Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Pellet Bows (Read 7566 times)
english
Ex Member

Pellet Bows
Nov 12th, 2004 at 1:31pm

Stone bows or pellet bows, whatever you want to call them.  I need some answers, if anyone can field them.
  Firstly... in a regular stone/pellet bow, (not the crossbow type), how do you keep your fingers from being blasted by high speed pebble?
  Secondly... are there any simple locks for crossbow-type stone bows?  I've seen lots of complex metal ones, but no simple ones.  I have thought of a design myself, but I haven't tried it out yet.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Re: Pellet Bows
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2004 at 2:09pm

whats a stone bow? a bow that shoots a stone? maybe?  ??? who used them? they might make itinto my book Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2004 at 5:51pm

I have a bow string I put a pouch in the center of and sometimes use on my 65# compound bow i usaly fire one ounce egg sinkers out of it. And so far have never hit my finger's the truth is
I never thought about the possibillit till now

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

KnollSlinger

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger

Chandler, Arizona, USA
Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 2:00am

This sounds like a slingshot with the handle missing.

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger&&Who can beat me?

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 4:31am

A primitive stone bow is just a long bow that has a pouch for shooting pebbles.  They are used extensively across Asia, some parts of Africa and even South America.  In China, they developed into crossbow pellet bows, for shooting birds.  These designs were then carried back to Europe where they were very extensively used for hunting.  Italy was first to use them in Europe, but they spread and became quite popular.  In England, they were used until about the 19th century when guns became cheaper, and were used for shooting lead bullets.
  I have used a regular pellet bow before, and it whipped the stone hard across my knuckles.  Not nice.  I was wondering whether a twist of the hand is needed to avoid the pellet.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #5 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 8:04am

Hmm. well it sounds cool. maybe you could move your hand farther down the bow ??? Maybe tilter it so that the senter is down a little farther and the place for the stone is up a little higher.  ???

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 8:18am

Nah, that would screw up accuracy.  Plus, the way you hold the bow would be different with the handle lower down, and so the stone or pellet would actually go through the same point, by your hand.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #7 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 8:26am

hmm so you cant hold one hand lower and the other higer? that sucks. well im drained of suggestions Smiley

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 8:30am

That's probably why the Chinese made them into pellet crossbows.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #9 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 8:37am

Smiley most likely

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 8:49am

I have been thinking about pellet bows quite a lot recently - I was thinking about the possibility of a crossbow that could shoot both pellets and bolts, for in tough corners when you have run out of bolts.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #11 - Nov 14th, 2004 at 8:38am

well the way i see it is that the pellet bow is just a normal bow with a bit of leather for the pellet?

well you could just make it so the leather slid over the string. The only problem would be you would have to have all that time to unstring your cross bow then restring it up with that rock launcher. Maybe some kinda lace thingey where you put it over the cord and tie it down. that wouldnt be too stabel but it may work.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Nov 14th, 2004 at 12:54pm

For a simple pellet bow, I have no doubt you could just use two different strings.  But the crossbow would be slightly different - stringing and restringing would be more difficult.  I guess you could use one string, but it would have to be well designed.

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #13 - Nov 14th, 2004 at 1:08pm

How about making the bow with, or better yet, designed a hard hand guard? If the bow works well why change the design when you can just add a little accessory? But if the string/pellet hitting your hand saps the strength of the draw, perhaps something else is needed :/

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Nov 14th, 2004 at 1:17pm

The hurt of the pellet hitting your hand is not so bad - it's the fact that the pellet is not going to hit anything if it has already hit your hand, making the weapon a bit pointless.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Masiakasaurus)