Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Pictures of the one of my slings (Read 4234 times)
KnollSlinger

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger

Chandler, Arizona, USA
Re: Pictures of the one of my slings
Reply #15 - Nov 7th, 2004 at 5:27pm

Quote:
Yes, indeed, a longer pouch must be used if you use a wide grip.   BUT you have to use a wide grip to pitch ellipsoid glandes point-first.

A longer pouch means a slower snap because of increased air drag.  How much of that speed do you recover at the target because you pitched the glande point-first??

It's all a big puzzle.      mgreenfield

You must be right!  I use a very narrow grip and my stones come out travelling perpendicular to the long axis of the ovoid.  This DOES increase the effective calibur at impact.. something I rather like.

I'm probally too old to learn how to throw football spirals.

I am not comfortalbe withoug TWO knots between my fingers, even the though the release cord is bound to my wrist or other fingers, to me this is just a saftey so the sling does not leave my control.

You don't recover speed at the target.  For close range, you want the broadside impact.  Penetration is not a problem in my league.

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger&&Who can beat me?

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #16 - Nov 7th, 2004 at 5:44pm

Knollslinger, ....TWO knots between your forefinger & thumb, AND you release just one to make the shot??  If so, how do you do that??     mgreenfield

IP Logged

Alsatian
Descens

Reply #17 - Nov 10th, 2004 at 6:57pm

I’ve been thinking at the fact some of you guys (English, WalkingBird, Yurek) mentioned that a narrow but long pouch can be much more secure than a (even nicely cupped) short one. My conclusion is that it is the principle that everything tends to have the lowest gravity point which is at work here. Not long ago I was myself nearly a victim of this principle. I had a nicely cupped pouch functioning very well but I decided to change the cord on one side. Instead I began to remove the sewing on the other side. I only removed a bit of it, starting from the upper part of the pouch and careless as I always am (Alzheimer and other ilnesses) I forgot to repair it. The very few millimeters of difference in the hanging of the pouch had the effect that I nearly got one of my bigger bullets on the head.

Now I have a very clear vision:

n Flexible (narrow but) long pouch: The two hanging points of the system pouch+bullet are much higher than their centre of gravity. This gives a big stability to this system. A slight cupping of the pouch is sufficient as the bullet will tend to take the pouch along if ever it has a tendency to go to the side.
n Short and nicely cupped (stiff or flexible doesn’t matter) can’t hold any bullet where the centre of gravity comes close or is higher to the hanging points. Of course if the cords are very stiff and the cup is very solidly fixed to them things will be different. Taking the extreme case of solid metallic „cords" with the pouch solidly fixed on them, now the new hanging points would be where the hand is holding these „cords". And in this case the centre of gravity of the bullet can be higher than the points where the pouch is fixed to the cords.

So, taking a flexible long pouch - even if narrow and only slightly cupped - is always rather secure whereas in the other case the security depends on many interdepending factors: stiffness of cords, how is the pouch fixed to the cords and how big are the bullets.

During the whirling of the sling the centrifugal force of course replaces the gravity (in the theory I just presented) and the system pouch+bullet „wants" to have the „lowest point" in respect to this force.

(In both cases of course flexible doesn’t mean stretchable! As you all know the pouch much be as unstretchable as possible.)

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #18 - Nov 11th, 2004 at 2:21am

Well, by now you all know I am a big wide grip fan. I use a toggle that is as wide as my hand with string coming out between the ring finger and pinkie and release node between thumb and index. what I haven't really mentioned is I use a long pouch also about six inches in total granted it is a draw string pouch. But I do love those spirals I gave up using any ammo that's not oval.
I drool and stop and pick up most egg size and shape stone I come across. But all of this is for my standard forty-three inch sling. from which the stone is hurled vertically.
  When I pick up my version of knollSlingers six footer every thing changes. I almost consider it a different weapon definitely a different class. I have a wrist thong for it and have to do a little ballet act to fire it properly and it is hurled primarily horizontal.
I don't think the spiral hurls lend them selves easily to horizontal throwing. It Is definitely Much easier to achieve with a vertical throw  now I love my large sling and sometimes wonder which kind of slinger was used in bronze-age warfare if it was a row of guys stand hurling moderate length slings more less motionless
or was it giant dance show with long six foot sling every
where being hurl by odd whirling dervish performing this macob ballet

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, Kick, Morphy, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)