Send Topic Print
making pitch (Read 4047 times)
Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
making pitch
Nov 7th, 2004 at 7:16pm

i know pitch is made by doing something to pine sap.
so what do i do to the sap and is there any way to get lots of sap at one time? thanks.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

hawkhawkins00
Tiro

Re: making pitch
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2004 at 3:43am

I think one of the Foxfire books has an article on making pitch...
From what I can remember they took a good amount of "fat pine" thats pine that contains alot of sap.
Here in Tennessee it would be yellow pine.
Split it into slivers and kindling sized sticks. They then took a large rock and carved a trough into it for the pitch to run down. The slivers were jammed into a large cast iron pot...I would think a capped off piece of well casing would work if it were large enough.
Turned the whole mess upside down. Sealed off the pot with mud except for the trough. They placed a catch pan below the rock and let the sap run into it.
I am assuming this would be done in the heat of summer or with the aid of some sort of, heat a small fire somewhere on the rock but not directly in contact with the pot ...
Thats the way large ammounts of pitch was rendered.
After its collected it still needs to be cleaned...
This would mean heating it to get the ash, dirt, critters, or what have you that has collected in the sap.
I belive the artical said something to the effect of skimming it while it was hot...Because the stuff would come to the top. Sometimes this stuff escapes me. I have forgotten more than I think I'll ever remember.
***THIS STUFF IS HORRIBLE WHEN HOT... USE CAUTION***
Its like natural napalm....
Small ammounts of pitch can be collected nearly the same way you would collect maple syrup.
When you cut the tree sap will form to seal the wound...
The hardened sap over a pine tree is pitch.
collect it in a can or something and heat it...
When it cools roll it into a ball...
Native Americans would dust it lightly with white ash from the fire to keep it from being so sticky. This was done for storage.
Hope I could be of some use...
Most of my information was obtained from FOXFIRE, and a book on primative skills called WOODSMOKE
Hawk

there is no knowledge that is not power

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2004 at 11:11am

IP Logged

hawkhawkins00
Tiro

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2004 at 11:16am

Leave it up to me to write an essay. LOL
I didnt know you could buy the stuff
Hawk

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2004 at 12:41pm

Natural napalm, eh? I have such a sardonic grin on my face now. But my days of doing incredibly stupid things are over (like mixing polystyrene foam with alcohol and burning it, that's like napalm!).

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2004 at 1:10pm

Pine resin is easily collected and manipulated.  Basically, it is the result of the tree trying to heal itself (so some native American tribes would hit pines with large batons to encourage the overproduction of resin).  You can collect it either from under the bark of the tree, or in dried form, on the outside.  You just chip a bit off, put it on a flat section of a wide stick niear a fire, and let it melt.  Then add either wood ash or beeswax, to plasticise it.  Otherwise the resin is too brittle for most purposes.  Make sure, when heating the resin and adding the ash, that the parts you want to glue are nearby and ready to assemble, because otherwise you would have to heat the resin again, and that can spoil it.
  Basically this is a summary of what other people have said - it is very easy, natural glue.  I use it for a lot of things, because I can't use hide glue or others like it.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2004 at 3:05pm

yes imusing the pitch as a sealent in a waterbottle and im too cheap to buy it. But this napalm thing intrests me.
ive made the styrofome and gas napalm but this natural sap napalm sounds cooler. must that sap be hot to ignight or can i let it dry and then ignight it?

thanks.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #7 - Nov 8th, 2004 at 5:59pm

I've heard a lot about pitch being used for burning-arrow attacks.   Also for dropping from castle-walls.   Cheesy

solobo88  
IP Logged

KnollSlinger

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger

Chandler, Arizona, USA
Reply #8 - Nov 9th, 2004 at 1:35am

Quote:
I've heard a lot about pitch being used for burning-arrow attacks.   Also for dropping from castle-walls.   Cheesy

OK!.. now I know how to make my tracer bullets!

ROcks coated with pitch.. set afire!

Or, Tungsten balls, coated with pitch, flaming!

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger&&Who can beat me?

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 9th, 2004 at 11:30am

Except.... they would stick to the pouch.  Not good.  A burning, sticky ball in your sling.  Could ruin your day.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #10 - Nov 9th, 2004 at 2:24pm

Hmm you could powder your sling ???
or you could put it in some sort of sabboth sheth type deal. that way its all on fire but nothing is touching the sling. or you could lighter fluid
like for a zippo. the lighter fluid would mostlikly work.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

hawkhawkins00
Tiro

Reply #11 - Nov 10th, 2004 at 1:19am

That stuff is sticky...when burning it will stick.
Ever heard of pine tar ???
They used pitch to seal boats too. Saw on Mythbusters where they used flax fibers and pitch to seal a primative boat.
Versitile stuff.
Btw anybody ever hear of an exploding pine cone ???
Saw somewhere that they will explode when covered in pitch and put in a fire.
Hawk

IP Logged

KnollSlinger

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger

Chandler, Arizona, USA
Reply #12 - Nov 10th, 2004 at 1:30am

I would load rock in sling, and only cover a small part with pitch, light it, spin up, and fling it.

Thus, the pitch would not touch the sling.. I hope.

Would have bucket of water handy to throw sling into after release.

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger&&Who can beat me?

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #13 - Nov 10th, 2004 at 8:08pm

hmm now wouldent the force of the throw rip the pitch right out of the sling any way? shure there would be some left over but leather does not burn that easey and i guess i would have that bucket handy.

good thing slings are cheap and easy to make. who cares if it burns up. just get it off you finger first then stop caring.  Wink

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Chris, Rat Man, Bill Skinner)