Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wood (Read 3098 times)
english
Ex Member

Wood
Nov 13th, 2004 at 5:11am

Here in England, I find the most useful trees to be birch, hazel, willow and ash.  Birch has birch bark, (the wood is also very useful stuff), birch sap...  Hazel makes good baskets, short spears, arrows.  Willow makes good fire drill hearths/drills, good bark cordage, and a few other things, like medicine, bandages, &c.  Ash is a fantastic wood: very hard and tough, and so makes great spears, throwing sticks, bows and just miscellaneous bits and pieces that require hardness.  Also, makes good arrows and even arrowheads.  I was wondering if anyone knows any uses of these or any other woods which I haven't listed.  I don't know much about American woods like hickory - how are these used?

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Re: Wood
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 10:01am

Willow has medicinal properties, and if you find a nice piece, or even a large straight bark covered root, you can make a pretty good wooden weapon.
Hazel is a very pretty wood, and also quite hard, good for musical instruments (but I'd prefer using pearwood).
Yew is poisonous, so it must have some use in that context, it's also meant to be a good carving wood. Red and white oak are commonly used for making bokkens and bo/hanbo. Hmmm, don't know many more, really.
Oh, and lets not forget the humble stinging nettle! (not a tree, but still). You can boil it and then drink the tea, it helps your body absorb calcium. You can make quite nice chordage out of it (I want to make a nettle sling, that'd be one braggable little thing!).

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 11:26am

I've made a nettle sling.  It isn't great, because first of all, I used dead nettles, too late in the season.  So it sucks.  I didn't bother with retting, or any complex processes.  I'm going to try and make another some time.  Now is the time to do it, I guess, but I am overloaded with college work.
  Willow is really too weak for weaponry.  Yew sap could probably be used as an arrowhead poison.  But I hate the actual wood.  It looks nice, sure, but it's horrible wood to carve.

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 11:52am

I wish we had more hazel in the states - it's a very useful plants, the nuts are pretty tasty.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 12:33pm

Yeah, it is useful.  Apparently the Powhatan made bows from Witch Hazel, the American relative.  Hazel is probably the most common tree/shrub in England, at least in the south.  The only problem the wood has is that it splits more easily than most woods, but that can be an advantage, and isn't usually a problem if you can work wood well.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2004 at 5:57pm

Knife handles. The nordic knives uses curvy birch for some of there handles, and i don't see why you couldn't use any of those woods for handles.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 2:38pm

Ash is probably the best wood for knife handles.  Or some other hard woods.  Ash has such a straight grain though, so perfect for tool handles.  I think Oetzi had a knife handle of ash.

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #7 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 4:03pm

The thing about knife and sword handles is that the wood must not pulp under torque (like most pine type wood will). Curly maple and yew make a good handle, so does oak and hazel...rattan and pine eventually give you a floating tang :/.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #8 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 9:47pm

Ash seams to me to be the best all round wood there is. I have a knife with a ash handle and it is a good handle.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 10:30am

Ash is a little more difficult to carve than most woods (nowhere near as hard to carve as beech, which is very fine grain, or yew, which is just curvy and unpredictable).  But it is very useful.

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #10 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 10:58am

It depends what you want to make. For instance, if you were making a wheel, you might make the hub out of elm, because it doesn't split, the spokes out of ash because they are strong but flexible, and oak because it's simply tough.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner)