Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
slinger in 'Alexander' (Read 5527 times)
rob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

slinger in 'Alexander'
Nov 20th, 2004 at 2:30pm

went to a sneak preview of 'Alexander' on thursday.

aside from being a pretty bad movie, there was a slinger in it!

they show the Battle of Gaugamela and just as the two center blocks of Macedonian phalanx are about to close with Persian infantry they fire a unit of light skirmishers out between the two units to disrupt the Persian advance. the first skirmisher you see is a slinger, followed by javelineers and (i believe) more slingers. the slinger drops a Persian light infantryman dead in his tracks.

but, of course, he's running forward and 'helicoptering' it.

the sling looks to be braided, about a cubit long.

had to share.

&&"...with slings of twisted wool from which they showered their missiles to break the ranks of the Trojans."

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Re: slinger in 'Alexander'
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2004 at 2:40pm

A bad movie eh?  Thanks for the advance warning.  It will come to England in... well, ages.  It's nice to know that slingers are represented though.

IP Logged

rob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2004 at 2:46pm

the biggest problem with the movie was the rampant overacting. every scene had to be an angst ridden emotional rollercoaster. apparently that's what Stone wanted, because the actors are all better than that.

and fair warning, not that it bothers me, if you are uncomfortable -at all- with the idea of two men in love you might be a little overwhelmed. Alexander and Hephastion are very much devoted to eachother. this is handled mostly in a 'you are my soulmate' sort of way. limited physicality.

&&"...with slings of twisted wool from which they showered their missiles to break the ranks of the Trojans."

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2004 at 6:53pm

If there are slingers in the movie I'll go check it out regardless of how good it is. Wink

IP Logged

rob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2004 at 6:40am

Quote:
If there are slingers in the movie I'll go check it out regardless of how good it is. Wink

2 hours and 50 minutes for 2 seconds of slinging. you're more of a man than i  Smiley

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 21st, 2004 at 6:43am

It can't be that bad, surely...? I'm going to see it anyway, probably, when it comes over here.  Just to see how bad it is, if anything.

IP Logged

rob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2004 at 2:09pm

oh, it was bad. but i'll see it again anyway Smiley.

if nothing else, just experience it with a minimal audience. people are ridiculously rude.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2004 at 11:07pm

I bought the video of "King David" just for the few minutes of the sling in it.  It is certainly one of the few movies that changed my life.  Funny thing is I have never finished the video.  I always rewind it over and over to the duel with Goliath. Roll Eyes

I'll go see Alexander.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #8 - Nov 22nd, 2004 at 9:04am

I don't know much about the alexander movie, but with like every historic movie hollywood puts out there is thing to help promot it on the history and discovery channel. You might watch one of this show and find more about the sling than this movie will show.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - Nov 22nd, 2004 at 11:38am

I haven't seen the movie, but did anyone catch the Discovery channel special on Alexander the great?  Apparently, the battle of Gaugamele (did I get that right?) was quite decisive in Alexander's military career, and 'peltists' (slingers, javelineers, & archers) were key in that victory.  Alexander's cavalry rode off the battle field, forcing Persia's cavalry to paralell him to avoid being flanked.  Once he'd lured them far enough away to open a hole in Persia's defenses, he spun around and went charging back through it.  Of course, all Persia had to do was send their cavalry back to plug the hole, but Alexander had his peltists trotting along behind the cavalry, hidden by the horses.  When he changed direction, the peltists blasted Persia's horsmen to keep them from engaging Alexander's cavalry.  Slingers save the day!

They showed examples of the sling, the javelin, and the short bows.  All weapons were presented as being 'short range.'  The sling was strange.  It was a sewn leather cup, with a single cord running through one end, back behind the cup, back up through the other end, so rather than two cords attached at the ends of the cradle, it was one long cord going through the cradle.  The guy demonstrated, whirling the thing over his head like mad, but he hit the target.  Unless there was trick photography involved...

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #10 - Nov 22nd, 2004 at 5:46pm

yes i saw the show of alexander on discovery. There was an old guy in battel field alexander who was an old marine core i think. he was good with the javilen and sling. impressed me. of corse im easly impressed by most slingers. just becase i have put about 30 min of practic every day rain or shine and still i suck. i have been doing this for about a month now. i have gotten noticably better but still...

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

DCR

Cute slogan pending. ~Management

Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
Reply #11 - Nov 27th, 2004 at 3:34am

I am a BIG fan of period movies. ANY period. I like 'em all. Even when they're not that great....but

Alexander SUCKED ASS!!!

Absolutely the worst movie I've seen all year.
NOT because of homosexual overtones
NOT because of any period inaccuracies
NOT because Alexander's wig couldn't be more fake if it had a chin strap.

It just plain sucked.

AND...They use used the slogan of my fencing class "Fortune favors the bold"  twice.
  Now we have to change all our t-shirts so people won't think we like that stinker of a show!

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Nov 27th, 2004 at 4:53am

I can safely say that now I HAVE to see it, if it's this bad.

Since when did a Greek (well, Macedonian) have blonde hair?  Does that really make any sense?

IP Logged

DCR

Cute slogan pending. ~Management

Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
Reply #13 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 6:24am

I'm sure there were blonde Macedonians. Ancient mosaics depict him with longish blondish hair.
  But, I'm telling you, that hair looked so fake it was like he walked straight off the set of Monty Python.
   Oh yeah, I forgot to mention....

The BAD IRISH AND SCOTCH ACCENTS...

What the f@#k!?  Ya heerd meh! Irish and Scotch accents!!!
   And they were BAD!

I can't hate this movie enough, guys...... Angry

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #14 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 11:48am

maybe his hair was just sun bleached? Wink much like a surfer, thats where they got the blong part.

well i guess i wont waste my time watching the movie when it comes out on vhs a year from now if every one hates it.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Chris, vetryan15, Morphy)