SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
homemade traps (Read 5587 times)
henryblowery

homemade traps
Oct 28th, 2004 at 11:01am

i was wandering if any of ya'll new how to make any homemade traps like snares and box traps or something like that

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Re: homemade traps
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2004 at 12:56pm

You know, I usually look to my copy of Ellsworth Jaeger's Wildwood Wisdom for this one, but I can't seem to find it. Looking to Outdoor Survival Skills, I see the two traps I know the best: the figure four deadfall and the spring pole snare.

The figure four part of the deadfall is made up of three sticks which are whittled so the horizontal part of the "4" holds a bit of food at its end, and so that if an animal disturbs this, it triggers the diagonal part of the "4" to release a heavy object (deadfall), whether a log or rock, crushing the animal.
http://dnausers.d-n-a.net/prepared/graphs/4fall.gif

The snare is a loop of string at the end of a supple sapling, and is held in place with any of a number of types of triggers, which release the sapling when an animal passes through the loop, tightening the snare around the animal's neck.
http://imnh.isu.edu/Public/JustForKids/CordageDiscoveryBox/Images/Uses/Snare6Web...

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2004 at 1:02pm

Here's some other good ones:
http://www.i4at.org/surv/traps.htm

Keep in mind that using these is usually illegal!

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2004 at 4:35am

I've used deadfall with the 4 shape sticks and it works ok (i used it to trap little birds using a box instead  the deadfall) easy to build but a little tricky to set .
also built several spring snares , but i wasn't unable to catch anything, (may be i  set them in the wrong places) anyway spriing snares looks great and trigger is very sensitive, and easy to build and set

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #4 - Oct 30th, 2004 at 11:49am

Are you wanting primitive or just homemade. If you want just homemade you can build a far better trap will braided steel wire. Modern trappers uses them. Here is a good website on trapping that will help you build you own traps.

www.buckshotscamp.com
www.sullivansline.com

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #5 - Oct 30th, 2004 at 4:34pm

I have a handmade/homemade beartrap and a moletrap in this room with me, both are probably over 100 years old. They are made from what looks like folded mildsteel with various little tweaks, but I have no idea, I'll have to take a closer look at them.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #6 - Oct 31st, 2004 at 1:35pm

if your wanting home made nothing better than the self locking snare just a L bracket and and cable or wire I prefer bike cable

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

henryblowery

Reply #7 - Oct 31st, 2004 at 1:44pm

to anser guns question pimitive is fine but manely just homemade

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Oct 31st, 2004 at 2:21pm

Heck, I know loads of primitive traps.  I did a lot of research on them over the summer.  Not a lot I can say, as traps are best shown as diagrams, but...
  The Ojibwe bird trap looks like a winner, easy to make, workable, &c.  Tosspole snare is good too, and I have trapped a rabbit with one - better than a spring snare.  Another great one is the squirrel stick.  Just a load of snares placed on a long stick that is placed diagonally on a tree (preferably one with edible nuts, so squirrels will climb it).  Squirrels look for the easiest way up a tree, and a diagonal path is great for them.  Look up these traps.  Or indeed, any traps.  Do a google search, or something.

IP Logged

henryblowery

Reply #9 - Nov 1st, 2004 at 2:02pm

english have you used the squirrel pole and it worked or have you just seen it an it looked like it wood wook

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 1st, 2004 at 2:29pm

I just saw it and I think it would work well.  The other two I know work.

IP Logged

henryblowery

Reply #11 - Nov 1st, 2004 at 7:33pm

english can you post a link or somthing about the traps i'v never made a trap like that that worked

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man)