Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Pole rifle/cannon (Read 3583 times)
knight

blargh~

Philadelphia
Pole rifle/cannon
Oct 29th, 2004 at 10:56pm

well i was watchen this anime (princess mononoke) and these ppl were using a pole with a metal type thing at the end it was wide then a spout and u would shove in the gunpowder in there and then put a iron ball the size of a golfball in there and there was a hole at the top with somekind of sand paper in it so when u put the match through the hole it would light and shoot. well i wanted to know if they were real and if they are not i want someone to make one but with it like a sword cane/powder stuffer if u know what i mean like it could be a pole arm and u unscrew it and it has a sword in it and u can stuff the powder it would be a really good weapon even today intill they make nano shirts that can take on any ballistic

...&&&&
xrpgknightx xrpgknightx  
IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Re: Pole rifle/cannon
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2004 at 4:19am

i've seen in books some daggers and swords with a built in pistol in the handle (or was it a pistol with a built in dagger or sword?)  They were boreloaders, so it was only 1 shoot available, anyway a good resort if things get too hard...

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2004 at 8:36am

my little brother likes animay and he has seen that show. I know what your talking about. It would be nice untill the cannon exploded in your face. Also how they where using it would be much too heavey. That cannon was like atleast 50 pounds if it was of iron. and on a thin shaft like they had I think it would be far to slow, too heavey, and would break the shaft.

I dont think it was real persay but i think its based on something real.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

knight

blargh~

Philadelphia
Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2004 at 8:52am

yea but it would be cool to hang on the wall but i find it online

...&&&&
xrpgknightx xrpgknightx  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #4 - Oct 30th, 2004 at 11:56am

Quote:
i've seen in books some daggers and swords with a built in pistol in the handle (or was it a pistol with a built in dagger or sword?)  They were boreloaders, so it was only 1 shoot available, anyway a good resort if things get too hard...

wasn't it called a Cutlass?

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

RockChucker

Montreal MO.
Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2004 at 2:08am

sounds  like a  larger version of the first firearm  call  a handconnon  or  handgun  it  was a simple smooth bore  with a  iron  pole that  the user  held onto
15th Century Style Hand Cannon
The 21 1/2 inch iron tube with flared muzzle, octagonal breech section and lobed triangular rest mounted on the underside. Breech with forked tang for a stock.

bendsum bendsum  
IP Logged

knight

blargh~

Philadelphia
Reply #6 - Oct 31st, 2004 at 8:03pm

yea it looks like that only had a long wooden pole on it

...&&&&
xrpgknightx xrpgknightx  
IP Logged

MammotHunter

Reply #7 - Oct 31st, 2004 at 10:19pm

RockChucker is right. Basically, it's a "handcannon" you would stuff the power and wadding down the barrel, ram it down like you would with a musket, place the shot in the tube, slide it CAREFULLY down, aim the thing, and touch off with a match or a lit fuse rope. The little triangle at the bottom is for bracing against a wall like on a castle ramparts. You let the front half hang over the wall, and pull the barrel back until it braces against the wall, which provides sort of a shock absorber against the massive recoil these things have. Usually between 1.5 and 1.8 metres long. So yeah, they're big, cumbersome, inaccurate, unpredictable (unless you predict it blowing up in your face, and then they're dead on, if you pardon the pun.) but they paved the way for all firearms that we use today. Revolutionary, to be sure. But just as dangerous to the user as to the intended target.

IP Logged

S_ALLEN
Descens

N.Y.
Reply #8 - Nov 1st, 2004 at 5:06pm

Yeah you're pretty much decribing a hand cannon therion arms used to sell them but are no longer on the web site.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2004 at 5:40pm

think of a normal cannon. like what you see in the revolutinary war or pirat cannons and such. Make it smaller and put a pole on it. That is what he is talking about.

Ever make a potato cannon? that was the first kind of cannon i have ever made. I always wanted to try and modify it so it would shoot arrows.   Grin like off of the movie tremmers (3?)

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

knight

blargh~

Philadelphia
Reply #10 - Nov 2nd, 2004 at 8:16pm

how u make patato cannon

...&&&&
xrpgknightx xrpgknightx  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #11 - Nov 3rd, 2004 at 6:06pm

well i made it with my step father when i was younger. but here it gos. DONT TRY THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING.

First you get yourself a long pipe. Ours was this realy complacated pvc pipe with built in lighter. But The easest way to make one is just get yourself some pipe. Get something to plug up the end.
Drill a hole in the end you plugged up. not on the plug itself but above it. on the top of the cannon. We had this little spark maker that we used to set off the explosive but i think you can use any thing that is on fire. A match will work.
now you have your self a pipe, pluged up on one end, with a hole drilled on top. A small hole just big enough for the match or what ever.  Get yourself something that is flammibul and has vapors. I like too use hair spray it works the best.
Spray the inside of the cannon. Too much and youll blow yourself up and too little the potato wont fly out. Put some wading in if you like, we did not, then insert the potato. It needs too be small enough that it fits snug in the cannon. If its too small use some wading. Tissue paper works well.
Touch the match to the hole, or drop the match in, you hear a loud rore and ether theres a flying potato or your on fire.

like i say not safe but fun Wink

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #12 - Nov 3rd, 2004 at 6:21pm

you could even use that for your pole cannon. Make a small cannon. attach it too the pole, something strong the pole should be. use some thing with a little more kick then hair spray.black powder maybe  Drill a hole in the cannon get a wick. Some lead balls. You should use wading if your making a real cannon. and make shure you swab out the cannon before and after firing.
If you dont swab it out there still could be bits of burning things that will set off your black powder and then your on fire. not fun.

Ever shoot a musket? well you need some lead balls like a musket, and you shuld treat that cannon like a large muske. the shot must be on a wad and all of that must be right up agenst the powder. or an air pocket or something will form tearing out the side of your cannon.

When i made my cannons i had adult supervision and my uncele ted who makes muskets for a living.

Dont try this stuff unless your willing to take the risk of death or injury. Your going to get hurt any way from the recole, may even break your arm.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Nov 20th, 2004 at 1:30pm

I know someone who built an air cannon.
hes from delaware and he built a cannon for the punkin chunkin contest and it goes about two thousand feet. not great but he is getting better

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #14 - Nov 22nd, 2004 at 4:46pm

Yep saw that on TV looks cool. I wanted to try and make one of the spinner ones. reminds me of a sling.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar)