Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
clay glandes (Read 1489 times)
henryblowery
Descens

Raleigh NC
clay glandes
Nov 14th, 2004 at 7:21pm

i was thinking about makeing some clay glandes i think that will be easer then makeing lead glandes but i was wandering
what kind of clay you would use? can you use clay that you dig up from the ground if you firer it ( i did that win i was a kid 
to make marbles)?

IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/thaiche/Henrybloweryssig.jpg[/IMG]
WWW henryblowery  
IP Logged

KnollSlinger

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger

Chandler, Arizona, USA
Re: clay glandes
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 8:22am

If you live in Gerogia where the land is red, you are sitting on the best clay!  You can make as many as you have fire for.  For even bettor results, add some tungsten powder!

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger&&Who can beat me?

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 2:45pm

Well, clay from the ground can be great stuff.  Can take a while, though.  You have to dry it out, get out the impurities.... but it tends to be worth it.  My Uncle makes pots, and he uses a bunch of methods.  He sometimes uses clay from his garden.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 3:17pm

Quote:
can you use clay that you dig up from the ground if you firer it ( i did that win i was a kid   
to make marbles)?

Do you have to fire the glandes. I mean i know from art class you dry the clay out and then fire it, but would you have to fire it? It is not like you going to keep these clay glands for very long anyways.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 5:19pm

I used to just let clay glandes dry out good.  No firing.  They held together fine in the sling, and a couple of good rainstorms return them to dirt, which is very ecological.   

I bought moist gray clay at local craft store.  25lbs for about $15, and I think I got about 350 glandes out of the 25lbs, each about 75grams dry weight.

Sizing, then forming them into little footballs by hand was a lot of work, but they sure did fly well!

mgreenfield

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 10:57am

You don't have to fire them, I'm sure.  But it's not that difficult.  It's not like primitively firing a pot, which will often crack it and blacken it, because it is just a lump of clay.  Not much to crack in it.  So it shouldn't be too much hard to fire them if you had to.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Rat Man)