Send Topic Print
hunting season? (Read 5890 times)
Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Re: hunting season?
Reply #15 - Nov 12th, 2004 at 5:18am

I have a blowgun made out of a hollow piece of bone. I think it came from when my grandmother was making a stew or something...anyway I cleaned out the marrow and it works very well. I use wooden splinters wrapped in cotton (a classic schoolboy ammunition). It is thicker at one end and thinner at the other, so obviously you blow on the thicker end to maximize power. I've killed some mice with it, that's about all.
I've tried killing rats with my sling, but I tend to miss when aiming at ground level :/

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Nov 12th, 2004 at 1:00pm

I have hunted with a crossbow, and I have tried with other weapons.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #17 - Nov 12th, 2004 at 2:07pm

well im talking about more so exotictick weapons. Alot of hunters today use crossbows. i have use one in hunting too. But what about the other weapons english? I am intersested in those.

(I couldent hit a mouce with my sling if it was a foot away at the perfect level. standing right where the stone should hit. so dont feel too bad Wink)

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 4:34am

I don't mean a bloody modern plastic-composite crossbow.  I mean a wooden, handmade Chinese-style replica.  No metal in it, just wood and string.  I call that quite exotic.  I was just using it to hunt pheasants, not using a modern bow to shoot deer.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #19 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 8:07am

yes my friends father uses a crossbow that has only a thing for your foot  and an metal crank. Its a more so medival cross bow. by the way did the wooden cross bows work well for you? how's its accurcy? did you make it?

thanks

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 8:26am

Yeah, I made it.  You'd think that a wooden prod on a crossbow is inefficient compared to metal bows (or composite bows).  All three types were used together during the medieval period in Europe.  Wooden bows were still being used in Europe up until 1900 (ok, it's an isolated case, but...)  They were still used right up into the 15th and even 16th centuries by some armies.  They aren't as bad as you might think.  In fact, all that is needed to make a relatively strong bow is good wood and right length.
  Accuracy is good, as in most crossbows.  Quite easy to make as well.  Anyway, it hit the pheasant hard enough in the neck to drop it with a clean shot right the way through.  I think that throwing sticks make more sense when fowling, though.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #21 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 8:28am

cool how did you make it?

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 8:31am

With a knife.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #23 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 8:36am

Smiley

what sizes did you have it? did you just take a rectangel pice of board and attach a small bow to one end? cut a hole in the back for a trigger? thats what i was trying to do but havent got around to making the small bow.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 8:43am

No.  I cut all the wood myself, cut it down to the right proportions (waist height for the stock/tiller, knee height for the prod), carved it properly to shape, cut the mechanism into the stock (rising pin trigger), cut the groove for the bolt, fitted the string, tested the prod, made some quarrels and then test shot it.  Adjusted it accordingly (string length, &c), and then shot it properly.  It is accurate.  Go to www.atarn.org for information on Chinese crossbows, amongst other things.  (You will want to click on "China", then "the crossbows of southwest China".  You can also find out about many, many other things on there.  It's a great site).

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #25 - Nov 14th, 2004 at 8:07am

thanks english i was trying to make my cross bow out of a 2by4 Cheesy

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark)