Send Topic Print
Sling Weight (Read 1525 times)
Shaun
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Pleasant Hope, Mo
Sling Weight
Nov 15th, 2004 at 7:41pm

I just made a braided sling using the directions in the article "Three strand braided sling, step by step" And I've noticed that I've gottten much better performance out of it that my other braided cord- leather pouch slings. There are a lot of variables such as the width of the cords,split pouch as opposed to solid leather pouch, and air resistance (which probably has something  to do with it) but the most noticible difference is the sling weight. Does the weight have any effect on performance, ie imparting extra inertia to the projectile or is it just the reduced air resistance and the couple exra inches of length? Also could lighter ammo be made more effective with a weighted pouch or would the pouch just retain the extra energy and swing around untill it hit me?  It's about 3 feet give or take a few inches.
I'll post pictures of this and some of my other slings as soon as I get them taken and the picture/filesize reduced.

<?php&& $id = $_GET[

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Re: Sling Weight
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 9:00pm

I think that with longer slings, (4 feet and over) you'd want the cords and pouch to be as light and thin as possible.

But my experience with short sling (2 feet or shorter) is that heavy cords gives a much better "feel".  Also (for short slings) if you have the release cord tappered, thick near the pouch and thiner near the end, you can make it "crack" (like a whip) easier.  For me that means the pocket is opening faster and therefore the release is more consistant.  Some times I'd tie knots near the pouch so that the cords become heavier there to help generate the whip-like effect.  Try it and you'll see.  It's more of an art than science, I can't explain it that well.

IP Logged

WildAtHeart
Descens

woo hoo

Atlanta GA
Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 12:04am

that makes good sense, tint.

Is that crack the end of the cord breaking the speed of sound? Thats what I heard

WWW wormscout13  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 12:36am

I think it is breaking the sound barrier.  Sometimes when I throw with smaller rocks, there is no crack but just a snap.  The difference is very noticable.  I used to play with a bull whip and the sounds are similar.  Loud crack when I do it right and a not-so-loud-snap when the timing is a little off.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 4:04am

i find that when i use metal crimps instead of knots it feel like it add more power

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy)