Send Topic Print
making paper (Read 3702 times)
Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
making paper
Oct 24th, 2004 at 9:10pm

well its establised that im a little crazey and i would like to make a medival book. What i will write in it who knows? But i want some period paper too go with it. I have made recycled paper from like news papers and stuff but how would i make some period medival paper? what tree pland ect should i use.

i found out some sites on ink making, but if any of you have any tips on making ink medival style let me know

thanks

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: making paper
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2004 at 9:34pm

Wellll.... first you go and find three or four calves. Then you slaughter them and flesh and dehair the skins, followed by repeated stretching, scraping and sanding to acheive a smooth translucent surface. Depending on what you are using to write with (Iron gall anyone?) you may need to size the parchment as well.

Medieval books were rare and expensive things, lots of effort is required to do it right!

Matthias

Lots of good links out there...

http://www.sca.org.au/scribe/articles/parchment.htm
http://www.knaw.nl/ecpa/ink/make_ink_history.html

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2004 at 10:23pm

There is a paper bark tree but i don't know where you could get some of it.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2004 at 7:12pm

hmm cool. I was making it out of normal wood. thanks for the links.   Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 30th, 2004 at 12:23pm

A medieval book...
  Well, paper was actually around during the mid-late middle ages.  It is made from pressed wood pulp.
  Paper birch is common over most of the east coast of the USA.  Bark is best stripped in spring, so you have a long time to wait.

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #5 - Oct 30th, 2004 at 4:21pm

You could take a page out of the Roman books and simply take a thin box, fill either side about half way up with bees wax, and use a simple tool write in it with... okay for little notes maybe (and shopping lists, which is what most examples were thought to contain, being carried by servents to markets). You could of course use cloth, coarse leather, or something of that nature.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 31st, 2004 at 5:13am

That's a good idea, wax.  The problem is that the writing is not very clear.  I went on a school trip to Fishbourne Roman Palace when I was in primary school, and we we allowed to write in replicas.  Maybe it was just my poor handwriting.  I was only about 6.
  Skins were what plains native Americans, and some others, recorded events on.  Nice pictures to be seen.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #7 - Nov 2nd, 2004 at 5:14pm

I mean an actual book, with scraped paper pages. Ill give a shot of pressing pulp. I need a press dont i? Cry
oh well ill figure it out.

I think im just going to record all weapon realated making/using things in the book.. any one mind if i use there words? haha at the end ill even give this site credit. not period but..oh well. Just needs too look cool. Smiley

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2004 at 5:30pm

Books were a sign of wealth: if you had three or four you were like a millionaire.  So if you want to make an authentic one it's going to take a looot of work.  to make a cool-looking one, I'd research modern paper making and try to improvise yourself. The result is bound to look a lot more primitive than factory paper.  A brain-tanned leather cover would be cool too.  There's a really good book on brain tanning at the library.  Might want to check it out.

solobo88  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2004 at 6:05pm

i brain tanned leather before. with my uncile. It ashames me but i vomited after seeing him hit that deer with the hammer. made an owful sound. then he cut out the brain. did not bother me when he killed it. gutted it. but that did dont know why.

yep im debating on whether i should carve the wood and paint it or paint it on the leather.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #10 - Nov 2nd, 2004 at 7:30pm

I think you'll need to do a bit more research if you want this to be an authentic book. Deckle edges for example are just a byproduct of paper production, not a sign of quality or age. Easily trimmed off, and in a bound codex, usually undesirable. Books were meant to last.

Late medieval paper certainly existed, but wasn't used much for important things (and if it's a bound volume it's important) The process of pulping softwood is pretty nasty, and not period. Bast fibre (linen/hemp) and maybe cotton (depending on where you are simulating) would be more a ppropriate. Een today a lot of the "paper" that we think of as being wood fibre based actually isn't (your money for example)

Lots of good sites though! Check out a few...

http://www.ceu.hu/medstud/manual/MMM/paper.html

And THESE guys seem to be doing a good job!

http://www.saintjohnsbible.org/

That is the type of manuscript I would love to devote a year or so to writing. Illuminated, gilded, real vellum... ooooooo....

Matthias

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 3rd, 2004 at 1:29pm

Yeah... I remember watching a television programme (factual, I assure you) about how some Jewish inmates of Sachsenhausen concentration camp were forced to make forgeries of English pound notes during the Second World War.  The plan was to bankrupt the bank of England by flooding Britain with millions of forgeries.  The notes were absolutely perfectly made, of excellent quality linen.  But that was the problem.  The real pound notes were made of dirty linen from various industrial areas, so that they were maximum economy.  Just a little pointless story to show that paper money is linen.  Or at least, it was fifty years ago.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #12 - Nov 3rd, 2004 at 6:33pm

Oh ok. thanks ill have a look at those.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)