Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
untwisting string - torque- pocket orientation? (Read 1765 times)
KnollSlinger

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger

Chandler, Arizona, USA
untwisting string - torque- pocket orientation?
Nov 7th, 2004 at 4:37pm

If a sling is made of hemp string, which has a lot of desireable qualities, (thin, strong, rigid, flexible) would untwisting of the string present a problem?

Might this rotate the pocket orientation, causing a non optimal release, or bullet orientation?

Materials that do not have this property:
Nylong rope, leather shoelace, braided materials.

Anyone else consider this as a factor in material choice?

I know this is not of historical significance, but my interest is more in ADVANCING the art, not only studying it.

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger&&Who can beat me?

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Re: untwisting string - torque- pocket orientation
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2004 at 4:55pm

Interesting query & wish I could offer an opinion.  

BUT I have noted that slings made with extremely flexible cords just dont seem to work as well as slings made with cords that have even a little length-wise and torsional stiffness.    This little bit of stiffness seems to be necessary for point-first pitches of ellipsoid glandes.

And I think the stiffer, the better, but I cant tell you why.

For sure, there is a place of diminishing returns because stiff cords also tend to be thick and have more air drag.

mgreenfield

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2004 at 10:02pm

This is a function of consruction rather than material. Twisted yarns are plied back on themselves to balance the tension, but will still carry residual twist. Often, humidity changes can alter the set. A poorly balanced/not relaxed yarn can twist and or kink back on itself.

You can cable a multi ply rope for even more stability. The easiet though is just to braid it. Braids are mechanically locked given a uniform twist yarn.

I agree with mgreenfield. I've always favoured slings with large torsional stiffness. Lengthwise may not be as important, but it sure makes the sling easier to handle. Maybe an ideal composite design would have a stiffer retention cord and a thin/flexible release?

Matthias

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2004 at 2:22am

this is why my prefered cord is now the leather cord from old jump rope's it is about a 1/8 inch thick  really stiff does not twist and just delivers the power to that bullet. Not only that has a nice satifying snap at the end

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

WildAtHeart
Descens

woo hoo

Atlanta GA
Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2004 at 8:26am

I have used hemp before and when its woven it is great. I do not know about it unwinding - but I am also wary of it fraying after lots of use.

WWW wormscout13  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2004 at 1:31pm

Twisting cords eh?  Well, I braid pretty much all my slings.  The twist and counter twist means that the cords never actually twist up themselves.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man, Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15)