Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Significant projectiles (Read 10253 times)
Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Re: Significant projectiles
Reply #15 - Nov 3rd, 2004 at 12:41pm

Matthias wrote:
" I'd have to argue that golf balls are a proper sling projectile for a lot of people! Particularily for those in the city"

Well, I agree golf balls are good sling projectiles, though a little light. In Australia they play a golf modality called cross-golf, or something so, and they use elliptic golf balls that are better for the sling. The versatility of the sling allows to use any kind of projectiles, and along the history they have been used many types according the circunstances or the availability of materials, being the most common the stones, and the best one the lead glandes.
If the sling were a modern sport it woul have an exclusive projectile, like in golf, baseball or tennis, and I wonder whow woul be such a projectile. Maybe the standard would be a cheap, heavy concrete ellipsoide, and of course another special for range made of lead. Then nobody would be trying tennis balls or golf balls, in the same way golf or tennis players donīt try stones or lead glandes Tongue. That doesnīt means that there is not a lot of fun throwing such funny things like eggs, potatoes, bottles or cats and dogs Grin... but to simulate it in a calculator or to train usually with them I think is to be a little  disorientated about what a sling is. Only in a first learning it would be excusable to use soft projectiles like tennis balls, etc.

Well, I think this opinion will have many objections, so Iīll stay on waiting some tennis and others softballs thrown against me Grin

About historical projectiles Iīll try to define and average  for each one, though they have been used differents designs and weights and itīs not an easy task  Roll Eyes

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #16 - Nov 4th, 2004 at 4:22pm

I agree that historically accurate projectiles and rounded stones are the best ammo, and should be thought of as the 'proper' ammo for slings, but there are other considerations.  Slinging as a modern sport is still in it's infancy.  Heck, it's still in the fetal stage.  Lots of folks don't have access to areas where the 'real' ammo is safe to use.  Others live in areas with odd or irregular-shaped rocks and don't have the skills or resources to start making their own lead glandes.  It's a little like skating in America.  At first, skaters had to use parking lots and sidewalks, which served as the basis for lots of the tricks the professional skaters use today (hopping up stairs or curbs, sliding down rails, etc.)  There were no 'proper' places to skate, so they had to contend with rough terrain, security guards, traffic, etc.  Now their are skate parks springing up everywhere.  With slings, I think we have to sling whatever and wherever we can until we get some recognition, which comes from encouraging others to sling whatever and wherever they can.  Besides, if the only place you can sling is the city park, and so the only ammo you can use is tennis balls or snowballs, it's still nice to have some kind of guide to tell you about how far you can expect your shots to go.  I think this is an outstanding project!

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #17 - Nov 4th, 2004 at 6:08pm

Hobb,
of course that one can sling whatever and wherever he wants and especially when he have problems to find the proper ammo and place, as being the sling an incipient sport there are not  specific courts and standardized ammo avalaible, as you say. Itīs just that Iīve practise many years with the sling and sometimes forget that it is not comparable with golf or baseball, and I would like to use a simulator like those of them that not include anything but its proper balls. But about our incipient sling sport welcome then all the help the beginners can have.

Matthias,
here is an approach to the historical projectiles, that must be understood only like "typical" ones better than averages, what is very difficult to calculate without a extensive data collection and otherwise has no much sense as there are many shapes and measures for each type.

NEOLITHIC:
Shape: ellipsoidal 2:1 or biconical.
Material: Clay
Measure: 5.4 x 2.7 cm.
Weight: 35 gr.

BALEARIC:
Shape and Material: natural stones, spherical or ellipsoidal low ratio.
Measure: 7 cm aprox.
Weight: 436 gr. (1 mina)

ROMAN GLANS:
Shape: pointed ellipsoide 2:1
Material: lead
Measure: 3.4 x 1.7
Weight: 60 gr

MEDIEVAL:
Shape: spherical or ellipsoidal low ratio.
Material: smooth stones
Measure: 5.5 cm
Weight: 225 gr

PACIFIC ISLANDS:
Shape: pointed ellipsoide  1.75:1 (lemon shape)
Material: basalt
Measure : 5.5 x 3.15
Weight: 115 gr

Hope it will help Smiley

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #18 - Nov 4th, 2004 at 11:33pm

Thanks Hondero! Now I'll have someone to pin the err.. uhm..

"But Hondero said that such and such was shaped such a way!"

Grin

That's a good list though. I'm thinking I might need to include a picture of the representative glans in the menu or at very least a short description for future users who might not be familiar with the different types. I'm trying to keep this uncluttered - maybe I can have "mouseover hover" stats for the different glandes.

More work this weekend - updates promised.

Matthias

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #19 - Nov 5th, 2004 at 4:05pm

Quote:
Thanks Hondero! Now I'll have someone to pin the err.. uhm..
Matthias

Yeah... well, one must accept his own responsabilities  Undecided

Itīs a good idea to include a picture of each projectile type. About Balearic one, Vicente posted good pictures of the local stones they use, one of them was around 400 gr and match quite well the ancient projectiles of one "mina".
The Pacific projectiles are all very similar and you have one in the Home page and others at the end of the Gallery, I think. As for Roman glandes, there are lots of pictures, I can send you hundreds, mainly this typical I said. Clay glandes pictures are also available, Iīll look for someone. And about medieval smooth stones nobody could diferenciate a modern one  Grin. When I have the time Iīll try to make a "collage" with all the types in an only picture to compare the sizes and shapes.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark)