "slinging from a kayak" segue and the "shotgun" thread. The always elusive Inuit sling handles suggest at least the possibility that slings were carried in kayaks (not for hunting _from_ the boat though - not many places in the arctic where you have sling-takeable game in/near the water), and giving it some thought I think I can develop more power (awkward as it is) with a sling that with a harpoon. At lower latitudes, ducks would be quite viable game if you had a decent spread shot glans.

Trying it out, you obviously don't have the grunt that you do with firm footing, but you can actually put quite a bit of torso into the throw using the knees to brace. The main problem is sling length. An around the back of the head-up-and-over seems to work pretty well. I can guarantee that all of the other kayakers would be none too happy about the equivalent of a light cruiser  pulling up just outside of thrown object range and openig a bombardment. Of course, since you can't throw and paddle at the same time, 5 strokes and they are outside of range...

Speaking of throwing things while sitting - I brought the piece of insulation foam from the M.G.P. experiments in the other night and have been having great fun embedding playing cards up to 3/4 of an inch deep from across the room while sitting in my computer chair. I never would have thought it possible!

Matthias

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2004 at 5:21pm

Ya, I sometimes sling from my boat and I hold my arm up high, get the sling going horizontal over the head and release. It works well, I can sling a rock about 75 meters that way. About half as far a standing on the shore.

Yesterday I was out on the water and practicing. I was slinging at seagulls that are around in the millions eating dieing salmon. I've been doing this for a while and had never hit one until yesterday. Wham, it was toast on the spot. I felt kinda sad too, I was just fooling around.

Anyway I don't really recomend seagulls for flavor or toughness. As a kid my cousin and I would go on horseback trips for two or three days when we were like 10 years old. We would take along these little single shot, bold action .22's we got cuz his parents were ranchers, and cowboys and thought that kids need to learn how to shoot. We would shoot the odd gopher, grouse, etc and eat it cooked over a camp fire. Those were real tasty compared to yesterdays seagull.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2004 at 8:36pm

Douglas_The_Black, I don't have all that much information other than they used slings. The thing with the Viking is that they had boats you could stand up in and not flip it over. I know they proably had small boats too, but i haven't found any evedience that the vikings used their slings other than warfare. So they proably wouldn't have any need to uses them from a small boat. I am sure the viking ,just like every other humans, experimented with different things, slings inculeded. But like I said their is not very many recorded viking slings in musiums to look at.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 22nd, 2004 at 1:38pm

Well, seagulls eat fish, and don't have a very varied diet.  Probably, therefore, not the tastiest of things.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2004 at 6:14pm

Ok thanks gun. and just out of curosity what is every ones favorite sling style? I also wonder if slinging from horse back would be easier then from a boat.

Matthias you have one guy rowing the other slinging Wink who cares about being your own light battel ship when your targets are gulles. haha i could bombard them with my safe none deadly reacreation ammo: eggs.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #7 - Nov 23rd, 2004 at 11:17am

I use 3 styles, over the head with rotations, and just the regular whipped out shots over and under-hand.
I imagine you could sit with your left knee up and your right down if you were on a boat, pressing your left foot down as you whip to a target on your right, or vice versa, but of course, only horizontally.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #8 - Nov 23rd, 2004 at 12:45pm

Vikings (er, we prefer the term Nordic traders) also stood on dry land from time to time. Smiley

A possible sling was found in Haithabu/Hedeby. It is a pouch of leather, and has a number of longitudinal slashes in it, with two large holes for tying the cords.
Recently the York Archaeological Trust published a book on leather finds in and around York, which was an important Scandinavian settlement. Many, many slings were found. They are all of leather, pouches only, and often feature a small diamond-shaped cutout in the center.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #9 - Nov 23rd, 2004 at 4:39pm

Quote:
Vikings (er, we prefer the term Nordic traders)

We do?

Do you have any links to websites where they show pictures of them?

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #10 - Nov 26th, 2004 at 7:45am

yes i would also like to see some nordic trader slings.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #11 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 11:35am

If you could get a picture that would be great.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #12 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 6:46pm

Cant find a picture? ow thats a shame. I realy wanted to see it.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Morphy, vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)